Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-04-12, 04:19 PM   #1
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
Will rubber cement work for vulcanizing tire patches

I have a bunch of tire patches left over because I have used up the glue. I found some replacement glue tubes for tire patches, but they are small and expensive. I was wondering if regular rubber cement such Elmers will work. Does it vulcanize?
scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 04:35 PM   #2
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Tube patch kit glue is not a vulcanizing agent. It is simple rubber cement like Elmer's or other products. That stuff should work fine.

Vulcanization takes place at high temperatures with chemical additives. The molecular bonding is changed in a manner that strengthens the rubber and makes it resistant to chemical attack. It doesn't happen at room temperature.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 05:05 PM   #3
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

Send a message via MSN to saskatchewanian Send a message via Skype™ to saskatchewanian
I don't even buy patch kits anymore. Regular rubber cement and regular cut-up tubes work great. I have not had a patch leak in 10 years.
saskatchewanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 11:41 PM   #4
mgrant
Ever hoping for the best!

Send a message via AIM to mgrant Send a message via MSN to mgrant Send a message via Yahoo to mgrant Send a message via Skype™ to mgrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
...Vulcanization takes place at high temperatures ...
Normally I would agree with Harper (because he's a lot smarter and older than me). But ever since he claimed that water is incompressible I've felt compelled to clarify/correct his mis-information.

Vulcanization does NOT take place at high temperatures. It takes place at a temperature slightly warmer than that of Earth (as Vulcan is a little hotter than Earth).

True Vulcanizing agents are VERY expensive since Vulcan is about 16 light years from Earth and neither UPS nor Fed-Ex ship from Vulcan.

-mg

p.s. I'm not really sure what developing pointy ears and an obsession with logic/lack of emotion has to do with patching leaky tubes.
mgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 12:03 AM   #5
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
Normally I would agree with Harper (because he's a lot smarter and older than me). But ever since he claimed that water is incompressible I've felt compelled to clarify/correct his mis-information.

Vulcanization does NOT take place at high temperatures. It takes place at a temperature slightly warmer than that of Earth (as Vulcan is a little hotter than Earth).

True Vulcanizing agents are VERY expensive since Vulcan is about 16 light years from Earth and neither UPS nor Fed-Ex ship from Vulcan.

-mg

p.s. I'm not really sure what developing pointy ears and an obsession with logic/lack of emotion has to do with patching leaky tubes.
You're right that is was foolish of me to post that water is incompressible when, much like tungsten, it obviously is not.

My part of the vulcanization discussion did not involve cost. I feel that including transportation costs to various alien places like Vulcan, Congo, or Utah for unicycle repair is entirely justified.

Long time, no see, mg. Are the peewees all riding by now?

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 12:09 AM   #6
mgrant

Send a message via AIM to mgrant Send a message via MSN to mgrant Send a message via Yahoo to mgrant Send a message via Skype™ to mgrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Long time, no see, mg. Are the peewees all riding by now?
Three of the four ride. My youngest daughter (4) is scared of her two-wheeler and won't even consider a unicycle yet.

-mg
Old 2009-04-13, 06:05 PM   #7
scotthue
10k & Marathon World Champ

Send a message via Skype™ to scotthue
Now I'm very confused. Thanks guys.
scotthue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 06:45 PM   #8
mgrant

My apologies for the silly thread-jack.

Yes. Normal rubber cement should work fine.

-mg
Old 2009-04-13, 07:43 PM   #9
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Vulcanising patches work by chemically bonding the patch and the tube rather than by sticking the patch onto the tube with an intervening layer of glue.

No doubt purists would argue over whether it is true "vulcanisation", but "vulcanising patches" do work in a different way from the ordinary sort.

That said, I should imagine you can just stick 'em on in the old fashioned way.
Old 2009-09-01, 02:31 AM   #10
Chrashing
O>OO

Wow, I found this thread while googling ' Chemical Vulcanizing Cement'. Never thought I'd find a path back home to the unicyclist forum.

I've found products described to be vulcanizing rubber cement for tubes. I'm just not sure if these products only do their vulcanizes thing if you use the patches from the same manufacturer. Detailed descriptions describe the chemical vulcanization happens with the gum of the patch. Since I want to join a rubber tube to rubber tube without the patch material, I'm not sure the vulcanizing will happen.

I'll try to call REMA tomorrow.

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 02:51 AM   #11
jtrops
Unicyclist

I bought a can of patch cement at an auto parts store that is the same as the stuff in the tubes. I've used regular rubber cement, but this stuff definately works better. I have been making my patches from old tubes and cleaning them with acetone before applying the cement. The bond is very good, if not as good as using a factory made patch.
jtrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 01:22 AM   #12
Chrashing
O>OO

I tried using REMA cold vulcanizing fluid. and it worked worst the Schwinn patch kit cement. There was no vulcanization, seems to be plain rubber cement.

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cement, patches, rubber, tire, tube, vulcanizing, work