Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2009-07-25, 08:37 AM   #61
drumstuck
Unicyclist

I think this is pretty much the style of riding I have been doing for the last year. I started riding like this for several reasons. I wanted to practice for muni without the hassle of going into the hills by car so I started doing street. The town where I live, Sheffield, introduced street wardens who hassle you if you stay in one place, but don't chase after you. They are in radio contact with the towns' cctv. This means every set of stairs or street furniture can only have one 'hit'. Also, Sheffield is on a hill and I live at the top so naturally found I always rolled towards the bottom. I also hate falling when people are watching so ride well within myself so this rarely happens. All the above ended in what is now almost a half hour 'routine' during which I go down stairs, off jumps, slalom one-footed around bollards and ride down fountains without a break.
drumstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 08:20 PM   #62
Biggestbtc
Stinky Cheese Man

I should ask Jeremy if the video posted by unicycledood as his favorite street vid is what he is talking about when he speaks of flow/flux riding.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
Biggestbtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 11:33 PM   #63
pedrotejada
Europe Winter RoadTrip coming soon!

Send a message via ICQ to pedrotejada Send a message via AIM to pedrotejada Send a message via MSN to pedrotejada Send a message via Skype™ to pedrotejada
Yeah, the name sucls, but I can understand both sides... let's go:

Chris, put a 26 uni at past unicon and imagine it riding... lots of jump, cool effects, style... But it wouldn't beat Loic flip over the big set, Loic triples, the frontflip, benny supermans... In theory it could work, but in the real world will not... Street developed itself into a "tech" scene... If you take IUF rules you'll see that the obstacles they put are basically for flip tricks, unispins and etc... A 26 uni into last wuko 3/5 set section wouldn't had succes... Also the new street rules doesn't allow a really flow riding!

"Flowing" would be a kind of obstacle course with markers for tricks... like a 360 here or there... the main problem would be the judging... Some people likes more one rider style, so the best way would be counting how many jumps the rider did or anything like this...

We can't stay discussing that... Why you guys at NAUCC don't try it this week? I would be up for a ride at UNICON...!

Let's stop blaming the idea and start to change it, test it... in the end we can have a total different thing than the start, but way cooler and funnier!

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Gobble, Gobble!
pedrotejada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 10:54 AM   #64
Isaac Conyers
unicycle.com.au

Send a message via MSN to Isaac Conyers
today i discovered that 'flux' is actually the name for the earths magnetic field. true story. look it up.

Last edited by Isaac Conyers; 2009-07-26 at 10:54 AM.
Isaac Conyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:25 AM   #65
surfer1024
Zachary Wenner

Send a message via Skype™ to surfer1024
Well sorry Jeremy, this is the joke of The street/flat riders at naucc.
Street 2011

Last edited by surfer1024; 2009-07-27 at 03:25 AM.
surfer1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:31 AM   #66
Jeremy R
onceuponatimetherewasaper son

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer1024 View Post
Well sorry Jeremy, this is the joke of The street/flat riders at naucc.
Well that's too bad I thought unicyclists had open minds.
Jeremy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 11:56 AM   #67
Biggestbtc
Stinky Cheese Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
Well that's too bad I thought unicyclists had open minds.
They do, especially after they take a spill while they were not wearing a helmet.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
Old 2009-07-27, 01:52 PM   #68
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
FlowFlux is to Street as
XC is to Muni

No?
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 04:46 PM   #69
Biggestbtc
Stinky Cheese Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILD View Post
FlowFlux is to Street as
XC is to Muni

No?
DoneDough

Old 2009-07-27, 04:57 PM   #70
Jeremy R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILD View Post
FlowFlux is to Street as
XC is to Muni

No?
Eh, not really. The flow or flux or freeride is as much muni as street. I don't think many others get that.

Else they would be saying this is just trials, or this is just muni.
Old 2009-07-27, 09:44 PM   #71
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
Street is trials with tricks.
Street is flatland with flow.
Street is muni with style.

