Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2017-10-24, 09:02 PM   #421
bouin-bouin
Didier

What about de Maxxis Ardent 26x2.6 and the Maxxis High Roller 26x2.7 (I didn't like the 26.2.5) ?
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-25, 03:41 AM   #422
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Sillycontraption,

The 3" tire fits with a 1/4" to spare on each side.
With hard unbalanced cornering I can hear it rub but that's not too often.

It's an awesome tire.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-26, 05:15 PM   #423
Sillycontraption
unicyclist

Thanks canoeheadted. I will look into getting one.
Old 2017-11-30, 09:06 AM   #424
knieza1

Hi, I need your advice. I want a new 27,5" tire and think over Schwalbe Rocket Ron Addix SpeedGrip TLE SS 27,5"x3,00" or Schwalbe Nobby Nic Addix SpeedGrip TLE SS Apex 27,5x3.00". Now i ride Maxxis Highroller and its great, but its snowing and i want/need somthing wider. Thanks
knieza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 11:09 AM   #425
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by knieza1 View Post
Hi, I need your advice. I want a new 27,5" tire and think over Schwalbe Rocket Ron Addix SpeedGrip TLE SS 27,5"x3,00" or Schwalbe Nobby Nic Addix SpeedGrip TLE SS Apex 27,5x3.00". Now i ride Maxxis Highroller and its great, but its snowing and i want/need somthing wider. Thanks
For snow, take the Nobby Nic. But be sure to catch the Apex version. Int's an absolutely great tire. I ride it in 27.5x2.8 and could not imagine a better tire.
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 02:15 PM   #426
knieza1

And what about maxxis shorty 2,5" or west cream. They are very good fpr mud.
knieza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 11:13 PM   #427
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Curious to know if anyone has found a 29x3 (or more) tyre that works alright in the kind of not-deep snow we get in the UK?

I've got a newest-gen KH frame so not sure of the widest I can fit. I'm really tempted to try riding it in the snow, but can't really do it on a 2" Marathon Supreme
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 09:09 AM   #428
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

I have ridden die Maxxis Minion DHR II in 27,5+ on a MTB in Snow. it worked very well, as Maxxis in general has excellent tires. This tire is available in 29 x 3.0 as well.

http://maxxistires.de/produkt/minion-dhr2-plus/?
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 07:08 PM   #429
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Smart Sam 26" x 2.25 folding

Here are my first impressions of the Schwalbe Smart Sam 26" x 2.25 folding tire. I bought it after having a favorable experience with a Smart Sam 2.1" x 24".

Back story: When I started riding muni, my 26" Oracle came with Duro Leopard DH tire. I don't really bomb down hills, and there are a lot of uphills on my local trails, so I changed to a lighter Maxxis Ardent 2.4". The conditions here in SoCal are pretty dry, so I wanted to experiment with an even narrower tire, so I went with the 2.25" wide Smart Sam.

First Impressions: There is more side-to-side play in the Smart Sam. This was initially off-putting. I wish the tire had a lower profile (not sure of the term for the added diameter of the tire over the wheel), because I run it at higher pressure and am not bottoming-out while hitting rocks and such.

Comparing my 24" setup to my 26" setup, both with Smart Sam tires: The 24" is a 2.1" with a slightly wider KH rim, and the 26" is a 2.25" with the slightly narrower Nimbus rim. I think the combination of a wider rim with a narrower tire works better, reduces the side-to-side play in the tire. At the same pressure, the 26" x 2.25" seemed a lot more wobbly than the 24" x 2.1".

Big Difference: My 24' x 2.1" is a wire bead, and the 26" x 2.25" is a folding tire. I am not sure if this affects the side-to-side wobbliness of the tires, but as I mentioned, the 26" x 2.25" was more wobbly than the 24" x 2.1" t the same pressure. There are so many factors in performance, it's hard to isolate the effect of one variable.

