Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-11-04, 06:30 PM   #46
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

It's been a good week for me. Riding is showing improvement. My mounts are getting better. Hitting them about 90% of the time. Last week while in San Francisco I did a little riding around Fort Mason. The terrain was uneven and I had to cross over several rail tracks that proved to be challenging. I made it out to the end of one of piers to be rewarded with a great view of the bay and Alcaltraz.

My daughter and the other two kids that I was chaperoning did a bit of street perfoming with their unis and diabolos on Friday night down at Powell and Market. They passed the hat and received $16.13. They had a blast and have something to tell their kids. Saturday they rode down Lombard St., and on down to Pier 39, then over to Ghirardelli Square. My skills are not up to par with them, so I followed on foot and took pictures.
Old 2011-11-06, 09:04 PM   #47
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Hi. I'm not quite 48, but over 40 which makes me old too doesn't it? Have just learned to ride myself - have had the uni well over a year, but spent most of that time only getting on for 10 or 15 minutes once or twice a month, so didn't make much progress. Only really started trying to learn properly about 6 weeks ago, and a month ago was still at the stage of only managing about 10 revs before UPD. In the last week I've ridden a couple of miles each way along the bike path into town to go shopping (managed 15 minutes without UPD) and done the school run on the uni a couple of times - a trip only about half a mile each way, but including some significant ups and downs.

I've got different skills - have the wheel grab freemount nailed to better than 95% (though the conventional static mount without touching the wheel is still less than 10%), and fairly competent on hills. Have also done a bit of off-road riding and over bumpy surfaces. Can't idle or go backwards though. It kind of depends what you practice - the street I live on is almost traffic free, so great for learning uni, but has quite a slope down to the other end. Once I got up to 30 revs without UPD I either had to learn to turn in a tight space or tackle the hill (my tight turns are still a bit dodgy ). I actually find going down easier as it's mostly technique, whilst going up is strength and balance.

I agree it's all about practice. It seems there's always something new to learn - but surely most are easier than just getting riding in the first place? My theory is that you need to keep pushing yourself with new stuff even before you've nailed what you can already do. I'm working on turns and riding kerbs, and also throwing in some off-road riding (as well as working on that freemount, and maybe trying to work out idling) - the additional balance challenge and learning to recover from being off-balance has to help normal riding. Doing different stuff also helps prevent getting stale and frustrated - when you've had enough just go back to what you can do and have fun for a bit.

Last edited by aracer; 2011-11-06 at 09:06 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 03:31 AM   #48
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

Aracer, have you tried the static freemount, with the back of the wheel to the kerb? That really helps you find out how forward you have to be when freemounting.

Last Thursday I rode for 16km, and my right ankle is aching again. I thought it was healed. Most of my tendons has healed from the sprain in august, and now the soreness is more pinpoint. I guess all the jumping from trying to mount the 36" is not good. I think that it is the peroneal tendon. I think I will ask my chiropractor for referrals to a sports doctor, want to get rid of this problem once and for all.
LoneReaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 04:36 AM   #49
LoneReaction
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneReaction View Post
Last Thursday I rode for 16km, and my right ankle is aching again. I thought it was healed. Most of my tendons has healed from the sprain in august, and now the soreness is more pinpoint. I guess all the jumping from trying to mount the 36" is not good. I think that it is the peroneal tendon. I think I will ask my chiropractor for referrals to a sports doctor, want to get rid of this problem once and for all.
This was supposed to go into the learning journal
LoneReaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 01:53 PM   #50
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

Spent some time riding at a local park the other day. It has some nice dirt/gravel trails that are well groomed with a rolling profile (only a bit of technical, and I avoided that). I did well maneuvering through and around the dips in the trail, as well as the inclines/declines. But the one obstacle I found most challenging was a 1 inch rise from the trail to a concrete walkway. For some reason I just could not get over it. Each time that I attempted to roll up and over it I was stopped dead in my tracks. Riding from the opposite direction on to the dirt was no trouble. Most of my riding so far has been on a gym floor where I don't have to contend with changes in terrain so this is another new skill for me to learn. As with everything else I am sure it is a matter of doing. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 2011-11-28, 08:34 PM   #51
Grizoo
Unicyclist

Please take into consideration that this is advice coming from someone who is still trying to jump up curbs, but try transfiring some weight of the seat and onto your legs as you pass over small obsticales it helps me!!!
Grizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 11:54 PM   #52
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

