Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-05-11, 01:43 PM   #16
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
OK, probably will get the high roller then! I am the size of a 12 year old so for me the weight/size is hard to handle.
Did you read my post to your thread asking for suggestions?

You need a more aggressive tire for muni than a roller. The rollers are okay for hardpacl, but on wet conditions they suffer. A 2.5 is okay, a 2.6-2.7 would be better. Look for tires that are lighter that 1000gm.

A cheap tire to try in the Kenda Kolossal 2.6

BTW: I have been riding the 26 x 2.5 TYRALL STIKY for a few weeks and it is working out great. Not a super high volume tire, so I can't bounce like I do on a 3", but it has plenty of volume for trail riding at my 200#. I run low air pressure 15-20# and have no rim hits. Also has a good bite in the mud for a 2.5" tire.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 07:59 PM   #17
munirocks
GUnirocks

I wonder if that try-all stiky would fit with the KH26 frame. Could you measure the outside diameter in order to find out about that? Maybe I would get that frame then.
Old 2009-05-12, 08:21 AM   #18
uni98
what can you do with 1 wheel?

Send a message via MSN to uni98 Send a message via Skype™ to uni98
again with the trials 12" Could I just go to a bike shop??

I luv FLAT UNIyay
uni98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 12:02 PM   #19
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I wonder if that try-all stiky would fit with the KH26 frame. Could you measure the outside diameter in order to find out about that? Maybe I would get that frame then.
I'll get you a measurement tonight, though I'm pretty sure it'll fit since this is the tire size Kris spec'd for the frame. BTW, there's tons of room in the Nimbus frame

What we also need is a frame crown height and width, maybe UDC could provide those dimensions?

Though I'm liking the tire, 2.5 is much smaller than a 3", so I don't have the cushioning or bounce I'd gotten used to. It is way faster and smooth than my 24 x 3, sorta' like my 29er with a Stout; but better of course
Old 2009-05-14, 11:59 AM   #20
cbs
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Did you read my post to your thread asking for suggestions?

You need a more aggressive tire for muni than a roller. The rollers are okay for hardpacl, but on wet conditions they suffer. A 2.5 is okay, a 2.6-2.7 would be better. Look for tires that are lighter that 1000gm.

A cheap tire to try in the Kenda Kolossal 2.6

BTW: I have been riding the 26 x 2.5 TYRALL STIKY for a few weeks and it is working out great. Not a super high volume tire, so I can't bounce like I do on a 3", but it has plenty of volume for trail riding at my 200#. I run low air pressure 15-20# and have no rim hits. Also has a good bite in the mud for a 2.5" tire.
They do not make the kolossal anymore! But the one I was considering are the high rollers, not holy rollers. They look like this:

But I might get the Kenda 2.6 Kinetics. I put on a 2" tioga Comp III BMX tire with little tread. I cant seem to put back on DH tires well on the KH rim as I popped the tube lol and dont have extra. I was desparate to go on a night ride so I put on what I had. It felt literally like the uni was less then HALF the weight! Almost too easy to pedal now, not a major seizure to manage it and man did I go fast. No rolling resistance in comparison and easy to maneuver. The negative is that it was squirrelly and took a lot of balance as this tire is too narrow. But if I get better, sure on the road I will love a tire not too much wider then this. But for muni, I would say 2.6 may be good. I need good knobs, a touch less wide and definitely lighter weight. The trails here get very muddy in spring so I cant go with a more smooth tire in general.

For now I'll keep the 3" one until I ride a 2.6 and figure its doable. I was having less of a problem with my knees hitting the tire as I'm learning to ride bow legged lol. I'm running out of money now so have to limit my purchases. My popped tube cost me the option to change to Nimbus seat so I guess I will custom the KH seat to be narrower in the center now.

Oh, I ordered a 2.6 wide tube, this is good for a 2.5 wide hookworm correct? Open for feedback on a good muni tire for me still. I guess Kinetics will be it. I'm under 100# so not sure if I need a 3.0 tire.