For my first ride, I pumped up the Smart Sam to about 36 psi. The rolling resistance was a bit more than I'm used to with the Ardent. For my next ride, I'm going to increase the pressure to 40 psi. Hopefully that'll decrease the rolling resistance. Also, there was a greater degree of auto-steer at 36 psi. I assume that raising the pressure will also make the unicycle turn more nimbly.

The Smart Sam is not bad for me. I am not a macho downhill rider. I have learned to adapt to bumpy conditions while running relatively high pressure. I like a light tire for uphill riding. The tire is advertised as being long wearing, which is good. If you like lower pressure, if you like the tire to absorb the bumps, then the Smart Sam is going to be a disaster.

I'll try to follow up on this review after a few more rides (if I make it that long).
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-09, 01:53 PM   #430
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Vee Trax Fatty 29x3.0

Just took delivery of this tyre and put it on my G29! My plan with this one is mostly for gravel grinding and riding through the general crud that lines the UK's cycling trails in the winter/spring. I'm hoping to be able to use it on-road as well, but obviously not expecting high performance in this area compared to my skinny, slick Schwalbe Marathon Supreme

I had a quick spin out round the local reservoir, and found the tyre gripped like crazy even in the horse poo-infused wet and sloppy mud, and the big size soaks up the giant potholes really well. I did find it to be pretty susceptible to camber, but maybe I just need to tinker with the pressure more for that one.

When riding to the reservoir (ie. on the road) I found it squirmed around a bit but it was fine. In high gear it was a non-issue.

When I was playing in the mud, I let a fair bit of air out of the tyre as it became a bit too bouncy - No science at all, just put a rock into the valve for a few seconds - and it was after this that I found that beautiful grip! Unfortunately on the ride home it was barely rideable on the road. I guess I let a bit too much out

This was all in the 114m crankhole, so maybe a longer crankhole would be better all round for controlling this ridiculous thing.

So... pretty much as everyone says with plus-sized/fatty tyres. You've got to find that pressure sweet spot. I just dumped a bit under 20psi into it, rode to the reservoir and let some air out until it felt alright, so it's probably somewhere between 10 and 15. I'll have to experiment some more!

Pics!

Clean:

Dirty:
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2018-03-09 at 02:09 PM.
Old 2018-03-09, 02:34 PM   #431
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post

Dirty:
As long as you can still recognize the colour of the frame, it is not dirty.
Old 2018-03-09, 04:34 PM   #432
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Point taken! The tyre was a different colour by the time I came home though

The mud was more like thick, wet clay to be honest - by the time I got home the back end of the uni was the colour of sand. Had to clean that rubbish off carefully so it wouldn't scratch the blue on its way out.
Old 2018-03-10, 04:43 PM   #433
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Well, I've ridden the tyre for a couple of days now and it seems to be fine, BUT I've noticed a bit of a weird thing with it. There's a very visible *bump* in the tyre. It's not noticable when riding, but if you spin the wheel it's pretty obvious. The line that runs along the outside edge of the rim seems to dip down by about half an inch along the tyre, making me think it's not hooking onto the bead properly. I've done the usual job of whacking it good while inflating, as well as pulling the tyre with my fingers and inflating it.

Not sure if this is fine and the tyre just needs to bed in a bit, or if I should be worried about this?

Old 2018-03-10, 06:37 PM   #434
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

All sorted! Got some advice off Facebook saying to cover it all in soapy water and inflate it good 'n hard. I whacked it up to 35psi and with an almighty POP, it jumped into place.

Makes me think this is going to be a ridiculously hard tubeless conversion. Maybe I need a compressor
Old 2018-03-12, 08:37 AM   #435
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

If you have big volume tires to be set tubeless and no compressor such a thing can become very handy. It has an air tank to be filled up with high pressure first, then in on shot you fill up the tire:

https://www.bike-discount.de/de/tope...ter_standpumpe

Or if you already have a decent floor pump, you can go external:

https://www.bike-discount.de/de/kauf...booster-577789

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre