Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-15, 01:06 AM   #16
MulgoaMUni
Unicyclist

Anyone used the Duro Boomerang?

http://www.weirderthebetter.com.au/e...%2020%22%22%22

Thing looks huge!
MulgoaMUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 07:29 PM   #17
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Rumor has it that the Devist8er 26 x 4" is going to be available in an ultralight formulation that could weigh as little as 1200gm.

This seems too good to be true, but some foks are already finding that the weights on current Devist8ers has already decreased from 1850gm to 1500m, so keep an eye out for the Devist8er 2 and other Vee Rubber tires coming down the pike...

Also Surly is now marketing an Ultralight version of Larry and Nate...

A lighter tire would really improve the usability of the fat tire muni
Old 2012-11-26, 10:50 PM   #18
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Anyone has ridden these fat beasts in the snow? I'm think about getting either a Surly Nate (26x4.0") or a 45Nrth Hüsker Dü (26x4.0"). I can get both of these tires at a LBS, and I'm making a frame to fit these tires at my school tomorrow.
Old 2012-12-08, 02:50 AM   #19
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Hey Jaco, I have ridden in the snow a bunch of times and pretty much any fat tire will work fine. Traction is good unless you get going fast down a hill and try to stop => sliding is fun too

Traction is really not an issue as there is only so much traction a tire can provide on snow, so a lower profile tread will be fine and will also be easier to ride on non snow trails and it will require less energy because there is less resistance.

Personally I'm staying away from the Nate, it has very aggressive rubber with tall knobs, so it will take more energy to ride. UL Husker Du is a nice compromise between the Nate and Larry, and it has gotten good reviews. UL Larry is a fine tire, though it's dated and since it's the same price as the UL HD, UL Nate, and the Knard, I'd stay away. The New Knard folding may be a worthwhile choice but wait for reviews and a weight; I have one on order.

Weight and rolling resistance are what separate the tires, that and some autosteer which varies from tire to tire. Check out the fat bike tire reviews to see what folks are running on the front of their fat bikes, that's a good way to see how a tire will ride for us.

My Fav tire is the Devist8or because it just rides so well, super stable, no autostear, great traction, super tough casing, but it is also the heaviest tire you can buy at ~1800gm. On a bright note, you can get them for cheap

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-12-08 at 02:52 AM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 09:26 PM   #20
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Question

Hey guys,

winter is back with its snow jacket !! It is time for the fat tires

I am thinking about getting one but still have some questions unanswered:

=> What is best a light tread (like Larry) or a a more knobbier one (like the Knard or Lou) for riding in fresh non-packed snow ?

=> Has anybody has the chance to give a try to other non-Surly tires a try on fresh snow ? How does they hold (best or worse than Larry or Lou) ?

I am seeing some very cheap big volume tires (Origin8 Devist8er and Vee Rubber Mission) but I would love to know what is the best suited to ride on fresh snow qs if it was lust a funny white trail :P
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 03:26 AM   #21
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The Vee Rubber tires are heavy, but they ride well and they are inexpensive. If the devist8er were as light as a newer Larry, it'd be my go to fat tire.

I have a 26 x 3.8 and a 29 x3 Knard on order in a folding bead, but since the folding Knard in all sizes is still not available, it's gonna be a couple weeks before any reviews are forthcoming.

I liked the Larry okay, but I think there are some better tires available now.

Avoid anything with a wire bead, they are much heavier construction, though they are less expensive.

All the Surly and 45North tires run on similar casings, so you should pick the tire based on the tread pattern you prefer and the lightest weight casing you can afford.

Deeper/taller knobbies are not always better.

The only reason I'd skip the ultralight casing is if you ride on a lot of sharp edged rocks.

The absolute beefiest casing is the Deivst8er.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-12-31 at 03:26 AM.
Old 2012-12-31, 01:47 PM   #22
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Wink

Hi Nurse Ben,

thanks for the insight. Even though this thread is more of a generic review of fat tires, I am targeting such tire only to use in fall/winter for what they are advertised for initially: snow/sand/mud

For the other situations (fast/nimble XC and rocky/steep downhill), I have my current tires

I am having a hard time to find on the internet reviews of fat tires that mention performances in snow, hence my bump of this thread hoping that any canadian uni riders (or other place with its fair share of snow) can provide me more insight about what tire/tread to target in order to paddle in snow with ease (even more in the fresh powder).

