Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-08-15, 05:54 PM   #196
stingingkneeben
Ben Glynn

i keep saying nimbus is the best why wont anyone believe it !
Old 2011-08-15, 06:53 PM   #197
raymanh
KH20" trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophidian View Post
Just looked through this entire thread and noticed something interesting. No broken Nimbus frames. Broken Koxx-1, Kris Holm, Torker and others but no Nimbus. I'm not saying they're unbreakable, I'm sure that people have broken them but, 14 pages of broken stuff and no Nimbus frames. Just sayin.
...Because none of the top guys ride a Nimbus. It's mainly either KH, Koxx or Impact that they ride.
Old 2011-08-15, 07:01 PM   #198
hydrophidian
Unicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymanh View Post
...Because none of the top guys ride a Nimbus. It's mainly either KH, Koxx or Impact that they ride.
That's cool but, if they ride those brands because they're stronger, that would imply that Nimbus was a weaker frame, in which case I'd imagine there'd be at least a couple of Nimbus frames here. I see a lot of people riding them and they're definitely popular among street/trials riders. Heck, there were generic unicycles and even a couple of Torkers in there. I doubt that there are many "Top Guys" riding last generation Torker DXs.

The reason I ask is that, I just ordered a Nimbus II 300mm longneck frame for that Profile/Monty wheelset and I was wondering about the strength of the Nimbus II frames. I checked through the entire thread and didn't notice any broken Nimbus frames so, I figured I'd say something. If nothing else, to bait someone who has broken one to step up with pics or, at least a story.

Last edited by hydrophidian; 2011-08-15 at 07:02 PM.
hydrophidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 07:35 PM   #199
gohabsgo333
max

Send a message via MSN to gohabsgo333
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophidian View Post
That's cool but, if they ride those brands because they're stronger, that would imply that Nimbus was a weaker frame, in which case I'd imagine there'd be at least a couple of Nimbus frames here. I see a lot of people riding them and they're definitely popular among street/trials riders. Heck, there were generic unicycles and even a couple of Torkers in there. I doubt that there are many "Top Guys" riding last generation Torker DXs.

The reason I ask is that, I just ordered a Nimbus II 300mm longneck frame for that Profile/Monty wheelset and I was wondering about the strength of the Nimbus II frames. I checked through the entire thread and didn't notice any broken Nimbus frames so, I figured I'd say something. If nothing else, to bait someone who has broken one to step up with pics or, at least a story.
The nimbus frames are definitely strong. However, they are bulkier and heavier, and don't look as nice.

gohabsgo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 07:36 PM   #200
JacobSpera
Street

Smile

A nimbus frame is super strong but its heavy and it kills your knees because of the crown. The old model of the nimbus frame had a round crown and i rode that until impact came out with their frame. No unicycle is invincible, some break faster than others. The reason why they break is because of the design or because of the material. An aluminum frame will break before a chromo frame. There is no one brand that is the best because people ride differently and do different things. The strongest unicycle is one you make for your style.
Old 2011-08-25, 08:53 PM   #201
aidanteleki
Unicyclist

Attached Images

Old 2011-09-21, 01:56 AM   #202
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
wtf.... Today I broke my Sun Double Wide rim... on a 3-flat-3 set... I'm confused....

Custom frame builder
jaco_flans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 02:05 AM   #203
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
Did that rim break in 3 places?!?

I thought that the sun doublewide was supposed to be ridiculously overbuilt, heavy but indestructible.
Old 2011-09-21, 02:16 AM   #204
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Did that rim break in 3 places?!?

I thought that the sun doublewide was supposed to be ridiculously overbuilt, heavy but indestructible.
Yes it did break in 3 places. And I also thought they were indestructible that's why I bought 2! After talking and looking at Jacob Spera's videos I was 100% sure I wouldn't break one. I wonder what could've caused that. I did a few 8 and 9 sets with no problem, it was still straight and round. It's the first time I break a rim.

Custom frame builder
Old 2011-09-21, 03:50 AM   #205
JacobSpera
Street

strange stuff...
Old 2011-09-23, 05:41 PM   #206
aarons
Eating a sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_flans View Post
wtf.... Today I broke my Sun Double Wide rim... on a 3-flat-3 set... I'm confused....

Looks OK to me. Just tape it up and get back out there .
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 08:06 PM   #207
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons View Post
Looks OK to me. Just tape it up and get back out there .
I did think about this... But it's not really round anymore. And I guess I wont be able to ride a brake for muni. I think I'll just rebuilt my other Double Wide and put this one on my wall

Custom frame builder
Old 2011-09-23, 08:20 PM   #208
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I think any rim can be killed if you land it with enough lateral force. If the wheel was not pointed in the direction of your landing(s), this is the most likely final cause. Also if the spokes were getting loose or out of whack from lots of previous jumps that would be a factor.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 10:27 PM   #209
trepper687
Doin' my thang

D:

Nimbus shawdow handle base. Noooo.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:40 PM   #210
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepper687 View Post
Nimbus shawdow handle base. Noooo.
The first generation of those seemed to have a weakness in that very area; possibly a manufacturing defect. Many people got free replacements when that happened, including me, so check with your seller, and they may make you whole pretty soon!

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish

Last edited by johnfoss; 2011-10-10 at 10:41 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, parts, post, uni