Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-04-29, 01:25 AM   #16
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jki View Post
Is the new disk hub narrower than the wide hub and will it fit in nightrider pro frames? Will the wheel be weaker compared to the wider hub? Will the hub fit in nimbus muni frames? Is it only available in ISIS?

Why are folks suddenly not shy to have mounts welded on? how will the hubs work on KH frames... who welds and re-heat treats aluminum frames?

Is it more cost effective to build a wheel (almost the cost of a uni) or just spend the $800 on the whole uni? (is the alternative still ultimately cheaper?)

Can UDC claim to be the first production disk brake available in USA -by end of May? It's cool to see the unicycle finally come of age with disk brakes!
I can only speak for myself, but I'm certainly not "shy" about weld on mounts. My interest in bolt on mounts is twofold. First, I can buy it, mount it, and ride it without having to wait for someone to attach the mount to my frame. The second reason, which is maybe even more important, is that when I get a new frame I will be able to swap my brake over to it easily without having to buy a new mount and have it welded on. In the two years that I have been riding a uni I have gone through 2 Muni frames, a 29'er frame and 2 36'ers. I probably wouldn't have bothered with a disc on a 24 MUni, but the rest of the lot had brakes. It would be nice to have a decent brake that could be moved as my needs change.
Old 2010-04-29, 01:50 AM   #17
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
If you ask me disks on unicycles were long overdue.

I am glad that more than one company now seems to agree with me.
Old 2010-04-29, 02:24 AM   #18
kb1jki
Unicycles on my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
If you ask me disks on unicycles were long overdue.

I am glad that more than one company now seems to agree with me.
oddly enough, me too. I would aspire to UDC's business model. I'm still curious as to the width of the hub, what uni's it fits, etc... I'm sure they must have thought of a bolt on version and wonder... am I barking up the wrong tree?
kb1jki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 02:39 AM   #19
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
Welded mounts are always superior to bolt on mounts but bolt on might be a better option for the retrofit crowd.

I wonder if they made the weld on mounts in a way that you could bolt on the caliper on the other side and also use it on the outboard side.

EDIT: I guess you would have to run the frame backwards for the crank mounted disk to work. probably would not work with the nighrider frame but having a dual standard (works with either/or) would be great on conventional frame designs.

Last edited by saskatchewanian; 2010-04-29 at 02:46 AM.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 04:47 AM   #20
Obtusellama
Hand me my unicycle, sir.

Send a message via MSN to Obtusellama
Fantastic news, I was drooling over the old nimbus nightriders...this just makes me even more eager to start riding 36ers!

Fastest 20" rider - Uninats 2010
Obtusellama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 04:51 AM   #21
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obtusellama View Post
Fantastic news, I was drooling over the old nimbus nightriders...this just makes me even more eager to start riding 36ers!
It also fixes my biggest beef about the Nimbus nightrider unicycles: excessive side to side flexing in the frame making rim brakes rub when climbing or doing aggressive maneuvers.
Old 2010-04-29, 06:04 AM   #22
GizmoDuck
Uni Hour Record Holder 29.993km

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
It also fixes my biggest beef about the Nimbus nightrider unicycles: excessive side to side flexing in the frame making rim brakes rub when climbing or doing aggressive maneuvers.
Even the stiffest frames and wheels will flex and cause brake rub. I'm not the heaviest or strongest rider and I can make the brakes rub on my 29'er.

I think it was only a matter of time that we go to Disc Brakes- it makes so much more sense.

Now we just need some deep aero 36" rims which will be even stiffer and faster. And a lighter tyre and inner tube. Maybe a carbon rim too would be nice
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 09:43 AM   #23
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Also wonder if removing the wheel/tire will be more difficult and time consuming with this brake configuration.
I'd guess it would be easier with a disc if anything. On both my unicycles with Magura rim brakes the tyre has to be completely deflated to fit between the brakes (unless you remove one of the slave cylinders which is even more of a pain having to line it up again afterwards). With a disc you would be able to remove and refit the wheel without deflating the tyre. I keep forgetting to refit my wheels before pumping the tyre up after mending a puncture or replacing the tyre - real PITA.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 12:26 PM   #24
TonyMelton
Proud owner of Kris Holms old shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniing sam View Post
Also is this exclusively just going to be sold at UDC Australia?
Unicycle.com NZ will have these in stock very shortly!
TonyMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 01:10 PM   #25
rogeratunicycledotcom
Mostly OKish Unicyclist

ok... we made a mistake. It should not have gone up and is now should be down again. The official announcement with all the details, with lots of photos are coming on about the 10 May.

Just think of this like an apple Iphone glimpse of what is to come soon.

Roger
The UK's Unicycle Source
www.unicycle.uk.com
+++++++++++++++++++
rogeratunicycledotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 02:08 PM   #26
GizmoDuck
Uni Hour Record Holder 29.993km

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
ok... we made a mistake. It should not have gone up and is now should be down again. The official announcement with all the details, with lots of photos are coming on about the 10 May.

Just think of this like an apple Iphone glimpse of what is to come soon.

Roger
Yeah, sure it is

It was a planned leak so you have us all licking our lips in anticipation, with nothing but blurry images to satisfy our hunger until the 'official announcement'.

Now if one of those could accidentally get stolen like the new Iphone....
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 02:46 PM   #27
eenwieler-sander
sander

somewhone should have bought it before it went down.
then they kinda had to give it away and we could al see the details now!!.

in this world nobody wants to wait to the 10th of may
eenwieler-sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 02:48 PM   #28
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
I keep forgetting to refit my wheels before pumping the tyre up after mending a puncture or replacing the tyre - real PITA.

Rob
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done that (more than once).
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 08:20 PM   #29
onebyone
Unicyclist

Send a message via ICQ to onebyone
OOPs...the photographs must have been taken by a spy or a unicycle journalist who tracked us down during rigerous secret testing in the remote outback. That is why they were blurry I guess and this is a good story.
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 06:04 PM   #30
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by eenwieler-sander View Post
somewhone should have bought it before it went down.
then they kinda had to give it away and we could al see the details now!!.

in this world nobody wants to wait to the 10th of may
hehehe, "shipping error" man, didn't get there until may 10th!! wow, I'm so sorry ^_^

Tags
brake, disk, impulse, model, nimbus