Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-06-26, 01:38 AM   #1
Jt00
Rgstērd sr

Penny farthing

I noticed a penny farthing outside a bike shop a while ago. For anyone who doesn't know, penny farthings are those bikes you see in old pictures with one huge wheel and one tiny wheel behind them. The pedals are attached to the front wheel and it can be ridden like a unicycle if the rider leans forward, lifting the back wheel off the ground. Does anyone actually ride these things anymore? The penny farthing was just a display item; it's in the company's logo.
Old 2011-06-26, 01:41 AM   #2
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
my uncle has 2 kinda. one is complete and we play with it and the other is a 45in uni. we hacked off the frame part that holds the back wheel
Old 2011-06-26, 01:55 AM   #3
deadbeatpope
Some call me Kevin

A friend of mine had 2 of them when I was a boy and we used to ride them sometimes. Though we rode unicycles at the time we never thought to try to ride it like one. Seems a bit dangerous because the wheels are usually pretty big and you can't just hop off the front if you go too far forward.

Art is a misspelled rat.
"The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"
deadbeatpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 01:56 AM   #4
AustinLee
Unipsychle Productions

Yes, the Coker Cycle Company, the first company to produce 36" unicycles, also makes a 36" Penny Farthing.

"'Your' and 'You're' are sworn enemies. If you misplace them, it could lead to violence."

My Youtube
AustinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 03:25 AM   #5
DavidHood
Raising my own riding partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt00 View Post
I noticed a penny farthing outside a bike shop a while ago. Does anyone actually ride these things anymore?
A lady rode one in the Hike, Bike, and Paddle last month. You see her at a lot of the "family speed" events. She always wears red, white, and blue. I rode past her walking it up one of the steeper hills of Iriquois Park. I said "Hello Penny Farthing Lady" to which she responded as I peddled away "Hello Unicycle Man."
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 07:18 AM   #6
Rowan
Unicycle Advocate

Penny farthings are heaps of fun and are related to unicycles. I had a go on one a little while back, I should borrow it again some time it was cool.
My first go was a bit wobbly but it felt amazing and high. Ben is making a 29" penny farthing, inspired by Tony Melton's one which got a lot of use before breaking.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 07:34 AM   #7
Ereksonj
Unicyclist

^^That looks so cool! I want to try one really bad now.
Old 2011-06-26, 08:03 AM   #8
pinefresh
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

I got to try a 36" at a bike demo. Felt really weird, only got two tries, but I was able to ride on the front for a few feet.
pinefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 08:48 AM   #9
dmacuni
The other unicycling geologist.

Smile Mini penny awesomeness....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Ben is making a 29" penny farthing, inspired by Tony Melton's one which got a lot of use before breaking.
Hi all,

I'm also making a mini penny at the moment, 29" front wheel, 16" pit bmx front wheel on the rear (32h hub/rim, and a chunky axle so I can run pegs on the back wheel).

I was toying with the idea of running a unicycle wheel in the rear, so I could ride it like a uni on the rear wheel, but I didn't fancy sacrificing my 12" dodger uni in case it didn't work out.

The frame design is slightly different to Tony's, to avoid the issues he had with welds breaking etc. My design has 2 tubes coming from the head tube, and tapering into one at the base near the rear fork. I used a UDC 29er fork for the front fork, and replaced the section above the crown with the steerer tube from a MTB.

I'm going to see my frame builder tomorrow, so I will get some pics and post them here. It should be ready to ride in the next week, looking forward to it!

I also have a few mates who ride classic 54" penny's. They have an Australian championships every year in Tasmania, it's epic!

Cheers,

Dmac
dmacuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 10:09 PM   #10
Alan Hogan
The Highland unicyclist

36"

I have seen a few 36" penny farthings on the market........ I fancy one......anyone know if they can be fitted with a schlumpf??
Alan Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 02:48 AM   #11
dmacuni
The other unicycling geologist.

Smile Mini penny madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacuni View Post
I'm going to see my frame builder tomorrow, so I will get some pics and post them here.
Hi all,

As promised, here's a couple of teaser pics of my mini penny project. It's almost finished, just measured up the postion of the seatpost today, so that and some rear pegs will be built in this week, and it should be ready to ride start of next week, Yeha!

Will post some more pics when it's all finished and rideable

Cheers,

Dmac
Attached Images

dmacuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 05:43 AM   #12
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

About 1983/4 I ws planning to do a charity ride on one. It never happened because in the end no one was willing to lend me one for long enough.

I went out with a vintage & veteran cycle group, Desford Lane Pedallers, for a day. http://www.dlpvcc.co.uk/

I got to ride a modern reproduction penny farthing, a real old one, and a couple of other veteran machines. The real old one was lighter, faster and more elegant than the repro.

There is no feeling quite like riding a real penny farthing with a big big wheel (I think I was riding one that was about 56 inches). You sit high up and gently sway, looking over the hedges as you ride. It is a fixed wheel but the leverage is so massive that if you try to stop it lifts you out of the saddle.

Another machine of interest to unicyclists is the Crypto Bantam which had an early form of non-freewheeling hub gear. http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1896-crypto-bantam/ . I rode one of these too.

If ever you get the chace to ride a real penny farthing, do it.
Old 2011-06-27, 11:06 AM   #13
milkman
One Love

Smile hey

I used to ride a penny, always got rubber burns up the inside of my calf, cornering was not its greatest use.... but still i loved every minute of it.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 12:53 PM   #14
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
There is an organization devoted to the riding of antique bicycles called The Wheelmen. Penny farthings figure prominently in their activities. Your state's group is headquartered in Mobile and has a Facebook page, Alabama Wheelman.

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 10:20 AM   #15
TonyMelton
Proud owner of Kris Holms old shoes

Here's a pic of my minipenny. Its loads of fun to ride and many tricks are possible.

It would be rad if some trick penny farthing riders descended on the Worlds in Tasmania!
TonyMelton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farthing, penny