Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-04-14, 04:17 PM   #46
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

The Ardent sounds good. When my RR wears out I'll give it a try - sounds a bit like the RR 29x2.4 snakeskin that Schwalbe never made

I don't find the RR too floppy though, but I don't use my 29er for anything other than fast xc so I probably run higher pressures than NurseBen (usually around 25psi tubeless).

The sidewall vulnerability is an issue though - I've had to patch a rip in mine. So a slightly stronger tyre with similar tread and hardly any heavier sounds very tempting.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 06:26 PM   #47
davidp
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
So a slightly stronger tyre with similar tread and hardly any heavier sounds very tempting.
Most weights I've seen put the Ardent 2.4 about 200g heavier than the RR 2.4. It's not a huge difference (and probably worth the trade off for most) but it is a bit heavier.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 07:46 PM   #48
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Ride number two last night, still really enjoy the Ardent, running pressures as low as 16psi, that's with a DH tube and my 200#. This is way lower than I could run a similarly set up RR 2.4, it'd snakebite on the first root!

Climbing is excellent, more traction in the mud, more sidewall strength seems to help it track better, pretty fast, maybe a tad more resistance/slower on soft dirt, but I'm running the tread in reverse.

I'm going to swich the tread around for tomorrow's ride, might go tubeless, still trying to decide...

Great tire for mixed XC, but would be a fantastic tire in a 2.6-2.7

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2011-04-14 at 07:47 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 08:02 PM   #49
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I don't find the RR too floppy though, but I don't use my 29er for anything other than fast xc so I probably run higher pressures than NurseBen (usually around 25psi tubeless).
I rode the RR 2.4 at 18-20spi, which is why it was floppy. The reason I used lower pressure was due to my desire to use it for muni, so more shock absorption. I did get the occassional rim hit, but no snakebites since going to the heavier tube.

The RR 2.4 is still one of my fav tires, but the thin sidewall is a problem, esp with my love of rocks and low pressures. I'd never run the RR tubeless, just too much risk of tearing a sidewall; it is a racing tire.

The Ardent is more than an RR 2.4 with snakeskin sidewalls, it has a DH tread pattern and deeper lugging, so I'd compare it more to the offspring from a Minion and an RR 2.4
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 10:16 PM   #50
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
The Ardent is more than an RR 2.4 with snakeskin sidewalls, it has a DH tread pattern and deeper lugging, so I'd compare it more to the offspring from a Minion and an RR 2.4
OK - the picture I saw in a quick google the other day looked like the tread was very similar to the RR. Slightly longer spikes would be a good thing though (I find the RR can get a bit lively on mud), so still sounding good

I've only had one sidewall damage incident in over a year on my tubeless RR, BTW (and I still managed to limp it home with lots of pumping and oozing sealant). I'm a bit wary of taking it over rock gardens though (that's how I damaged it - slipped between two sharp rocks), but I tend to use my 26" for the rockier stuff and keep the 29 for fast xc and racing so I'm not expecting it to be a do-it-all tyre. I think we're doing very different things with our Ralphs

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 11:40 PM   #51
deadbeatpope
Some call me Kevin

I have a Kenda Small Block 8 and like it a lot. Small knobbies give lots of traction with low rolling resistance. Not a high volume tire (2.1) but light and efficient. I will happily get another one when mine wears out.

Art is a misspelled rat.
"The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"
deadbeatpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 12:28 PM   #52
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Preliminary review of the Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4:

Rcvd my Ardent yesterday and mounted it up on my KH29 with a "regular" WTB 29x2.1-2.5 tube. It feels very burly. I then rode to the bank on a brutal 0.75 mile round-trip over dry pavement and packed gravel. It truly feels fantastic over this very challenging terrain.

Tomorrow, I'm riding in an ever-so-slightly more demanding 24 mile mountain bike race, and there's a prediction of 1-2 inches of rain there tonight. This should be interesting...

(more to come)

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 06:41 PM   #53
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Review for the Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4:

I started with 20psi, which felt a lot stiffer than the RR 2.4 at the same pressure, but it was not hardly as firm as the Dissent or Kodiak at the same pressure. Even at this higher pressure I didn't find it unrideable, there was no steering into or away from the sidehill, it felt closer to a Stout than anything else I've ridden, but with more width and volume. If I was to compare it to another Maxxis tire, I'd say it's more like a Minion, but lighter weight and more resilient, thinner tread, slightly softer sidewall.

Then I dropped the pressure to 18psi and the tire really came alive, more cush, more stability, smoother riding, and still far less sidewall collapse than the RR.
I put the Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 on my unicycle yesterday. I took it for a hilly ride and had a lot of fun. My tire pressure was at 30 psi. I was nervous to run it any lower because the sidewall says 35 to 65 psi. I would like to run it softer. So it's okay to ignore the rating on the tire? I weigh about 135 and like climbing. I don't do anything too technical.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 08:09 PM   #54
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
I am really not sure why tires have a stated lower pressure limit. While I wouldn't want to go much over the max air pressure you can safely ignore the lower limit.

You will be able to feel when the tire is too soft.
Old 2011-04-24, 04:14 PM   #55
deadbeatpope
Some call me Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
I am really not sure why tires have a stated lower pressure limit. While I wouldn't want to go much over the max air pressure you can safely ignore the lower limit.

You will be able to feel when the tire is too soft.
A tire manufacturer would never rate the air pressure at the edge of safety. The high and low limits can be pushed.

If you go too high the tire blows off. If you go too low your rim takes the hits. These extremes should be beyond the range of comfort anyway.

