Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

View Poll Results: What weekend in June is best for you and yours? You can pick more than one
June 2-3 1 9.09%
June 9-10 1 9.09%
June 16-17 3 27.27%
June 23-24 2 18.18%
June 30-July 1st 8 72.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-26, 10:13 PM   #1
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Muni Gathering, Roanoke Virginia, June 2012: Pick a weekend and show up!

On the Mid Atlantic Muni thread we have a consensus that meeting to ride in the Roanoke area would be central to the greatest number of interested riders, and would meet the essential criteria of being away from the hot and humid valley weather, and have lots of riding choices.

Now we need to narrow down to a specific weekend, so post your preferred weekend(s) and let's get this sucker flying!!

If you have trail and camping links for the Roanoke area, please cross post those, also give your buddies a holler and see if you can get them out of their backyards for a weekend of riding.

I don't mind taking the lead and setting up a base camp, so I will plan to drive up Thursday night or Friday morning, then hang out and meet folks for rides as they arrive, so a PM ride Friday, AM and PM rides Saturday, then an AM ride Sunday if anyone is still around. I am game for any weekend, such is the life of the not so rich, but minimally structured reality within which I exist

I'm bringing all of my unis, can you say test rides??

We can exchange contact info by PM.

New poll, so post your preferences again...

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-26 at 10:19 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 11:18 PM   #2
munimag
Unicyclist

Here is a link to Douthat State Park which has camping, a swimming lake and over 40 miles of trails:

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/dou.shtml

And here is a link to the trail map:

http://www.hokiespokes.com/maps/douthat.pdf
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 11:36 PM   #3
jbtilley
Muni Foot

The last weekend listed would sink up with the work schedule. Voted.
jbtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 12:29 AM   #4
munimag
Unicyclist

Info on bike trails around Roanoke

Here is some info that I cut and pasted about mtb trails around Roanoke

Q: Where's the best mountain biking around Roanoke?

A: Below are five fantastic places to mountain bike.

Close to town is Carvins Cove, a roughly 11,000-acre watershed for the city's main reservoir. It is open to the public (there's a small daily fee of $3) and is chock full of both relatively flat, low-lying trails and steep climbs and awesome descents, if that's what you like. This place is great for Roanoke mountain bikers of all stripes. If you don't like single-track, there's a seven-mile fire road around it. Some of my articles about Carvins Cove are:
Carvins Cove's lower trails
The mystery of ClownHead
The Gauntlet
Carvins loop
The Fun House
Carvins Cove for the kids
And here is a good Carvins Cove Trail map.

About an hour north of Roanoke, near Clifton Forge, is the pristine Douthat State Park. It's gorgeous and mountainous, with beautifully groomed trails, gorgeous views, challenging climbs and wild and wooly descents. There a lake with a great beach and swimming, plenty of camping and even cabins you can rent.

A little more than an hour southwest of Roanoke is Mountain Lake. It has a beautiful old hotel, perched on the highest lake east of the Mississippi (at almost 4,000 feet above sea level) and 25 miles of trails spanning 5,000 acres that are open to the public for hiking and biking. They'll sell you a great map for a nominal fee.

Virginia's Explore Park has more than 12 miles of trails that range from easy to very challenging. Mountain biking is free, and they will rent mountain bikes and helmets to folks who don't have them. Milepost 115 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, (540) 427-1800.

Pandapas Pond, which is along U.S. 460 West of Blacksburg, is a favorite among mountain bikers in the New River Valley. There is no charge. Check out the story for directions and a map.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 01:14 AM   #5
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

I lived in Blacksburg from 1994-1999, great little college town, plenty of good food, great coffee shops.

Pandapas is a small area, most of the trails come off of a ridge above the ponds, there is a gravel road that accesses the trails, most of the trails are very short, there may be a few more linear trails since I lived in Blacksburg.

Mountain Lake is way, way, way up on a mountain outside Blackburg. The hotel was featured in Dirty Dancing. Trails up there are mostly doble track, jeep roads and such, there may be more since I was last there...

I used to ride at a large recreation area adjacent to Roanoke, it is centered on a popular resevoir, the trail network is probably a lot more evolved than it was when I was last there, I think it's the Carvin Cove Area we've been discussing. It has swimming, camping, a variety pf trails, and it's close to Roanoke whcih has a lot of resources.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-27 at 01:17 AM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 03:58 AM   #6
minimalist
less is more

I voted for all but the first two weekends. My 24 muni is in the shop being trued and unfortunately that always takes multiple weeks! I really need to learn how to do it myself.
minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 02:27 PM   #7
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
minimalist I voted for all but the first two weekends. My 24 muni is in the shop being trued and unfortunately that always takes multiple weeks! I really need to learn how to do it myself.
Bring it to the ride and I'll show you how
Old 2012-05-27, 10:54 PM   #8
minimalist
less is more

I just realized that I won't be able to go the weekend of June 16-17 in addition to the previous weekend.
minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 02:57 PM   #9
MadFurai
Skateboarder to Marine to Unicycler

No matter what weekend this happens in June, I'll be there at least for the two Saturday rides. Most likely, I can swing the Sunday morning ride, too, but we'll see. I vote for the Carvin's Cove area. It sounds like it has trails for all levels.

Last edited by MadFurai; 2012-05-28 at 02:59 PM.
MadFurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 07:08 PM   #10
jbtilley
Muni Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Bring it to the ride and I'll show you how
If you've got the itch to teach people how to true up wheels I'll bring my 29er and sign up for your class.
Old 2012-05-28, 10:41 PM   #11
ally1776
UniMudder

Send a message via Yahoo to ally1776
I'm going to try to get down, it sounds like a good time. As soon as you know which weekend, I will see if I can get off time from work and get a doggie sitter.
Also if there is anyone from the NY or PA area who may need a ride let me know if it's on the way or not too far maybe we can work out a carpool.

My Twitter Page

I plan on riding unicycles till I break a hip and then I'll ride a little longer.

Last edited by ally1776; 2012-05-28 at 10:41 PM.
ally1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 12:26 AM   #12
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Ally, that would be awesome!!

If you know anyone from the forum who lives up North, see if you can ride share.

So, I can't update the thread of the poll, so it's looking like the last weekend in June is the most popular.

And don't worry if you can only come for one day, someone (me) will be there to ride

How about a head count for Fri, June 29 to Sun, July 1st:

1) Nurse ben
2) (add your name if you can make it)
Old 2012-05-29, 12:49 AM   #13
jbtilley
Muni Foot

1) Nurse ben
2) jbtilley
3) (add your name if you can make it)

Last edited by jbtilley; 2012-05-29 at 12:50 AM. Reason: -
Old 2012-05-29, 01:17 AM   #14
ally1776
UniMudder

Send a message via Yahoo to ally1776
Ben, I know one guy who just started riding this year. I will ask him, I usually let him borrow my 26er. If he wants to go - cool. Chances are he will have to work. He is a college student home for the summer and pretty much always busy.

I'll try to find out tomorrow if I can take a couple days vacation, so hopefully I can put my name on the list

My Twitter Page

I plan on riding unicycles till I break a hip and then I'll ride a little longer.
ally1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 01:32 AM   #15
minimalist
less is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtilley View Post

1) Nurse ben
2) jbtilley
3) minimalist
4) (add your name if you can make it)
I'll bring my 29'er and my 24