Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-10, 02:05 AM   #1
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

2013 Schwalbe tire line up, includes a DH 29er!!

http://reviews.mtbr.com/schwalbe-mtb-2013

RR 2.4 goes away, some tread changes, new info listing on tires to make it easier to know what you're getting, and the creme de la creme, a Hans Dampf downhill tire...

Quote:
From the MTBR Review of 2013 Schwalbe Tires:
As stated earlier, they’ll offer the 29″ size in almost every model of their MTB range. They did a large study and made some interesting findings about the characteristics of this tire size. They measured rolling resistance with a power meter test using their 29er tires, on different terrain and obstacles, and it showed they rolled 5-6% faster than a 26″. They also asked 50 test subjects for their judgement or ride experience in a 26″ vs 29″ comparison, in relation to wheelspin, somersault, holding a downhill line, safety, ride performance, comfort and optic. In every category, the 29er tire always came out top.
Pan down to the cutout picture of the Hans Dampf SG (Super Gravity)

<1000g, full snakeskin casing, rubber inserts for stiffness, folding bead, sticky rubber, high volume, three compound choices, what a tire!!

Yeah, it'll probably be $150

But I still want one in my stocking

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-07-10 at 02:13 AM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:06 AM   #2
DavidHood
Cokering rails2trails asphalt

Having successfully mounted my new Vee Rubber WaltWorks "Todd" tire on my 36er, I'm in the tire changing mood. I am waiting to switch out the Ardent that came standard on my KH29 (47mm wide rim) for Schwalbe to release a Super Gravity (SG) version of the Hans Dampf in the 29er sizes. The MTBR article Ben linked to above says 2013 will bring "all compounds to all product lines" which I assume to mean they will (eventually) release a Super Gravity Hans Dampf 29er tire. I don't care what it cost but I don't want to go to the trouble of mounting up a TrailStar version only to have Schwalbe release a Super Gravity the next week. So I'm going to ask you guys to get out your Crystal Ball again to estimate when in 2013 that dream will become a reality.
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:13 AM   #3
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I have not read anything confirming the SG Hans Damph 29er, so it's a toss up, though I don't know that it's worth the extra wait and cash (assuming they ever make it) because the regular Hans Dampf is very nice.

I have a 29x 3 Knard on order, if it rides as well as Josh says, then I may swing that way, in which case I might have a Hans Dampf you can try before buying...though I probably won't sell it because it's a really great tire.

If you want a Knard 29 x 3", then you you can wait a few months and get the revised Oracle frame with the high crown
Old 2013-01-06, 01:22 AM   #4
DavidHood
Cokering rails2trails asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
I have not read anything confirming the SG Hans Damph 29er, so it's a toss up, though I don't know that it's worth the extra wait and cash (assuming they ever make it) because the regular Hans Dampf is very nice.

I have a 29x 3 Knard on order, if it rides as well as Josh says, then I may swing that way, in which case I might have a Hans Dampf you can try before buying...though I probably won't sell it because it's a really great tire.

If you want a Knard 29 x 3", then you you can wait a few months and get the revised Oracle frame with the high crown
I'll be keeping my KH29 frame which means (even though I saw it as a "tight" fit on UDC UK) I'll be passing on the Knard.

Another repeat question I forgot the answer to: sparing no expense, and riding mostly on hardpack (locals frown on riding in the mud), should I get the PaceStar or TrailStar version given that I'm leaning toward the TrailStar "stickier" version despite the fact that it may wear out a little bit quicker. Anybody know of any "deals" in the USA right now?
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:54 AM   #5
munimag
Unicyclist

I ride the Pacestar on my KH29 and I think it is great. I don't know why anyone would need a stickier version.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 02:15 AM   #6
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

^^ what he said, Pacestar is at least as sticky as the Ardent and long lasting, what else could you want?
Old 2013-01-06, 06:42 AM   #7
Feisty
Unicyclist

Location: Worthing, England Unicycle 1: KH20 LN Sold Unicycle 2: KH24 (HS33) Sold Unicycle 3: 24 Impact Gravity Unicycle 4: KH26 (Disc) rebuilt Unicycle 5: KH29 (Disc) Unicycle 6: Triton 36 (Disc)
I ride a Hans Trailstar and have put 500-700 miles on it mixed use and it has no signs of any wear or even any chunks out of the tread from the flint I ride on (the sidewalls have taken a beating but held up fantastically).

Buy what you can find the cheapest as neither will disappoint in grip or longevity.
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, 29er, includes, line, schwalbe, tire