Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-05-28, 01:37 AM   #31
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
Quote:
Originally Posted by munirocks View Post
Does anybody know the exact weight of the stiky?
1300 gr in 26"
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 08:40 AM   #32
munirocks
GUnirocks

Thanks!
Old 2009-05-28, 01:12 PM   #33
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

It doesn't seem that heavy, but then again it does seem about the same weight as the 3" Duro

If I can get the Stiky off the rim, I'm going to mount a 3" on my 26er, so I'll post a review soon. I expect that it'll ride like it's smaller breathren (24 x 3).
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 03:30 PM   #34
Michaelgoround
John 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
It doesn't seem that heavy, but then again it does seem about the same weight as the 3" Duro

If I can get the Stiky off the rim, I'm going to mount a 3" on my 26er, so I'll post a review soon. I expect that it'll ride like it's smaller breathren (24 x 3).
Good luck with that.
Old 2009-05-29, 06:02 PM   #35
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

OMFG! I broke two nylon levers and bent three aluminum levers trying to get the TRY ALL Stiky off the Koxx rim and I still couldn't get the tire off!! So I had to cut the wire bead to remove the tire! What a huge waste

Oh well, so at least I got the Duro 3" installed, though it wasn't much easier to install than the Stiky. Anyone else have trouble mounting tires on the Koxx rims? Is it me or is there a problem with these rims, i.e. slightly bigger diameter? I have had no problems mounting similar tires on KH, UDC, and other rims. Wierd.

I'll post a review of the Duro 26 x 3 later this weekend.
Old 2009-05-29, 07:46 PM   #36
kerosian
USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
OMFG! I broke two nylon levers and bent three aluminum levers trying to get the TRY ALL Stiky off the Koxx rim and I still couldn't get the tire off!! So I had to cut the wire bead to remove the tire! What a huge waste

Oh well, so at least I got the Duro 3" installed, though it wasn't much easier to install than the Stiky. Anyone else have trouble mounting tires on the Koxx rims? Is it me or is there a problem with these rims, i.e. slightly bigger diameter? I have had no problems mounting similar tires on KH, UDC, and other rims. Wierd.

I'll post a review of the Duro 26 x 3 later this weekend.
I had to buy steel motocross levers for my MUni tires, they don't go down without a fight.
Old 2009-05-29, 07:49 PM   #37
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Must be the Koxx rim - I've had no problem mounting or removing Duro 3" tyres from my Alex DX32 or new Nimbus rim (which I believe is the same as a 2005 KH). Goes on without levers, comes off with normal nylon ParkTool ones. I've not tried a TryAll tyre though.

Rob

Last edited by rob.northcott; 2009-05-29 at 07:50 PM.
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 04:20 PM   #38
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Must be the Koxx rim - I've had no problem mounting or removing Duro 3" tyres from my Alex DX32 or new Nimbus rim (which I believe is the same as a 2005 KH). Goes on without levers, comes off with normal nylon ParkTool ones. I've not tried a TryAll tyre though.
I agree, it was quite difficult to mount the Duro, which is odd, so I'm thinking it's the rim, maybe the sidewall is taller?

Anyway, I rode the 26 x 3 Duro Wildlife Leopard, I'll try to compare it the 24 x 3 version of the same tire and the Intense DH 24 x 3.

The Intense DH has a stiff sidewall, so it is nice for carving, holds a nice line through tricky soils, but tends to cut the shoulders of the trail where a softer shouldered tire like the Duro might conform a little better.

The 26" duro is very similar to the 24" duro, though being taller it is a bit better at tracking, but a bit more difficult to work through tight terrain. I did find that I had to run a little more pressure in the Duro than I did in the Intense, this is probably due to the sidewall differences.

I do like the Duro, it is nice and sticky and seems to mold itself well to the terrain, making it easier to work over obstacles at speed. However, at my weight (200#) the tire did seem to fold over onto the sidewall more easilly, which can make riding at low pressures a little squirrely.

In comaprison to my previous two 26er tires, the TRY ALL Stiky 2.5 and the Gazz Jr 2.6, I find the extra volume to be more compatible with technical riding, riding over obstacles, but it is a little slower than the narrower tires and does not hold a line as well as the lower volume Stiky. The Gazz Jr 2.6 has a stiffer sidewall, so it rides more like the Intense DH.

Nice tire overall, not an XC tire, but decent for crossover use. I'll probably build an XC 26er and run an MTB tire 2.3-2.5
Old 2009-06-03, 05:21 PM   #39
colin340
colin340

could i get a review on the

could i get a review on the Panaracer Fire FR 24" x 2.4

i know it's skinny
i like to carve and do some drops

Last edited by colin340; 2009-06-03 at 05:29 PM.
colin340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 01:09 PM   #40
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

hi, anyone experience with the racing ralph from schwalbe in 29"?
it weights only 580gr. and it's a 2.4
sure the sidewalls are very soft, and it's not very grippy, but how is it for xc?

i put it today on turtle's V, because we have the 24h race at the end of june, and if it's dry i think that could be a good choice...

who tried this tyre?

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 09:52 AM   #41
lowlight
lowlight

Quote:
hi, anyone experience with the racing ralph from schwalbe in 29"?
it weights only 580gr. and it's a 2.4
sure the sidewalls are very soft, and it's not very grippy, but how is it for xc?
Hi, yeh I use it, running tubeless. It's not as good as the WTB Stout for soaking up bumps but I love the low weight, its so noticeable. I think the 580g figure might be or the 2.1 version or something as I think the claimed weight is maybe 640g for the 2.4 but thats not too much difference.

I am using it this weekend for a 24hr xc event in the UK so can let you know how it holds up. I've used it once in mud and it was pretty tricky so you might want to switch to a narrower one if it gets wet.

I run mine at about 20psi which is maybe quite low but I find gives a nice cushon over bumps. Any lower than that and I find it feels a bit of a 'trampoline', this is the best word I can find to describe it.

Hope your race goes well,

Dan
lowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 05:33 PM   #42
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

also good luck to your race, and thanks for the reply!

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 11:10 PM   #43
munirocks
GUnirocks

I was just looking for the Wildlife Leopard on the Duro website. I couldn't find any information on it. Does that mean they are not producing them anymore?
The only 3" wide tire they seem to offer now is the Razorback, available in 24" and 26" size. Has anyone tried that one yet?

Last edited by munirocks; 2009-09-14 at 11:10 PM.
munirocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 11:33 PM   #44
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
I dont know about that RazorBack but it looks exactly like the Duro Wildlife Leopard, I know the Halo Contra that is exactly like the Duro also.

Custom frame builder
jaco_flans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 12:41 AM   #45
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
Duro seriously has to stop re-branding everyhting, I think it's stupid.
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre