Saddle base 3D model for forged carbon mold

Hi evryone, i am looking for a 3D model of saddle base, it doesn’t matter if it’s impact, velo or an original model.

I need it for my upcoming project where i want to craft my own carbon saddle base with forged carbon technique. I am not sure if the forged carbon will be able to withstand my riding style (street, trial) and i don’t even know if this technique will work with the weird shape of the saddle base .

Maybe if there is some designer that could make me the model… for free… because i don’t have a lot of money…

You may want to get in touch with Mimo Seedler.

He produced carbon bases for his Railigion brand.

Thank you and yes i know about Mimo’s carbon saddle. (My friend owns one.)

I have started and stopped working on making a 3d model of a base on and off for a while.
Unfortunately, it’s a fairly complex geometry and not very trivial to model, I’d estimate ~30 hours of work to end up with something accurate enough to be compatible with existing handles and bumpers. Lots of measuring, test printing, measuring again and adjusting splines… (If anyone has a 3d scanner and would like to contribute, let me know). I’d share the model.

I’ve been pondering the possibilities of 3d printing a mould to make carbon fiber bases. Should be possible. You can use “forged carbon”, although I struggle to see any reason to use chopped strands instead of normal woven fibers. If you wanted to improve on existing carbon bases, including a foam core to add thickness would be the best way in my opinion.

Mimos base is made from the same mould as Axel’s bases were, as far as I know. As far as I know, it was made manually without a 3d model.

In the past money was the main issue keeping me from working on seatbase designs (not much motivation if I don’t have the required 200€+ I’d have to sink into making one), now with a proper job it will probably be more of a time issue…

1 Like

Thanks for reply! I know that the shape is really hard to do model of it because i tryed it and i failed. I think if i contact an experienced designer, it would be possible to do the model of the base.

This something I have been tinkering for a while, but If I have time I will try to finally complete this. I use Solidworks 3D cad, which would typically create a boxy shape that “might” be acceptable. However, a typically comfortable saddle geometry requires using the surfacing methods for lofting and blending curves. Also, carbon fiber material is “crispy/brittle” so any direct hit against the ground will shatter it, so some all possible edges need to be surrounded with material or rubber in the design.

If anyone else is interested in helping the basic steps are as follows:
1.) Take measurements of an actual saddle.
2.) Create the solid model in 2 halves(top and bottom) with a practical method for joining together. Possibly, a simple bolted joint with a recessed or inserted nut component. Adhesive might be okay. Also, add tooling/handling surfaces, because this is actually a mold for the composite fabric lay-up.
3.) Save the solid model as an STL or STEP file for 3d printing.

Actually, if you can find on a “community” networked printer there is a printer(markforged brand) that actually has printing heads that will print both the plastic and the fiber simultaneously. Then this could be the actual unicycle saddle material.

…slam