Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-09-16, 01:45 AM   #31
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
First impression, Liking it. The bigger, heaver 36" still seems to be in a class of it's own, and I love that big wheel ride. The feel of the lighter, thinner 32" wheel is more of a step up from a 28" than a smaller 36" wheel. The 32 seems as nimble as the 28", with a larger wheel.
Yes, that's right, it's more like a taller 28/29 than a short 36. Light and flickable, not much more work than riding a 29", but with more speed and stability.

It's not a replacement for the 36" which is still one of my favorite rides off road, I suppose if I had a Nimbus production version of the 32" and a real off road tire like I'm running on the 36", there's a chance it would be my primary muni; I find the 29" is a little twitchy and slow these days

My 32" is mounted in the Impulse, we're heading South tomorrow morning for a long single track ride at Raccooon Mountain. I wish I had my tire down already, the stock tire is a bit skinny for trail riding; though just right for road I'd imagine.

I'm in the process of building a tire using some old Ardents or maybe I'll drop some coin and get something else...but if my idea for the build works and the tire stays together, it might be worth repeating.

Sounds like you thought it was a worthwhile project

Spread the word, this could be the groundswell needed to get a new wheel standard.
Old 2012-09-16, 02:06 AM   #32
Chrashing
O>OO

Any good ways of getting rid of the donor carcass? It's an aluminum frame. I'm thinking I'll bring it a metal scrap yard. Seems a shame to trash it, haven't even taken the packing foam off the frame. Without the wheels, except for the seat and handle bar.. it's worthless, right?

Just occurred to me that the on line picture showed a bottle holder, I'll have to check for that.

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.

Last edited by Chrashing; 2012-09-16 at 02:07 AM.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 02:18 AM   #33
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I put my "carcass" in our front yard with a free sign, it was gone when I looked an hour later.

Okay, so I live in the land of the Clampets, so give it two hours in a more cosmopolitan area
Old 2012-09-16, 06:24 PM   #34
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

I am now the proud owner of a donor 32" bike ..... I think I will rebuild it with 29" wheels and sell it at some point to get the money back
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 06:46 PM   #35
tveit
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hogan View Post
I would really like to build a 32er

... if anyone wants to go halves on a Walmart 32 cruiser for a donor???????
I could make use of one set of 32" tire-and-rim, if you have one to much!

Cato
tveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 07:48 PM   #36
Chrashing
O>OO

Back from a few miles on the 32".

I don't have a technical review, It's a great unicycle, but I sorta missed my 36. The rail trail I ride is flat, fine for me on a 36. I'd say ride the largest wheel you like for how you like to ride. My ordered list would be:
1) the 36 standard, I have KH frame, nightrider tire, and typical heavy tube.
2) the 36 as above with a lightweight Foss inner tube, changes the heavy personality of the 36 into a standard unicycle feel. (I gave away my foss tube, and went back to the rubber tube.)
3) the 32 because it's bigger than the smaller wheels.

I did get a little off the paved trail and the 32 was fine, I easily got up a rocky slope that I have a hard time with on the 36. I could see a wider rim 32(this one is 1 inch) becoming popular with muni riders. I'll let Nurse Ben and others talk about that since I'm not off the paved path very often.

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 07:59 PM   #37
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveit View Post
I could make use of one set of 32" tire-and-rim, if you have one to much!

Cato
Sorry, the redundant wheel set is already gone...... but I will be back in the US over Xmas if you want another and could wait?
Old 2012-09-17, 12:52 AM   #38
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Rode out at Five points in NE georgia, on Lookout Mountain which is also home to Ruby Fall and Rock City:
http://www.sorba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37712

This was our first time there, trails opened last year with a big effort by SORBA. The trails vary from easy double track to tight steep psingle track. Most of the trails are built by hand on land donated to the Geogia State Deparment of Forestry.

I headed up the hill on the 32er, rode a sustained intermediate trail to th etop, looped around the mountain and took a screaming switchback ride down to the car. On the way up I was wishing I had longer cranks, on the way down I was really wishing I had longer cranks; running 150's, but would prefer 165's.

On my second loop I switched to the 29er because it was an "expert" trail. It didn't really rate expert, but it waas really twisty up and downs, with some super steep climbs, so it was probably better that I had a smaller wheel.

I'm starting on my frankentire this week, look for pictures and a how to write up, still contemplating tire choices, but I'm leaning toward either a 2.4 racing ralph or a 2.25 ardent.
Old 2012-09-17, 01:45 PM   #39
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
this is fun to read. i really like this idea
Old 2012-09-20, 02:00 PM   #40
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Just back from my first test ride on my 32 ..... wow its good, feels really light and manouverable
Old 2012-09-20, 02:58 PM   #41
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I could see a wider rim 32(this one is 1 inch) becoming popular with muni riders.
If Nimbus made a 32" Stealth 2 rim and the prototype 36er MTB tire was made for the 32", that would be a very winning combo.

For me, a 36" is a great XC muni as long as the uphills are reasonable. I don't have problems doing technical downhill on the 36", but long out of the seat climbs on tech terrain are exhausting and can leave me wishing for a lower gear (smaller wheel). Last weekend I chose the 32 for a long intermediate single track climb and it was hard but doable with a few rests. That same climb on the 36 would have been fun and hard; and probably required some walking, but then on the 29 I would have been "spinning out" and it would have been "boring".

The 32" has a place, the issue is convincing the mfgs that folks will buy it "in addition" to the 29 and 36. The bright side to the 32 is that it's faster than the 29 without being as "swing heavy" as the 36, so more agile while still riding like a big wheel.

There is a difference, about the same as going from a 26 to a 29, so if you have ridden those wheels, you know what I'm saying, so just project that difference from a 29 to a 32 or even down from a 36 to a 32.

I'll have my 32 with me at the California Munifest so folks can try it out, hopefully I'll have the frankentire done by then...

It is so cool that there are now four 32" unis in the world

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-09-20 at 02:59 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 04:05 PM   #42
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
There is a difference, about the same as going from a 26 to a 29, so if you have ridden those wheels, you know what I'm saying, so just project that difference from a 29 to a 32 or even down from a 36 to a 32.

To me it felt pretty much the same as the 29, just went faster and was slightly harder on very steep hills. Next project will be to schlumpf it
Old 2012-09-20, 08:18 PM   #43
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Hey Ben, is my "shrunken wheel" in that count? Does anyone know the BSD for the Walmart rims/tires yet? I wonder if they would fit my (700mm) rim.
Old 2012-09-20, 08:43 PM   #44
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Hey Ben, is my "shrunken wheel" in that count? Does anyone know the BSD for the Walmart rims/tires yet? I wonder if they would fit my (700mm) rim.
Make that five

I'm going to measure the rim along the bead seat when I pull the tire this weekend during frankentire fest, so I'll post those results.
Old 2012-09-21, 08:12 AM   #45
enaddi
"Durchgeknallte Einradbraut"

Send a message via ICQ to enaddi Send a message via MSN to enaddi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hogan View Post
To me it felt pretty much the same as the 29, just went faster and was slightly harder on very steep hills. Next project will be to schlumpf it
I am going to schlumpf it Any idea how i could calculate the spokelenght? I thought about 6 spokes and then 2 "emty holes.
enaddi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the missing link a 32, udc, unicycle, walmart