Last edited by cbs; 2009-05-14 at 12:04 PM.
cbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 12:18 PM   #21
cbs
Unicyclist

Anyone try the Halo Ception 24x 2.6?
Old 2009-05-14, 06:25 PM   #22
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

No more Kolossal? Oh well, it wasn't thebest tire, kinda had a funny centerline and akward knobs on the shoulders. The picture you posted of the Roller is not one I'm familiar with, so it might work. What you want in a muni tire is sticky rubber, a flattish profile when mounted, and enough lugs to dig through muddier conditions, also light weight and wih enough volume to give you some ride cushion and rebound. Tires are not always true to their listed size, so it helps to see it mounted on your rim first, so maybe a shop would do that for you before you buy? On the KH 24 you have a wide rim, so most tires will flatten out nicely. In my experience it can take a few tire purchases before you find one you like, but in the end it's worth the trouble.

And no, you don't "need" a 3" tire, it's just nice for certain conditions, though at your weight a narrower tire run at low pressures will be fine, just like my son's friend who runs a 24x 2.6
Many folks run narrower tires than a 3", the 3" is more a muni trials/extreme tire.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2009-05-14 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2009-05-20, 03:54 PM   #23
SingularCycle
Riding along the Charles

Other 24" Muni Options

I've been looking for other options for 24" high-volume muni tires. In particular tires which aren't being discontinued as it seems the Intense, IRC, Gazzoloddis are.

Does anyone have experience with either the Nokian Gazza North Shore or the Arrow Racing Wide Bite?

Thanks
SingularCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 05:15 PM   #24
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with either the Nokian Gazza North Shore
Doesn't look like it's available in the USA. The Arrow tire is heavy, but I like Arrow tires, might be worth a try once the Intense and Duro become scarce.

I've gone to a 26" rim partly because I see the writing on the wall: 24" is going out of style. Hopefully I'm wrong, it will mess up the 24" muni scene if DH tires become obsolete.

I think 24" are easier to manage off road, esp in trials situations, but a 26" can do more or less the same given a big enough tire.
Old 2009-05-20, 08:15 PM   #25
SingularCycle
Riding along the Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Doesn't look like it's available in the USA. The Arrow tire is heavy, but I like Arrow tires, might be worth a try once the Intense and Duro become scarce.

I've gone to a 26" rim partly because I see the writing on the wall: 24" is going out of style. Hopefully I'm wrong, it will mess up the 24" muni scene if DH tires become obsolete.
I think you're exactly right. I come from a mountain biking background and was around when the 24" fad was in its heyday (about 2001-2). Pretty much every popular downhill tire came in a 24" version then. Not anymore. It's really a shame muni isn't popular enough to justify someone producing a solid 24"x3" uni-specific tire. I'm on the bigger side (#210, 6'3") and not sure a lower-volume tire is a good idea.

I'm new to unicycling, but the popularity of two odd sizes (24", 29") seems strange to me. The 29" size has increased popularity in mountain biking currently, but I wonder if it's doomed to go the way of the 24".

What 26" setup (frame/wheel/tire) are you using Ben?
Old 2009-05-21, 02:56 AM   #26
cbs
Unicyclist

I just order a Kinetics DH 24x2.6 tire, wire. It was a rear one, on good sale. I hope it works out and was the right one. I think this is just under 1100 grams which would be good. Getting concerned there are so few 24" tires as this is the one I LOVE!!!!
Old 2009-05-21, 04:01 PM   #27
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
What 26" setup (frame/wheel/tire) are you using Ben?
I started with a Nimbus frame, built a wheel using the KH Ti hub and a Koxx 26" drilled rim. The Koxx rim was the only wide rim until KH started making their 2" rim this past month. The KH rim is probably better quality, not that the Koxx is bad, but KH makes good stuff. I like the Koxx because I can get colors other than black.