As another relative newbie (been riding less than 2 months), the trick I find with riding up stuff is to be prepared to be thrown forwards when you hit it. I've been riding in terrain from just about as soon as I could ride 50m without UPD, as the street outside my front door where I've learnt isn't flat. Initially I was anticipating the bump, slowing right down and leaning back, but the lack of momentum from doing this isn't helpful. A better trick is to bend in the middle - something I picked up from watching tutorials on landing rolling hops - this allows you to keep going and absorb the forwards kick by straightening up without moving your CofG forwards too much.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:55 PM   #53
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizoo View Post
...try transfiring some weight of the seat and onto your legs as you pass over small obsticales it helps me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
As another relative newbie ...I was anticipating the bump, slowing right down and leaning back, but the lack of momentum from doing this isn't helpful. A better trick is to bend in the middle - something I picked up from watching tutorials on landing rolling hops - this allows you to keep going and absorb the forwards kick by straightening up without moving your CofG forwards too much.
Thanks for the advice. I did notice that I was anticipating and then slowing down as I approached. I then tried to speed up, but I think I may have already put the wrong mental note in my brain causing my UPD.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:59 PM   #54
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

Got another one of the Circus Dads (46 years young) interested in riding and we working at it together. I have to admit that I'm jealous though, he was able to take advantage of the K-1's blowout and got a White Russian.
Old 2011-11-30, 02:04 PM   #55
krjames
Unicyclist

Regarding the 1" curb, get your weight on to the pedals, don't stop pedaling( we all stop when we are new..) and if you can, grab the handle. But definitely weight on feet and driving up into it. If you think driving forward you will probably pop off the front anyway.

And if you don't get it, go back and try it again until you do. There is a mental thing going on as well and just hitting the problem repeatedly will help the brain. Worked for me anyway, and I still do often go back and do something again if I bungle it, especially if I think I should be able to get it.

Cheers

James
"If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV."
— Homer Simpson
Haven't got the karate suit
krjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 11:01 PM   #56
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjames View Post
And if you don't get it, go back and try it again until you do. There is a mental thing going on as well and just hitting the problem repeatedly will help the brain. Worked for me anyway, and I still do often go back and do something again if I bungle it, especially if I think I should be able to get it.
This. If it's something I think I should be able to do like going up a bump, and I fail, then normally I'll go back and repeat until I get it.
Old 2011-12-01, 01:51 PM   #57
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
This. If it's something I think I should be able to do like going up a bump, and I fail, then normally I'll go back and repeat until I get it.
Thanks for all the help everyone. I don't think that I mentioned that it was at the top of a rise in the trail. So I was moving slower do to the climb and I am still not to adept at low speeds. On level terrain, such as transitioning from street to driveway, I can clear the 1" rise their because of my momentum. But this little bugger gave me trouble. Tried it several times in the hope to overcome it, but ran out of time and had to head home. Life has prevented us from getting back over there, but I will soon. Meanwhile elsewhere as time provides.

Cheers
Old 2012-03-24, 02:33 PM   #58
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

It has been awhile since I last posted. I have been very busy with a new job as a summer camp director. I'll be living at camp from June 8th to Aug 12th. For one of the sessions, our YMCA brings up their circus equipment and we teach circus arts. This includes uni-cycling, so I just might have to buy a muni. My riding has been coming along wonderfully. This week I had a breakthrough and can now stand up out of the saddle while riding, and bunny hop as well. I went up to the camp yesterday to have our climbing wall inspected and took a few minutes to ride around. Didn't attempt any off-road, just stuck to the pavement.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-25, 04:06 AM   #59
DhEXED
n00bie

Sounds like you are ready for off-road. Just drop the pressure in your tire to around 20 psi and do something flat. The first mistake you will make is that you will try to stand up on every root and bump. this will cash out your quads fast. instead lower the pressure in the tire till you can roll over the small roots with out leaving your seat, save that for the bigger stuff. You will build up confidence in time and be rocking it! I hope this helps. Muni is all about baby steps.

Peace to you and yours,
Hex

Last edited by DhEXED; 2012-03-25 at 04:11 AM.
DhEXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 09:23 PM   #60
Byc
Unicyclist

Welcome to Municycling.

And thanks for sharing your way there with us. Keep the pictures coming, maybe a video sometime.

Greetings

Byc
Byc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, uni