Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-09-28, 04:04 PM   #16
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The Weirwolf appears to be a Exiwolf with more volume and a slightly different tread, so I'm thinking that if the Exiwolf tread and sidewall are decent, then a little extra volume could make the tire work well.

I will also try out the Dissent is the Weirwolf is not enough tire.

BWT, the Dissent is 300gm lighter than the Kodiak, so only 300gm heavier than the Stout, also lighter than the 24/26 DH tires like the Leopard, Gazz, Intense.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 01:06 PM   #17
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Talking

More tire reviews:

WTB Dissent
Well, I bought yet another big DH styled tire, mounted it up and away we go. First impression, it's a little lighter and narrower than the Kodiak, even the casing seems a tad lower volume than the Kodiak. Ride feel is much softer than I expected, had a close call with a snak bite at 16#, so I had to run 18# to keep from flatting. The tread is not partcularly sticky, I'd saw average for a DH pattern. The tread is narrower than the Kodiak by quite a bit, but with a more consistent edge on the outside knobbies. It is a little less heavy than the Kodiak, that's just by comparing them in hand.

Having ridden both the Kodak and the Dissent, I came away less than satisfied, neither is all that compared to existing tires. They don't have a true DH sidewall, so they have to be run at higher pressures than I prefer, and they both seem to like riding into the sidehill, which I believe is an intentional design that WTB incorporated into the new generation 29er tires to make them quicker on side to side transitions.

Given the choice, I don't think either tire has much of an advantage over the Stout, even though they have a little more sidewal thickness and more volume, the advantage is lost to due a combination of high weight and having to run high pressures to avoid flatting.

Given the choice for XC styled riding, I'd still choose the Racing Raplh 2.4 run with a DH 26" tube. I get more terrain absorption and a better overall ride, plus I can run lower relative pressures.

Next up: The WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55
This is preliminary review as I have only ridden up and down the street:
Folding bead, nice and round when mounted up, stick tread, running it with a 26 DH tube
Think of it as a fatter Exiwolf with a low profile tread. I liked it, may be in competition with the RR 2.4
Old 2010-10-13, 03:16 PM   #18
brycer1968
Brycer1968

WTB DIssent 29 x 2.5

Ben: I'm with you on the dissatisfaction with the WTB Dissent for unicycling. I was initially excited that there ws finally a 29er tire with something other than low tread that might do well in Mud and loose stuff. I haven't tried the Kodiak and based on your experience, I think I'll skip trying it as it sounds pretty similar to the Dissent.

My trial with the Dissent was very short as I usually need my 29er tires to be good all around tires (for getting to rides and trails) and the flat-ish tread profile of the Dissent made for mediocre road crown handling on pavement - and it just felt really heavy and seemed to slow me down - a lot. I even noticed its weight when I tried it on the rear of my 29er MTN bike. Then I looked up the weight of the 29 x 2.5 Dissent: 1540g!!!!!!
and Racing Ralph 2.4, my all-time favorite 29er tirenly 640g

Maybe if I had a dedicated off road 29er for mud and really rough trails, I might like the Dissent better, but for me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Hey, I have a lightly used dissent for sale if anyone wants one.

Brycer

PS: I've also started measuring the volume of big balloon tires by measuring them off the rim with the casing flattened and measuring the cross section from one bead to the other. Using this method, the RR 2.4 comes out the biggest 29er tire -over all the big 29ers I've tried over the years.
brycer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 12:14 PM   #19
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Hye Brycer, I think the Dissent is actually a little easier to ride than the Kodiak, seems to track better and has a little less tendency to steer into side hills. The weight is less that 1500gm, probably closer to 1200, at least it feels lighter in hand, didn't formally way it.

I rode the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT yesteday and it was not bad, a little firmer sidewall than the Racing Ralph 2.4, but being a little lower in volume it was a stiffer ride and had less shock absorption. Funny thing, it requried more air pressure than any other tire I've tried, but it retained the soft ride quality of a lower pressure, not sure why this was the case. I did find that it is less likely to fold on off camber drops, so a little more stable, but at the same time it does have a tendency to steer into sidehills. I wonder if this is an MTB 29er tire design that allows a quicker turning tire for MTB?