This is my second 26" Nimbus, I ride a TRY ALL 2.5" now, previously on a Gzz 2.6", it's not as cushy or easy to ride as a 3". I have even considered splitting the difference and getting a 2.6-2.7, but I still have a 24" muni with an Intense 3" so it'd be redundant.

BTW, I was just on the Cambria bikes website, looking at tires of course, and I saw a whole lot of tires choices in the 24" and 26" from 2.5" - 3" that would work well for muni.

If you go to their site, search tires, DH, then place your cursor over the buy now and it'll give you sizing choices. Arrow, Intense, Kenda, and Continental all have some high volume choices in both rim sizes, though there's more for a 26".
Old 2009-05-26, 04:16 PM   #28
rob.northcott
Mainly XC Muni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularCycle View Post
the popularity of two odd sizes (24", 29") seems strange to me.
I think it's just a case of use what there is. With a bike, wheel size isn't as important (within reason of course) as you can just gear it to suit whatever riding you're doing. With a unicycle, the direct drive means the wheel size matters more. For fast xc you want a big diameter. 26x3 DH tyres are nice if it's rocky and you need/want more suspension (I'm a big fan of that size for my usual routes), but if you don't need the cush and are saving weight, a lighter 26" xc tyre results in a noticeably smaller, slower wheel. Not much, admittedly, but certainly for racing you want to get that diameter back - hence the use of 700c rims with fat tyres ("29er").

Of course, for light xc (or road) we often use a 36", which is an even weirder size! While it exists, use what's available. Until we have (commonly available, reliable and inexpensive) multi-speed gearing on unicycles we're going to be more fussy than bikers about wheel size.

Rob
rob.northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 12:59 AM   #29
SingularCycle
Riding along the Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.northcott View Post
I think it's just a case of use what there is. With a bike, wheel size isn't as important (within reason of course) as you can just gear it to suit whatever riding you're doing. With a unicycle, the direct drive means the wheel size matters more. For fast xc you want a big diameter. 26x3 DH tyres are nice if it's rocky and you need/want more suspension (I'm a big fan of that size for my usual routes), but if you don't need the cush and are saving weight, a lighter 26" xc tyre results in a noticeably smaller, slower wheel. Not much, admittedly, but certainly for racing you want to get that diameter back - hence the use of 700c rims with fat tyres ("29er").

Of course, for light xc (or road) we often use a 36", which is an even weirder size! While it exists, use what's available. Until we have (commonly available, reliable and inexpensive) multi-speed gearing on unicycles we're going to be more fussy than bikers about wheel size.

Rob
I hadn't meant to imply that liking or using a 24" or 29" size is strange. For me (and you and many others I am sure) a 24" is perhaps the best size. You're certainly right that wheel size to a unicyclist is a big deal...in many ways one could argue it's equivalent to frame size + frame geometry + wheel size in mountain bikes. And even the mountain bikers are fussy about wheel size. I met a rider last week who swears by 650c wheels.

What I had intended to comment on was the relative lack of 26" options compared to 24" and 29". Admittedly I am new to unicycling and wasn't aware of many 26" muni options out there. As I've researched more in the last week, it seems that a good number of 26" munis do exist and are increasing in number (Kris Holm model in late 2009 for example).

I think it is a blessing and curse to be in a fringe sport. In some ways choosing from two tires is easier than from a hundred.
Old 2009-05-27, 05:13 AM   #30
munirocks
GUnirocks

I am considering to get a try-all 26x2.5 tire to put on my geared 26" wheel (which is still on its second long vacation in Switzerland and no sign of a return so far). It will go into the KH29 frame for now, and if I like it better than a 3" beast I may get the KH26 frame after all. I thought about it once more and found that I should try to get that setup lighter. I think that would make it about 300g lighter then. Does anybody know the exact weight of the stiky?

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre