Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-07-28, 05:37 AM   #76
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycledood View Post
Street is to unicycling as punk is to rock.
The oddly rebellious step-child that only truly exists for about 3 months and then bores the crap out of everyone as it desperately tries to rediscover itself for the next 30 years?
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 05:59 AM   #77
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
Heres an example from a flow/flux/freeride run I did today:

Was riding with decent speed. I came up to a staircase with the intent to jump, but my cranks were super off, so I just rolled down it. I then saw a slightly larger than average curb, and did a massive rolling hop tire grab up it. rode for a few minutes, came to a cross walk, began to ride across when a car came by so I idled for a bit. Rode up the street, and found a nice 2 foot diameter manhole. Did a 180 over it, kept on riding.

I did not get off once, I just rode place to place doing a trick if I feel the need, or want to.

Not focused on tricks, not focused on just riding, not focused on rolling down/over stuff.

Its weird, you will have to see the video when I am able to make it.
STREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET YOU ****

180 over a manhole??? Oh shit wait, seeing as you rode 5min before you did the jump, I guess its called FLUCKXXXFL0W.

I'll take you seriously for a second. I'm guessing in your video, your going to get someone on a bike/skateboard to film you and you'll make a vid like Luke C's consistancy video????

Its called street.

It is called STREET

ITS CALLED STREET JEREMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILD View Post
The oddly rebellious step-child that only truly exists for about 3 months and then bores the crap out of everyone as it desperately tries to rediscover itself for the next 30 years?
Way to go Mr. Serious.

Far out your cool.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2009-07-28 at 06:02 AM.
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 06:31 AM   #78
beeper
5tr33t

Send a message via AIM to beeper Send a message via MSN to beeper
I ride my 20" everywhere. I do tricks along the way. I ride street.
Old 2009-07-28, 06:55 AM   #79
Jkohse
needs some lovin

Send a message via AIM to Jkohse Send a message via MSN to Jkohse
haha, alright. everyone needs to just calm down and let everyone ride thier unicycle the way then want to.

the great thing about street style riding is that it can be taken and combined into most things. As of latley ive been using combining my street style with my Muni and really loving the idea. Since muni is naturally so flowy, its quite the easy transition.
this flux thing seems really close to a hibb's video ( old video, love that guy has a sick section in evolution (which i have a stack of sitting in my apartment hahaha), maybe ill release it as "vintage" unicycling ).
Jkohse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 07:00 AM   #80
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohse View Post
haha, alright. everyone needs to just calm down and let everyone ride thier unicycle the way then want to.

the great thing about street style riding is that it can be taken and combined into most things. As of latley ive been using combining my street style with my Muni and really loving the idea. Since muni is naturally so flowy, its quite the easy transition.
this flux thing seems really close to a hibb's video ( old video, love that guy has a sick section in evolution (which i have a stack of sitting in my apartment hahaha), maybe ill release it as "vintage" unicycling ).
Yeeeep, yep I already linked to his vid. Love it.

Its not at all a new unicycling style tho. More a filming style. Like the aussie riders Dan C and Tomsey

Ya'reeeee
Old 2009-07-28, 07:01 AM   #81
Isaac Conyers
unicycle.com.au

Send a message via MSN to Isaac Conyers
doing tricks while riding somewhere... wow thats so creative it deserves to b classified as its own style!! *hint of sarcasm*

please give up on this idea already, its just not its own style, its just doing tricks while riding. stop trying to b the next kris holm/dan heaton/xavier collos etc. ITS NOT ITS OWN STYLE OF RIDING!!!
Old 2009-07-28, 07:15 AM   #82
Jeremy R
onceuponatimetherewasaper son

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Conyers View Post
doing tricks while riding somewhere... wow thats so creative it deserves to b classified as its own style!! *hint of sarcasm*

please give up on this idea already, its just not its own style, its just doing tricks while riding. stop trying to b the next kris holm/dan heaton/xavier collos etc. ITS NOT ITS OWN STYLE OF RIDING!!!
I rode it today, it is its own style.

Don't knock it before you try it.
Jeremy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 07:18 AM   #83
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Flo rider, Idling to wait for a car??? That kills flow.

If you were a true Flo rider you'd have ridden over the car.

Ya'reeeee
Old 2009-07-28, 07:21 AM   #84
Isaac Conyers
unicycle.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
I rode it today, it is its own style.

Don't knock it before you try it.
i hav tried it, i do it everytime im riding somewhere!! its just street but while focusing on going somewhere. the fact that my main focus is to get somewhere does not make it a different style to street!!!! IT IS STILL JUST STREET U ******!!!
Old 2009-07-28, 07:26 AM   #85
GILD

If everyone reacted in this way the first time someone suggested a freakyfookyoutiehoobiehaabieflippydoodle as a new trick, you lot wouldn't have had anything to call what ever it is you do inbetween riding.

Disagree with the idea.

Don't be disagreeable with the person who suggested it.

