Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-02-27, 07:29 PM   #106
dmacuni
The other unicycling geologist.

Cranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
..... install longer cranks, usually 150's......
Hey Terry,

Sorry to diverge, but out of curiosity, what cranks are mounted on your 36er in that still shot? They don't look chunky enough to be the current KH moments.....

Cheers,

Dmac
Old 2012-02-27, 07:43 PM   #107
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacuni View Post
Hey Terry,

Sorry to diverge, but out of curiosity, what cranks are mounted on your 36er in that still shot? They don't look chunky enough to be the current KH moments.....

Cheers,

Dmac
I used the nimbus isis 165's. Super light. I normally would use 150mm moments for 36er MUni, but the pair I was going to use had lost the thread retainer rings. Even though I was running a maggie brake, I didn't need to use it much because the long cranks had plenty of leverage for backpressuring.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-02-27 at 07:45 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 09:18 PM   #108
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Hey Terry, I rode a standard grab handle, brakes, and a Nightrider. I found the tire to be slippery on rock, and a little "hard" in terms of rebound, with insufficient edge when the tire was put on edge. I tried a lot of different pressures and never found one that spoke to me. It was fun riding a 36er off road and it was easier to ride at speed vs a guni, but the tire was a game killer. I'd want an Ardent type tire before investing in another 36er because trail riding is all I do.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 09:38 PM   #109
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Hey Terry, I rode a standard grab handle, brakes, and a Nightrider. I found the tire to be slippery on rock, and a little "hard" in terms of rebound, with insufficient edge when the tire was put on edge. I tried a lot of different pressures and never found one that spoke to me. It was fun riding a 36er off road and it was easier to ride at speed vs a guni, but the tire was a game killer. I'd want an Ardent type tire before investing in another 36er because trail riding is all I do.
I guess it's holds true that what works for some may not work as well for others, and vice versa, but I've been very happy with the nightrider's performance on even the most technical of terrain. And the tread has plenty grip for me, even on smoother rock surfaces...unless it's wet!

But I can also see how a MUni-specifc tire would be even better, especially in terms of sidewall strength. But a sidewall that won't fold with the lower psi needed for MUni, would necessarily have to be firmer with at least 2 plys, which will add to the weight. Then when you add a more aggressive tread with beefier knobs, that will also add weight. I'm just not sure that you can have both a strong, higher volume 36er tire that's made primarily for MUni, and still have it be the lightest 36er tire on the market. Would love to see it happen though!

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2012-02-27 at 09:40 PM.
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 09:52 PM   #110
DavidHood
Cokering rails2trails asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
What tire dod you have on it? I've ridden my 36 many times offroad with the nightrider tire, and it performed great! When I put her in MUni-mode I remove the t-handle and aerobars of course, install longer cranks, usually 150's, and lower the psi to maybe half of the max. And the last time I rode MUni with it, it was at Hummingbird trail, which is mostly rocky and steep!

I even remember riding my "Radial" 36er off road years ago, and that one had the TA tire, which is like the current coker XLR. That one worked very well for MUni as well, which surprised me considering the traditional road tread design.

Attachment 52729
I'm still on the list for one. The tread doesn't look very "pavement friendly" and I'm in it strictly for the rotational weight savings so it's probably going on my Nimbus Impulse (which is already pretty darn light) mainly because I don't trust my LBS with my Schlumpf.

I agree with Terry that the NightRider does pretty well as an off-road MUni but the trails around have low ceiling clearance issues. The MTBR's clear the low stuff but riding a 36er at Cherokee Park is a constant tree limb in the face.
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 04:02 AM   #111
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
I'm still planning on getting one for muni and another for road that I will shave down for super light racing use.
scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 09:14 PM   #112
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
is there a tire tread choice yet?
Old 2012-02-28, 09:16 PM   #113
unigoat
Unicon 17- Are you registered yet?

Personally, I'm really excited for the offroad possibilities of the tire. The definition of 36er MUni varies wildly (at least as much as the term does in non 36er contexts). The Nightrider has dropped me to the ground on numerous occasions due to lack of traction coupled with off camber trails. It's been useless for several races that I could have pushed the 36" wheel.

I couldn't imagine the Radial.

I did get a Coker Anti-Skid recently. It is a bit more promising as far as straight line traction goes, but is REALLY heavy and still lacks volume and off camber traction that a moderate tread MTB tire would provide.

When the ordering goes down, I'm in for 2.
unigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 12:00 PM   #114
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
put your name on the list
Old 2012-04-05, 08:02 AM   #115
UAC
lonely rider

Bump!
I was wandering if there is any chance of getting the new big tire this summer or at least...year?
well...
Old 2012-04-09, 12:52 AM   #116
mbeardsl
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAC View Post
Bump!
I was wandering if there is any chance of getting the new big tire this summer or at least...year?
well...
We are working on it daily. Not sure about date as we will need a second prototype to refine the tire. Initial impression is that the tread is good but weight needs to come down a bit more. Will update with solid facts as we know more.

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Matt
mbeardsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 01:48 PM   #117
delta 224

Location: New York, dutchess county 20"trials, 24 muni w/ maggies, 29" crossover, 36" nightrider w/ mountainuni disk brake
+1 for me, do we specify which tread we want?
delta 224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 04:16 AM   #118
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
Thanks Matt

I agree with the take your time and get it right approach. We don't need another nightrider.

Would you post some pics of the current prototype or are you going to wait until you have one you are happy with before sharing? I understand if you want to wait but it would put to rest the "what tread pattern" question.
Old 2012-04-21, 01:58 AM   #119
mbeardsl
Unicyclist

Progress, but more needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Thanks Matt

I agree with the take your time and get it right approach. We don't need another nightrider.

Would you post some pics of the current prototype or are you going to wait until you have one you are happy with before sharing? I understand if you want to wait but it would put to rest the "what tread pattern" question.
I'll post some details Sunday night, but here's a teaser:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/waltwork...-663550-6.html
mbeardsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 03:15 AM   #120
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Wow, those are some nice tires, looking very much like Ardents but with a less prominent high centerline.

So Eric, you like ?

Tags
g 36, interested, tire