Ya'reeeee
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 09:52 PM   #72
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Eh, not really. The flow or flux or freeride is as much muni as street. I don't think many others get that.
This is your thread, is it not? Isn't it up to you to explain what you're trying to describe instead of telling the rest of us when we get it wrong? So it sounds like there's a MUni element here that I wasn't aware of. Does that mean flow like freeride mountain biking? Just rolling over all that's ahead of you? I thought it was more about linking up tricks. Please explain better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicycledood View Post
...Street is muni with style.
Street isn't MUni, unless you mean the part of MUni where you jump on/over/around stuff along the trail?

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 09:53 PM   #73
explosionsq
43% burnt

Quote:
Eh, not really. The flow or flux or freeride is as much muni as street.
Not really. Muni = mountain unicycling. If it's not offroad, its not really Muni.

I understand the idea you're going for, but I don't think its a new style. I agree with Chris. Flow is just something that street riders strive for. If you watch extreme sports videos (outside of unicycling), the best videos never just show shots of single tricks. The camera is moving, and 90% of the shots are lines. This is hard to achieve on unicycles, mostly because they are slower than other extreme sports vehicles.

Possessing flow is (in my mind) the core of any unicycle style. Trials riders who hop a million times before every gap do not look good at all. Muni riders who move slowly and do a whole bunch of static hops before every descent do not look very good. Street riders who throw in a ton of prehops and sketchy tricks into videos that maintain a pretty solid 1:1 trick-to-shot ratio do not look good either. The same applies to freestyle. It's hard to not look flowy on 20inch wheels with tiny cranks, but when I watch a good freestyler transition seamlessly between tricks its rather beautiful.

The only reason I'd call your suggested "style" street is because its flowy, rolling, and "extreme" riding in an urban environment.

I'm not trying to come down hard on you though. I think it's good that people are trying to think of new things. By all means, post a video of this new style and prove me wrong. I'd be thrilled just to see something new and creative.

As far as I can tell, however, this is just describing the original intent of street riding.
explosionsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 09:54 PM   #74
unicycledood
Rolling or nothing.

Location: New Zealand Carbonated Beverage: Coke Cartoonist: David Firth etc Style: Ling/Bane/Muta Favourite Unit: Broodlord
Send a message via MSN to unicycledood
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Street isn't MUni, unless you mean the part of MUni where you jump on/over/around stuff along the trail?
Big street Drops, gaps, slopes

Street is the ultimate style! It covers so many areas. Thats why I do it. Creative anything = Street.

Street is to unicycling as punk is to rock.

Ya'reeeee

Last edited by unicycledood; 2009-07-27 at 09:56 PM.
unicycledood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 05:22 AM   #75
Jeremy R

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
This is your thread, is it not? Isn't it up to you to explain what you're trying to describe instead of telling the rest of us when we get it wrong? So it sounds like there's a MUni element here that I wasn't aware of. Does that mean flow like freeride mountain biking? Just rolling over all that's ahead of you? I thought it was more about linking up tricks. Please explain better.
The Muni element is not the mountain part of it. It is the wheelsize and the way obstacles are handled, rolling over anything you can.

Heres an example from a flow/flux/freeride run I did today:

Was riding with decent speed. I came up to a staircase with the intent to jump, but my cranks were super off, so I just rolled down it. I then saw a slightly larger than average curb, and did a massive rolling hop tire grab up it. rode for a few minutes, came to a cross walk, began to ride across when a car came by so I idled for a bit. Rode up the street, and found a nice 2 foot diameter manhole. Did a 180 over it, kept on riding.

I did not get off once, I just rode place to place doing a trick if I feel the need, or want to.

Not focused on tricks, not focused on just riding, not focused on rolling down/over stuff.

Its weird, you will have to see the video when I am able to make it.

Tags
epic fail, failblog, failboat?, failtrain, flowing, i just flowed my pants, simple, style, this is street *facepalm*, wurst