Art is a misspelled rat.
"The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"
deadbeatpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 08:52 PM   #56
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo View Post
Tomorrow, I'm riding in an ever-so-slightly more demanding 24 mile mountain bike race, and there's a prediction of 1-2 inches of rain there tonight. This should be interesting...

(more to come)
Alright, so I did this race (24-mile, mostly muddy trails) with my new Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4. The tire perform beautifully, gripping even muddy surfaces better than I expected. I began with more pressure than I thought I'd need, and let some out as the trail's obstacles - rocks and roots - made themselves more obvious.

This is my new favorite 29er muni tire.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Last edited by steveyo; 2011-04-24 at 08:53 PM.
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:04 PM   #57
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Hey, you 29'er tyre expert bunch. I'm speccing out a new 29'er Guni. Initially to be used in Yunnanuni, which is all onroad but in quite mountainous area. Later probably also to be used in XC rides, for which I would be prepared to swap the tyre but not rebuild the wheel, so the rim has to be considered 'fixed'. I was thinking to chose the KH XC rim of 38 mm wide, and a Big Apple 2.0" for onroad use. My questions:
  • Would the narrower rim unduly limit my tyre choice for possible future XC use?
  • Would the Big Apple 2.0" alternatively fit on the 47 mm KH Freeride rim?
  • Would there be a "compromise" tyre that is very good on asphalt but better suited for mixed use than the Big Apple 2.0"?
  • BTW, I shy away from the Big Apple 2.35", since I found a lot of sideways tendency with it, and others have reported that too. I ran it on a very narrow rim, but I think this issue is also present when run on wider rims. Comments?
Thanks!
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:12 PM   #58
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

I like the marathon supreme as a 29" road tire and have mounted it on a 38 mm KH rim. It is a relatively small volume tire and I do not think it would be a good fit for the 47 mm KH rim.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 12:23 PM   #59
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott ttocs View Post
I like the marathon supreme as a 29" road tire and have mounted it on a 38 mm KH rim. It is a relatively small volume tire and I do not think it would be a good fit for the 47 mm KH rim.

Scott
The Marathon Supreme 28"/29" is available in widths ranging from 1.1" to 2.0". Which one do you have?
Meanwhile, I welcome more replies (Not being impatient or anything.)
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 02:04 PM   #60
UPD in Utah
Unicyclist

Good questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Bil View Post
Hey, you 29'er tyre expert bunch. I'm speccing out a new 29'er Guni. Initially to be used in Yunnanuni, which is all onroad but in quite mountainous area. Later probably also to be used in XC rides, for which I would be prepared to swap the tyre but not rebuild the wheel, so the rim has to be considered 'fixed'. I was thinking to chose the KH XC rim of 38 mm wide, and a Big Apple 2.0" for onroad use. My questions:
  • Would the narrower rim unduly limit my tyre choice for possible future XC use?
  • Would the Big Apple 2.0" alternatively fit on the 47 mm KH Freeride rim?
  • Would there be a "compromise" tyre that is very good on asphalt but better suited for mixed use than the Big Apple 2.0"?
  • BTW, I shy away from the Big Apple 2.35", since I found a lot of sideways tendency with it, and others have reported that too. I ran it on a very narrow rim, but I think this issue is also present when run on wider rims. Comments?
Thanks!
Hi KB,

My KH29 Guni came equipped with the Big Apple 2.0 on the 38 mm XC rim and after a few rides on paved trails I promptly swapped out the Big Apple for the Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4 -- and I'm happy I did.

My reasons for the swap were (1) I wanted to experience 29er XC, and (2) I felt a fatter tire, with bigger footprint, might be more forgiving as I learn how to ride in overdrive and shift on the fly.

While my XC experience is still limited (due to our never-ending winter ... it's snowing in Salt Lake this morning), I'm very happy with my choice, and I think my reason number 2 was dead right. Since I have yet to go back to the Big Apple I can't give you my impressions on scaling back to the small footprint, but I'm betting it will seem even more "twitchy" after riding the Ardent. And, for what it's worth, I don't find the Ardent to have an excessive amount of rolling resistance for pavement -- it rolls along on the center line of knobs just fine, and it handles crowned surfaces very, very well -- maybe better than the Big Apple 2.0. (I'll know for sure when/if I switch back.)

As to your questions:

1. I don't think the 38mm XC rim will limit your XC possibilities, but I understand that the 47mm Freeride is THE rim to ride for more technical muni since it provides a wider base and therefore greater footprint and stability. (But the 2.4" Ardent does not seem floppy at all when run with decent pressure -- 35 psi -- but it is a bit bouncy.)

2. Don't know about the fit of the Big Apple 2.0 on the Freeride rim, but I'll bet it would be a stretch.

3. Scott's suggestion of the Marathon Supreme is a good one, and, no doubt is based on much more time riding his KH29 on the roads, but I think the Ardent is fine for pavement -- of course I'm not trying to race the guni on roads -- I'm just trying to master riding it in overdrive and trying to get up the nerve to shift on the fly (some day soon).

4. Don't know about the Big Apple 2.35, but from what I've read here and elsewhere I'd shy away from it too.

My best advice: The Ardent on 38mm XC rim is amazingly good on and off road. I can't wait until our trails dry out to really put it to the test!

(Incidentally, I had the pleasure of riding one of my favorite local trails with Scott last summer, with him on his KH28 with XC rim and Kenda Navigal, and me on my N24 with Duro Wildlife and he had no problem zipping along the relatively flat trail. Matter of fact, he tore it up!)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

(a.k.a. Bert)

Last edited by UPD in Utah; 2011-04-26 at 02:09 PM.
UPD in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29er, official, reviews, thread, tire