I'm gonna keep the Weirwolf mounted for a few more rides and then go back to the RR 2.4 for comparison. I think that the Weirwolf may be built on the Stout carcass, not for sure, but they seem very similar. When I dismount it I'll compare the two. Note that I am running a 26" Nokian DH tube, the super heavy duty one, which really seems to fill out these lighter weight tires and give them more sidewall strength. I highly recommend using one if you feel that your 29er tire is a little flimsy. It made the RR a totaly diferent tire.

To date the RR 2.4 is still my favorite for 29er XC/light muni

I'd love to see an RR 2.4 with the Snakeskin sidewall, miore durable, and maybe a little more stiffness.

BTW, I have tons of tires for sale: Kodiak, Dissent, Stout, Navegal.
Group purchase price and save on shipping if you buy the whole lot
Old 2010-10-14, 12:56 PM   #20
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
I'd love to see an RR 2.4 with the Snakeskin sidewall, miore durable, and maybe a little more stiffness.
I think everybody would - even on bike forums people are wanting a 29x2.4 Snakeskin. It seems to be just about the only size of RR that Schwalbe don't do with the Snakeskin carcass. No idea why they don't - I'm sure there's a market there.

I chose the RR primarily for lightness on my xc machine (so I wouldn't put a DH tube in it), but I really like the way it rides. I'm running it tubeless at around 25 psi and it doesn't feel hard (in fact, the first ride I did after the tubeless conversion I thought I had a puncture because it felt weirdly smooth). If there was a snakeskin version I'd certainly buy one for the extra sidewall durability (not sidewall stiffness, I'm just a bit paranoid after I slashed a sidewall on a sharp rock).

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 07:03 PM   #21
Slocan
Unicyclist

I got the 29x2.25 RR last week, with Snakeskin, and really liking it for my type of riding so far (commuting through a mix of gravel/hardpack/asphalt). It's surprisingly smooth and speedy on asphalt, with a fairly round profile (a good in-between the Big Apple and the Maxxis Crossmark, which are the 2 tires I've been riding before), as well as a good cushion and grip for the gravel and bumpy sections, even at 30/35 psi.

The main drawback is that it is a pretty expensive tire (doubt I'd have bought it if it hadn't been on sale). I haven't taken it on any harder XC/Muni yet though.
Slocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 08:33 PM   #22
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
The main drawback is that it is a pretty expensive tire (doubt I'd have bought it if it hadn't been on sale).
Yeah - my RR is the most expensive cycle tyre I've ever bought. On the plus side, it doesn't seem to be wearing out too quickly.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
Old 2010-10-26, 04:24 PM   #23
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Back on the RR 2.4 with the 26" Nokian DH tube, running 18psi.

This seems to be the best combination for me at my weight (200#), nice ride, still cushy enough, but firm enough to avoid snakebites, decent traction in the dry, fast enough to make it distinct from my 26 x 3, but still agile enough for light muni.

For me and my riding style, the RR 2.4 rides far and away better than any other 29er tire I've tried, though I'd take a snakeskin if they make one.

Anyone want to try a 29er tire? Here's what I have, all are barely used:

Navegal 2.25 Wire Bead
Dissent 2.5 wire bead
Kodiak 2.5 wire bead
Stout 2.3 folding
Wierwolf LT 2.55 folding
Mountain King 24 folding

Shipping is pricey on wire bead tires due cuz they don't fold up, also weight makes tire shipping pricey, so if you want a tire(s), you gotta ay shipping. I'd like to see sell all of these tires in one swipe, so if anyone wants to make an offer on a bulk purchase...

Sorry, but I won't ship outside the USA anymore, it's just too expensive, already lost money this way.
Old 2010-10-27, 01:07 PM   #24
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Shipping is pricey on wire bead tires due cuz they don't fold up
(You probably already know this, but FWIW...)
You can make them half the size without damaging the bead by twisting into a figure 8 then folding in half. If you grab the tyre on opposite sides and rotate your hands in opposite directions the tyre almost naturally folds that way.

Rob

Old 2010-10-28, 12:38 PM   #25
skicker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Back on the RR 2.4 with the 26" Nokian DH tube, running 18psi.

This seems to be the best combination for me at my weight (200#), nice ride, still cushy enough, but firm enough to avoid snakebites, decent traction in the dry, fast enough to make it distinct from my 26 x 3, but still agile enough for light muni.
I've just put the same tyre/tube combination on my new 29" after seeing your positive comments about it and I certainly give it the thumbs up.

I've been previously riding a 24" with a 3" Gazz I was impressed that the 29 seemed to have not lost loads of grip from that setup while being faster and more nimble than the 24.

Having said that, I need to run it at higher pressure so that I was thrown off over a branch that the gazz tyre would have just swallowed and I get the impression that its the tube in the 29 that is keeping things together rather than the tyre, which is a bit worrying since I dont know where I'll get another nokian tube (this one was 2nd hand off ebay)

Also I can report that the RR 2.4 only just fits in a 29" nimbus II muni frame. Anything bigger is going to scrape on the top.
skicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 06:46 PM   #26
UPD in Utah
Unicyclist

Smile Recommendation...

Hey 29er riders,

I wanted to bump this thread up to get a recommendation on what tire to use for XC/light muni on the 38mm KH XC rim.

By my reading, it seems like most of you guys really like the RR snakeskin 29x2.25, but I assume most of you are running that on the 47mm KH Freeride rim.

Would taking away that 9mm of rim width change your preference, or would the RR snakeskin 29x2.25 (paired with 26" tube) still be your first choice for the XC rim?

Thanks for the input!

UPD in Utah
UPD in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 10:13 PM   #27
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Hey UPD,

I have used a Navegal on my KH with the same rim. It works fine and is quite light. I have not tried many other tires on the 29". It came with a Stout, which is noticeably heavier and probably overkill for light-duty cross country.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 02:10 PM   #28
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPD in Utah View Post
Hey 29er riders,

I wanted to bump this thread up to get a recommendation on what tire to use for XC/light muni on the 38mm KH XC rim.
I'm using a RR 29x2.4 (non-snakeskin) on a KH xc rim. I'm running it tubeless at about 25psi for fast xc rides/racing. I really like it, but if you want to do more hopping or big drops you may find it too flexible (or you could try putting a massive tube in it like Nurse Ben does, but then you may as well use a heavy tyre in the first place).

Rob

Old 2011-01-31, 08:08 PM   #29
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
By my reading, it seems like most of you guys really like the RR snakeskin 29x2.25, but I assume most of you are running that on the 47mm KH Freeride rim.

Would taking away that 9mm of rim width change your preference, or would the RR snakeskin 29x2.25 (paired with 26" tube) still be your first choice for the XC rim?
The 38mm rim is not too narrow for any of the 29er tires. You'll have a little more rounding out of the sidewall, but not that much.

If you aren't doing much vertical work, hopping, jumping, so staying within 12inches of the ground, then the RR 2.4 with a 26"HF tube is a great ride I ride mine at 18psi, which at my 200# is a really cushy ride with minimal side wall collapse. I think there are folks running the RR 2.25 snakeskin, which is more durable, but not hardly as volumonous

If you are going full muni, bigger drops, lots of hopping, I'd get the Dissent, it has a true DH pattern and firm sidewalls. It wasn't my fav tire, but then I'm more of an XC rider, but Josh at UDC swears it's the best tire since the Gazz!

Just an FYI, but if anyone is wanting a big wheel ride in a muni and isn't satisfied with the 29er offerings, you can get the Surly Large Marge rim in a 26" and run a Larry tire which is a whopping 3.8" wide and has nearly the same diameter as the biggest 29er tire. I love my Larry
Old 2011-02-01, 03:57 AM   #30
UPD in Utah
Unicyclist

Thanks...

Thanks Scott, Rob & Ben!

I think I'll probably try out the RR 2.4 with a tube at first, then maybe graduate to tubeless. Did I read somewhere earlier in the thread that the RR 2.4 is now available with snakeskin sidewalls? Perhaps running that tire tubeless will provide the ultimate 29er XC/light muni ride. That is, until they come out with something better ... next week.

Cheers,

UPD in Utah
UPD in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29er, official, reviews, thread, tire