Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-01-20, 11:11 AM   #31
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
Any vehicle driver knows what kinds of things can make a cyclist slow down and will drive with appropriate caution.
LOL (at the driving with appropriate caution bit!)
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 12:25 PM   #32
kamikaze
Stormrider

Send a message via ICQ to kamikaze Send a message via AIM to kamikaze Send a message via MSN to kamikaze Send a message via Yahoo to kamikaze Send a message via Skype™ to kamikaze
How else would they have acquired a driving license?

Join Unicyclemap.com!
----
[ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 04:04 PM   #33
EwokChieftain
rides like an egyptian

Quote:
No vehicle driver expects a cyclist to retain his full speed uphill.
Some don't expect anything because they are driving with their brain stem only. I was pessimistically assuming a half-asleep commuter, who is dizzily directing his warm high-speed uterus...
Edit: Oh and I don't want to write against car drivers only. Many bicyclists ride in each other's slipstream, although it's illegal in traffic for good reason. Even in the slipstream of cyclists they don't know - putting them into danger.
Quote:
Any vehicle driver knows what kinds of things can make a cyclist slow down and will drive with appropriate caution.
Sure, people always notice everything and give traffic their undivided attention.
Quote:
How else would they have acquired a driving license?
By the sheer luck of coming across nothing too unexpected on the day of their test.
It occurs that people lose their licenses. Do you think they just begin to be bad drivers that exact day and are then caught immediately?

Last edited by EwokChieftain; 2012-01-20 at 04:11 PM.
EwokChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 04:26 PM   #34
EwokChieftain
rides like an egyptian

Quote:
Some don't expect anything because they are driving with their brain stem only.
source (German)
The quoted traffic scientist mentions rear-end collisions in this context...
Old 2012-01-20, 05:02 PM   #35
kamikaze
Stormrider

Send a message via ICQ to kamikaze Send a message via AIM to kamikaze Send a message via MSN to kamikaze Send a message via Yahoo to kamikaze Send a message via Skype™ to kamikaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by EwokChieftain View Post
source (German)
The quoted traffic scientist mentions rear-end collisions in this context...
And what is the most ingrained reflex in any driver? Brake. It's the default reaction to everything unexpected. I don't see the danger in that.

Join Unicyclemap.com!
----
[ Karlsruhe/Germany - kamikaze@bsdforen.de ]
----
onewheeldave: deep in my heart I feel that unicycling was born of heroes and atheletes, not clowns and entertainers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 11:31 PM   #36
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Here's my latest. A mini jump ramp for 5yo son's birthday. Finished just as he arrived home from school! He says it's his favourite birthday present - ahead of a stomp rocket and bike horn, so it must be good, which makes me think it was worth all the effort.

A bit big for 2 1/2yo to cope with on his scoot bike, so I made him his own by tacking a little bit of board to a 2x2 (not pictured), which he also seems to really like.

Sorry for the badly framed action shot - 5yos won't session jumps for the cameraman, and it's not an easy shot to get right with a cheap compact in bad light, but I thought I should show it in action.

Unfortunately shortly after these photos were taken I discovered that 3mm MDF isn't up to taking a 77kg adult on a uni - not without more support underneath (though it was OK for me on a bike). So tomorrow I'll be replacing the top with something a bit thicker and maybe also putting in more cross braces. I have to admit I did think my surface might be a bit thin - though a similar sheet propped on bricks had previously worked - and was kind of expecting to redo the top, though not quite so soon.
Attached Images

Old 2012-01-24, 06:54 PM   #37
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

and then he says:

Hey guys watch this!

As he jumps his bike off the ramp which has been placed on trampoline for added height
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 09:15 PM   #38
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
and then he says:

Hey guys watch this!

As he jumps his bike off the ramp which has been placed on trampoline for added height
and what does the saying "hey watch this" lead to :P
Old 2012-01-25, 12:40 AM   #39
delta 224

Location: New York, dutchess county 20"trials, 24 muni, 29" crossover, 36" nightrider w/ mountainuni disk brake, 5 foot giraffe x2
my current project is trying to find some cranks for my new KH 2004 24" muni, which would be awesome, if the cranks weren't so darn long! (170mm)
delta 224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 12:48 AM   #40
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Can you tell what it is yet? *

Can you tell what it is yet?

* Our friends down under should get it, but I don't know if he made it to the US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Harris
Old 2012-02-02, 01:15 AM   #41
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
that is really cool! does the handle feel stiffer?
Old 2012-02-02, 03:43 AM   #42
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Some sort of ultra-bright LED bike light right?

That looks about ideal if you use the regular handle with no brake, hope it doesn't overheat there though with our slow speeds and the sheltered position.

What's the beam like? Shouldn't be too much leg shadow.
Old 2012-02-02, 10:24 AM   #43
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Some sort of ultra-bright LED bike light right?
Yep - that's home-made too - put together over 5 years ago back when you couldn't buy a light with similar performance. Here's some better piccies of that http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ght&highlight= (though the electronics have been upgraded a bit since then). See the huge heatsink on the back - it's overkill for biking, so shouldn't be a problem with overheating. The ziptie passes through the slots at the front edge of the heatsink for mounting.

Not tried it properly yet - only for 100m up and down a track - but I think the leg shadow shouldn't be too big a problem. I certainly didn't notice it on that test, though it had been really obvious with a previous more temporary mount I used which put the light about an inch further back. The extra inch forwards ought to make quite a difference. I'll get a beamshot when I'm next out.

Oh, and knoxuni - I don't think it makes the slightest bit of difference to the stiffness of the handle
Old 2012-02-04, 11:49 PM   #44
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 20" BC
I need to sort a better mounting position for my light on my uni.

I'm running a modified Magicshine MJ808 (900 lumen) attached to the right hand side of my frame, I get a lot of leg shadow but I have got used to it.

Soon I'm hoping to have a T-bar setup to mount it on along with my cycle computer but I still need to improve the beam shape on it so it's not lighting up trees and blinding drivers quite so much.
Old 2012-03-06, 05:36 AM   #45
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
It's not on my list but I think next up will be "Mr. Big and Tall"
Finally got a start on Mr. Big and Tall, but after looking at what I had created I am thinking that Mr. Momentum has a nicer ring too it. I have to thank Nathan for giving me the donor rim.

Rim came out to a whopping 3270g. If I follow through with the plan tire should be in the 2650g range 3.7" wide and about 39" tall. Once rolling this thing won't stop for anything, except maybe an uphill grade
Attached Images

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2012-03-06 at 05:41 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, post, projects