Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-09-21, 05:09 PM   #61
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
That's steep! How long is the hill?
Sorry Steve - only just noticed your post...

The steep part of the road is probably around 1/4 mile, but it's not 1:5 the whole way - I'd guess it's about half 1:5 with bits of 1:6 thrown in. If I'm in the right mood (or on a smaller wheel) it's not a very hard climb, but after a heavy day at work it's quite a slog on the 36er even with 145mm cranks. The most annoying thing about it is that it's a single track road so if I meet a car/tractor/horsebox I have to dismount and can never get back on again. I don't reckon I could get up it without holding the saddle even on my 26" muni with 150s, but I've never tried.

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 06:28 PM   #62
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
And until I tried Kris's "shortened" T-handle setup on my new 26er GUni, I would have agreed about the "no handlebars" part of your post. But now I couldn't imagine riding without it! The great part is that I still have the regular lift handle there to use if necessary.

But the short T-handle setup has turned out to be awesome and really enhances the ride, adds comfort and increases stability, especially at high speeds. And it's short enough to not get in the way or be a hindrance on technical terrain, or even rolling drops.
Yup, it was a big advance for my climbing and high speed stability, but it took a few rides before it became natural. Now, when I get a muni with a simple seat grab handle, I feel like I have less control and way less power.

The KH Tbar set up with a single bar end is a great muni rig. You should take a look at what I'm building using the KH stiffener plate

Quote:
It took me 4 pages of this thread to realize that i actually do the same thing on the mountain bike, on really steep places. I pull up on the handlebar so that I can remain seated and still have my weight far forward.
Not so sure about pulling back so you can stay seated, but for sure, pulling back on mountain bike bars will help shift your weight to the rear tire so it stays in contact with the ground.

I tend to pull or push depending on my needs. Having a bar helps with out of the seat climbing cuz you can adjust the bar angle and length to your needs and it is more natural to grab a bar end than a rounded piece of nylon.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2011-09-21 at 06:28 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 05:43 AM   #63
timoteusmunk
Unicyclist

Timoteusmunk Climbs Fargo

Great ride today
I climbed Fargo on my stock 24" Nimbus. Obviously I wanted to shed weight on my uni, but I didn't want to spend time and money customizing my Nimbus. So all I did was to switch up my tire and tube for a K-Rad and a Specialized innertube (if I remember correctly). 63psi worked well for my weight.
I used a set of Venture II 165mm cranks for torque and rode up the thirtythreepercenter. It was a great feeling to make it all the way to the top without dismounting. There was nobody there to greet me at the finish line, no pretty girls with trophies, just a bunch of barking dogs. I figured they were applauding me, so I waved at them saying "Thank You"
timoteusmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 08:29 PM   #64
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoteusmunk View Post
Great ride today
I climbed Fargo on my stock 24" Nimbus. ..It was a great feeling to make it all the way to the top without dismounting. There was nobody there to greet me at the finish line, no pretty girls with trophies, just a bunch of barking dogs. I figured they were applauding me, so I waved at them saying "Thank You"
I'm applauding, too. Great job on Fargo. I attempted it once with Terry (who climbed it for his first time that day!) Maybe I was too sore from my really hard ride the previous day, but whatever my excuse, I failed. Someday I'd like to have a fresh go at it.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 09:02 PM   #65
LanceB
This space available

Great job, timoteusmunk! You are part of a very small, exclusive group! (Here's a picture of Fargo Street, for anyone who may not be familiar with it.)
Attached Images

Old 2013-09-19, 12:05 AM   #66
timoteusmunk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
I'm applauding, too. Great job on Fargo. I attempted it once with Terry (who climbed it for his first time that day!) Maybe I was too sore from my really hard ride the previous day, but whatever my excuse, I failed. Someday I'd like to have a fresh go at it.
Thanks Steveyo: Terry told me today that the Fargo Hill Climb Challenge will be in March 2014. Please join us

Also, are you friends with Ilan? We hill climb every Friday morning. Cheers.
Old 2013-09-19, 12:09 AM   #67
timoteusmunk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
Great job, timoteusmunk! You are part of a very small, exclusive group! (Here's a picture of Fargo Street, for anyone who may not be familiar with it.)
Thanks! I made it to the top; now I have to fine tune the ascent by practice.
Old 2013-09-19, 08:04 AM   #68
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoteusmunk View Post
Great ride today
I climbed Fargo on my stock 24" Nimbus.
Possibly the first european ever to climb Fargo on one wheel!!! Certainly the first norwegian. Great effort Tim!

Tags
climbing, hill, observation