In other words, grow up.
Old 2009-07-28, 07:33 AM   #86
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILD View Post
If everyone reacted in this way the first time someone suggested a freakyfookyoutiehoobiehaabieflippydoodle as a new trick, you lot wouldn't have had anything to call what ever it is you do inbetween riding.

Disagree with the idea.

Don't be disagreeable with the person who suggested it.

In other words, grow up.
No dude You don't understand at all.

I'm not gonna bother bitching to Jeremy anymore over something this small.
All this confliction started when he simpley tried to claim a new style. I'm not dissing the "style" at all. Its just the fact that it already has a name. Its called street. Its simply street with flare... style and "flow". Would have been better if Jeremy just made a thread saying, I love riding street everywhere!

I ride like this everyday :s I put my headphones in and ride through my town riding street, tricking on everything I come across, jumping over, riding over obstacles, and gaping. Its called doing a "line". A Street line.

Jeremy,
Did you miss my post about Luke C's consistancy video? Your yet to awnser. Or about the video I posted.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2009-07-28 at 07:37 AM.
Old 2009-07-28, 07:38 AM   #87
Isaac Conyers
unicycle.com.au

ive had fun giving my own honest opinion and forgetting about politeness for a while. it's been fun guys but it's time for this to stop now
Old 2009-07-28, 08:04 AM   #88
GILD

Quote:
and forgetting about politeness for a while

Aye, there's the rub.
Old 2009-07-28, 09:30 PM   #89
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Street is the ultimate style! It covers so many areas. Thats why I do it. Creative anything = Street.
Freestyle is the ultimate style. It's the only one that's free. In Street (competition, that is) you have to ride on the same obstacles in the same configuration as everyone else. In Freestyle you can set up your own.

EXCEPT -- Nobody does, because it's too hard to bring a bunch of Street obstacles to a Freestyle competition, and they're almost always on a gym floor which limits the unicycles you can use. So Freestyle (competition) is not quite so free. But outside the confines of competition there is very little actual difference between the riding part of Street and Freestyle. You're doing the tricks you want to do, and the obstacles are optional.
Quote:
Street is to unicycling as punk is to rock.
I remember punk rock.
Quote:
No dude You don't understand at all.
Or is it you that doesn't understand? Or is it that you're both applying different definitions to the word "style"? To me, Street (and Freestyle and Flatland) are competition events. Only within those competition events is there a measure that says "this is the right way to do it" and "this is what you can and can't do". Outside the competitive events, you can do whatever you want and still pretty much call it Street (or Freestyle, or Flatland). It may be a really crappy version of it, but hey, where's a beginner rider to start, for instance? At the beginner level, all three of those will look the same, and none will have any particular style.

That's why I think I mentioned earlier that what Jeremy was going on about can be thought of as a subset of Street (or Freestyle or Flatland). Even Ryan Atkins (and others) promoted a similar approach to riding Trials. Try to eliminate all pre-hops. What you get is a much more flowy style.

I've been doing it since 1980, when I used to ride from my house to the local track to practice for the races. I'd slalom around the columns outside the mall, then ride along the tops of the garden curbs, up & down curbs along the way, etc. All without stopping, or doing lots of extra hops. So it's different from a more casual ride along the same route, and different from stopping to do specific skills along the way. He can try to give that approach a name if he wants, and everyone else can whine about it, and we can have this thread. There.

Quote:
...stop trying to b the next kris holm/dan heaton/xavier collos etc. ITS NOT ITS OWN STYLE OF RIDING!!!
I'm sorry, what did those guys invent? Kris didn't invent MUni, I was doing it before he learned to ride. He didn't invent Trials either (but played a vital role that's beside the point here). Dan Heaton didn't invent doing tricks while riding off obstacles. As I described above, I was doing it before he was born. Xavier Collos did not invent being awesome (and neither did I!). They all made their contributions, of course. When we all first saw Universe, we didn't say "That's just doing tricks off/around obstacles" we said WOW.

Jeremy is describing, potentially, a subset or specific approach to "wow". He didn't describe it very well, which led to a lot of the derision here, but like Andrew Drossman's Rolling Trials on Cokers, he can tell us about it and try to give it a name if he wants.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish

Last edited by johnfoss; 2009-07-28 at 09:36 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 09:48 PM   #90
Jeremy R
onceuponatimetherewasaper son

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Jeremy is describing, potentially, a subset or specific approach to "wow". He didn't describe it very well, which led to a lot of the derision here, but like Andrew Drossman's Rolling Trials on Cokers, he can tell us about it and try to give it a name if he wants.
And the reason why is I'm not 100% sure what it will be in the end yet, so who am I to say, if you want to ride this style, you must do du du dud dudu dud ududud. I'm sharing my vision, and a few other riders have responded very well to it. Not everyone though, and thats the way it should be. Not everyone cokers, does trials, street, flat, etc, etc. That doesn't mean if it is a style you might dislike you have to try to make everyone think your way.

John, that isn't at you in specific, at everyone.
Jeremy R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic fail, failblog, failboat?, failtrain, flowing, i just flowed my pants, simple, style, this is street *facepalm*, wurst