Last edited by Siddhartha Valmont; 2012-12-31 at 01:48 PM.
Siddhartha Valmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 01:24 AM   #23
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

I have ridden the Devast8or and regular Larry, but it's been a while since riding either. The devast8or was bigger, heavier and slower but I would say a bit easier to control and improved front/back grip. It really isn't a bad tire but it is HEAVY (1880g vs the 1350g Larry)

Snow varies a lot depending on location and conditions. In wetter snow I would pick the devast8or over Larry and in dry I would probably go with Larry over devast8or I think the knew Knard looks like it would be a great dry snow tire and Lou (if you can fit em') looks like about the ultimate wet snow tire.
Old 2013-01-01, 01:20 PM   #24
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I am having a hard time to find on the internet reviews of fat tires that mention performances in snow, hence my bump of this thread hoping that any canadian uni riders (or other place with its fair share of snow) can provide me more insight about what tire/tread to target in order to paddle in snow with ease (even more in the fresh powder).
"paddle with ease in the snow"

Snow is funny stuff, it packs down and sticks to your tire at times, while at other times it's slimy like goose pump, then it freezes and become slippery like ice. Unlike mud, dirt, and rocks, snow changes consistency as you ride so the "best tire" will change as the "ideal snow" for that tire change.

The reason you want to look at the fat tire performance in dirt and mud is because this will give you an idea of how the tire performs in general, which is applicable to snow.

For instance, if you look at the Larry and Devist8er tread patterns, you might think the Larry has the advantage because the chevron pattern is shaped like a wedge to "paddle" the tire through the snow. In reality, the two tires perform very similarly in snow, with a small advantage going to the Devist8or because it sems to collect less snow when the snow is sticky.

If you are on a budget, get the Devister or a wire bead Larry on sale. If you want to spend some money and want the best multiuse tire, wait on the Knard reviews.
Old 2013-01-02, 12:12 AM   #25
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Nate runs great in snow!

It seemed to have MUCH more traction than the Larry. In the Summer, at Moraine, it had a bit too much grab. In the Winter, in 6 in of wet snow, it works as good as any tire can. Off camber is a problem for almost any uni tire in the snow.

The road ride back at sub 10 PSI wasn't a problem either.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 10:38 PM   #26
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
I got my Larry today! I currently only have a 50mm wide rim, it seems like it will be enough though. I'm not sure if I'll get something wider, if I do it wont be more than a Large Marge as I dont want to go too wide.

I still dont have a frame for it, the Larry on the 50mm rim is 85mm at the widest point, I'm starting school again on Monday so I'll talk to my teacher to make a frame ASAP.

Does anybody know who wide is the Nimbus 29er Oracle frame at the crown? I've been told there are a few 29er bike forks that can fit a fatty, I'm just wondering if it could be the case with some unicycle frames.

EDIT: Looking at the pictures on UDC, the 29er tire looks pretty tight, I doubt the Larry would fit in.

Last edited by jaco_flans; 2013-01-04 at 10:40 PM.
jaco_flans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 12:58 AM   #27
muni123
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulgoaMUni View Post
Anyone used the Duro Boomerang?

http://www.weirderthebetter.com.au/e...%2020%22%22%22

Thing looks huge!
I don't know about the tire but I've heard the rim is very weak.

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs
muni123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 03:55 PM   #28
unigoat
Uni CX is a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_flans View Post
I got my Larry today! I currently only have a 50mm wide rim, it seems like it will be enough though. I'm not sure if I'll get something wider, if I do it wont be more than a Large Marge as I dont want to go too wide.
A Large Marge is a very nice balance of width and stability. It will still run down to a 2.5" tire without laying it's profile too flat. With the 3.8 it's stable too.

The 50mm wide should be fine for now.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 02:53 AM   #29
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The 26 x 4" Surly Knard arrived today, so of course I had to go ride it

Installed easilly, nice and straight, aired up to 30psi to set the bead, dropped the pressure to 15psi and went riding. I gradually reduced the pressure every ten minutes or so until I got down to 10psi.

The Knard rides much like a Larry in that it often likes to go straight when you want to turn, I call this "straightlining". The Big Fat Larry was a straightlining fool, the Larry less so, the Knard about like Larry at higher pressures (15-12.5 psi), but when I dropped the 10psi the Knard was much more compliant and straightlined less.

The Knard is fast rolling and has a very predictable slide, i.e. in the mud when I was drifting, it was controllable and didn't suprise me. I rode some pretty slimy uphill trails, I think the Knard did as least as well as the Larry would have done, maybe not quite as good as the Devist8or.

Though the Knard has the same casing as the Larry, it seemed firmer even at lower pressures, this could be due to the tire still having some break in to do. Overall it's a very nice multi use tire, probably not the best for all snow conditions as it lacks deep tread, but for fast riding on packed snow, ice, firmer condiions where bite is less improtant than speed, it's a nice tire.

In comparing the tire to a more common mtb tire, I'd say that the tread is like a Racing Ralph, though much, much fatter and with more edge knobbies to grip when carving.

I'll post some pics later in the weekend. Weight was 1350gm.
Old 2013-01-14, 02:22 AM   #30
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Only one ride so far, had to go skiing, so much to do, so little time...

Some more comments that come to mind:

Awesome self cleaning tread, even though I was riding in clay, as you can see from the pics, the tire has no mud residue from the ride.
The Knard is not a directional tread, so you can't put it on backwards
I'm running a Maxxis Freeride tube, 2.5", works quite well, also 2/3 the weight of a Surly Toob

The Knard 26 x 3.8 120tpi:

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2013-01-14 at 02:28 AM.