Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-02-04, 10:28 AM   #1
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Starting little kids on unis

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodbotic View Post
My 7yr old daughter had rode past on her 20" uni.
So at what age did anybody get their little kids a uni? My oldest is just 5, and I don't think yet old enough - he doesn't have the dedication to keep going at something he doesn't get instantly. Or will he learn quickly enough at that age for it to be a lot less of an issue? I'm sure from comments he made that he'd have been really excited to get one for his recent birthday, but he wasn't so set on it that he's disappointed not to. I should point out that he was riding a bike at 3 1/2, though he was almost certainly physically capable of riding at just over 3, but refused to get on it without stabilisers as it was "too wobbly" (despite being a whizz on a scoot bike) - which is indicative of why he might have problems with a uni. I don't want to get him one too early and put him off.

Oh, and I've seen the videos of 3 year olds riding - however I was more interested in "average" kids, or anybody who has any comments given what I've said about mine.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 02:51 PM   #2
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

My daughter could ride 4-5 meters at the most at 6, 5 years old (last summer) on her 16" unicycle. I got her a Dodger 12" the year before and I think she could have learned then if she really wanted to. I hope she keeps trying next summer. It would be fun to ride with her.
Old 2012-02-04, 03:47 PM   #3
MadFurai
Skateboarder to Marine to Unicycler

I'm in the same boat. I have a 6 year old son who has been riding a b*ke since 5. I am considering purchasing a UNI for him in the next 8 months or so. I also have caution because I don't want him to get frustrated and "put off" by trying to introduce him to the sport too early. He is starting to mature some, so I think sometime in the next year will be fine. I think I might buy one on a random day and just put it in the garage for him to find. I think buying it as a birthday present or Christmas present would put added pressure on him to learn it, which could slow progress down.
Old 2012-02-04, 08:58 PM   #4
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

My son learned when he was a pre-teen and already an accomplished mountain biker, but it was still a struggle to keep him going and to push his limits. If I were to teach a younger child, I'd look at building a trainer, maybe one that has two parts:

The first part would be a front / back strut with a wheels that can be adjusted up and down, so like training wheel but turned 90 degrees. I'd expect that this part of the trainer would more permanent in the short term.

The second part would be a ring with small wheels or slider on each side, this would be more for getting the initial feel of unicycling/riding, esp if they don't already ride a bike.

If you start young enough, they could learn to unicycle before learning to bicycle, how cool would that be?!

There some examles out there already; the AUS UDC had some on their blog I think. I have even considered building a trainer to use when teaching, as much as that happens; damn lazy hillbillies! Okay, they're not really hillbillies, most are just lazy normal couch potato fatties who think riding a bike is hard enough

Okay, off the pulpit. Yes, teach them young, that's my only regret, that I never learned how to ride as a kid.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 11:47 PM   #5
rawcyclist
Another unicycling geologist

My son started at 8 and that worked great for him. I didn't start riding till after him so I had no idea how to teach him. He pretty much picked it up himself and made enough progress each session that he did not loose interest.
rawcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 05:05 AM   #6
Tucson Uni
Andy

My daughter is 7 (close to 8), and she just learned how to ride. I bought her a uni about a year and a half ago. She has practiced on and off since then, and I never pushed her too hard. Scott and Tomas visited last month, and after that, she got motivated again. Now, she can ride and is excited about it. Tomas's daughter, who is 8, also learned to ride recently.
Old 2012-02-06, 06:22 AM   #7
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Ziggy Cohen rode at 2 1/2.

Basically big enough to fit on a 12". I read here of a guy who helped his daugter to learn but she was still too small to ride a cut down 12" frame, so he added blocks to the pedals. She did it at 3.

The most important thing is for them to want to ride. If he/she isn't really into it, that's fine maybee later.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2012-02-06 at 06:24 AM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 02:40 AM   #8
evil-nick
Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
Send a message via ICQ to evil-nick
My son turns 4 in a few months, and I'm getting him a unicycle. The only thing that worries me is how hard it will be to teach him. He lives in a different city with his mother, and so I only see him once a month or so. Just don't know if he'll like it when every month he's back to learning it. Then again, he'll be 4. By the end of the 1st day he'll probbaly be doing uni spins and crank flips (dang kids and they interwebs and jPhones!)
evil-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 01:47 AM   #9
blueharmony
Kenny Cason

The question of how old a kid has to be before learning to uni is difficult to answer in general as each kid is different. Just as a two year old can't reach over his head with his right hand and touch his left ear (arms are too short, head is too big) there is no exact date when this is no longer the case.

I my experience most kids need to be around 6 before they have the interest and the coordination, but this is a VERY rough estimate. We have a girl that just started riding and can already ride accross the gym the long way by herself and I'd say she is probably 5 or 6. This age distinction is also because, since our team is connected with an elementary school, we don't usually see kids until 1st grade - so about age 6. Several years ago we had a 4 or 5 year old rider that was comfortable on a uni but had yet to learn to ride a bike. It didn't hurt that her entire family rode unis already.

My personal feeling is if they are interested enough they will figure it out regardless of their age. The little buggers can learn fast!
Old 2012-02-09, 07:18 AM   #10
Unicorn
Unicyclist

Kids Learning to Ride

I have two boys they are aged 6 and 7. The seven year old has a 16" uni and the 6 year old has a 12" uni. For over a year now I have been taking them to the tennis court to practice. They are just now starting to let go of the fence. They could ride bikes no problem at the age of three and I have been doing cross country rides with them for a few years now. Them on thier bikes and me on my KH24. I have stopped trying to push them because it is just the right speed with them on thier bikes while I am on the KH. (I will have to move up to the KH29 though soon.) They just don't seem that motivated even though I promised them money when they could ride accross the court.
I am sure that they will get it when they want to.

The Unicycling Commune
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 08:33 AM   #11
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
I promised them money when they could ride accross the court
I too have promised my 6 year old daughter a small reward for riding a specific distance, but she got frustrated because the progress did not come fast enough. Instead I promised her the reward for practising a lot, and that seemed to help a little.
Old 2012-02-09, 10:00 AM   #12
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
They could ride bikes no problem at the age of three and I have been doing cross country rides with them for a few years now. Them on thier bikes and me on my KH24. I have stopped trying to push them because it is just the right speed with them on thier bikes while I am on the KH. (I will have to move up to the KH29 though soon.)
Yeah - that's just about where I am with my 5yo and my 26" - motivation for me to keep improving before he outpaces me. It was interesting when I first started riding the muni on stuff I'd taken him on his bike, and suddenly I understood why he needed to get off and walk stuff - I was walking the same bits!

Thanks for all the comments - I'm getting the feeling I'm right in my decision to put off getting my son a uni for at least another year. Not really keen on having to offer rewards for riding - I'd much rather he was self-motivated, as he is with riding a bike.
Old 2012-02-09, 10:41 AM   #13
UniMyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Not really keen on having to offer rewards for riding
I agree, but would you consider it if your kid lacked motivation to keep on practicing?
Old 2012-02-09, 02:39 PM   #14
wdmunicyclist
Unicyclist

I bought my daughter a unicycle at age 3 - it was too young, but she just turned 5 and now is totally into it. We practice a lot, but she is not there yet.
wdmunicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 03:59 PM   #15
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniMyra View Post
I agree, but would you consider it if your kid lacked motivation to keep on practicing?
Maybe if I knew he was going to get the self-motivation with a little help. Not if that was the only thing keeping him going - I'd just put the uni away until later.

Tags
kids, starting, unis