Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-04-12, 04:41 AM   #1
jtrops
Unicyclist

24x3 Felt Berm Master Tire

Price: $30 US
Spec's: Casing, 30 tpi
Rubber: 55 durometer
Weight: ?

A while back I read on a post about this tire and found one at my local bike shop. I bought one to try it out and I have really been enjoying it. It's got good bounce, and handles low pressure very well. It does an alright job of shedding dirt/mud and so isn't a bad all around tire, but it would be better for dry conditions. The round profile handles road crown well, and it handles well in really rounded out trails. This tire is easier to turn than other tires I have had, but it is probably not as sticky either. The sidewalls are nice and heavy so the tire has good support.

This is really just a preliminary write-up. I'll post more after I put some more distance on the tire.
jtrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 12:37 AM   #2
OneWheelLess
weather is a fiend

Any updates? I've been looking forward to more info on how this tire performs/ holds up under fairly frequent riding.
Old 2009-04-17, 05:45 PM   #3
jtrops
Unicyclist

Lately I've been riding my 29'er a lot, but the MUni has been out a few more times since the last write up. Not much new to report, but so far my initial feelings are unchanged. Here's a little update:

The tire is generally great. It's fast rolling, and smooth. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to ride it in soft stuff, but the one good ride I had leads me to think that it will fair pretty well, but a bit less sure footing than a DH tire.

I really like how maneuverable it is. It's super easy to turn, and it holds well when I'm digging in to a corner.

After I have had more time on the tire I will write more, but for now it is a lot of fun.
Old 2009-04-18, 03:41 AM   #4
OneWheelLess
weather is a fiend

awesome, thanks!
Old 2009-07-17, 07:59 PM   #5
jtrops
Unicyclist

Update

I still can't speak too much about the wet performance of this tire, but for dry, and super dry single track it is a solid performer, and is wearing like iron. This tire has incredible float. I was on a trail today that had a bunch of beachy sections that had stopped some mountain bikes. This tire floated over the sand and made it through without skipping a beat.

It seems to have good grip when I'm going uphill into small rock gardens. The tire holds on and helps me pull up and over obstacles that I would have thrown me.

I still find it a nice tire with more pressure for road as well. It might be a good cross tire for Muni/road. If I could only afford a Guni.
Old 2009-07-23, 08:26 AM   #6
jogi
vegan rider

do you know whether there is a 26" x3" version of this tire

jogi
www.ridetriton.com
jogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 01:26 AM   #7
jtrops
Unicyclist

I just looked at the Felt website, and it looks like the 26" version is only 2.125".

I don't know what current tires are available in 26x3, but I'm sure someone is making one.
Old 2009-07-24, 08:59 PM   #8
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
That tire looks cool for XC riding, It doesn't look like a 3". I dont know if I like it or not it looks like a strange tire.
Old 2009-07-24, 09:09 PM   #9
jtrops
Unicyclist

I'll put calipers on it, but it's definately a big tire, and about the same size as my Intense 24x3. It does have a lower profile tread, and so I would imagine that it's a little smaller.
Old 2009-07-24, 10:37 PM   #10
jtrops
Unicyclist

It measures 2.9" across the knobbies. The tread is .15", or about 5/32". I don't have my Intense mounted right now, but I suspect that this Felt tire has a bit more volume, with less tread.

I should mention that this is on a stock Onza rim which is fairly narrow by modern standards.
Old 2009-08-01, 06:23 PM   #11
jtrops
Unicyclist

I've been riding MUni a lot the past couple of weeks, and I am liking this tire more and more. It is very dry in Colorado, so again I can't speak to the wet performance. On dry, loose and hard pack this tire is a great performer. I suspect it would be the perfect tire in Moab. Great through the loose sandy sections and grippy on the slickrock.

I hope to get a wider rim soon which should help me running lower pressure w/o folding the tire. The sidewall on this tire is as stiff and heavy as my Intense DH tire. So I'm sure that the wider rim will bring the tire (and me) up to a new level of performance.
Old 2009-08-01, 06:50 PM   #12
davidp
Unicyclist

Thanks for keeping this thread updated, Jerry. I'll be getting my first muni soon and am planning on swapping the Duro Leopard out for a Berm Master immediately. I'm thinking it'll make the transition to a 3" tire easier for me and that I'll save the Leopard for Winter riding.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 05:24 PM   #13
davidp
Unicyclist

I got my MUni and Berm Master this week and after getting the unused Duro off the rim (which took me about 20 minutes) I was able to weigh them. I came up with 3lbs 8oz for the Duro and 2lbs 12oz for the Berm Master.

Over the past few days I've done a little bit of riding on pavement, grass, sandy fire roads, and packed trails. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it rides on pavement - it rides smoothly and turns easily. It also handles loose sandy sections of the fire roads I've been riding very easily.
Old 2009-08-13, 05:29 PM   #14
kerosian
USMC

I'm interested in how the sidewalls compare.
Old 2009-08-13, 06:06 PM   #15
davidp
Unicyclist

I didn't make a point of comparing the sidewalls, but my impression while unmounting one and mounting the other was that the walls on the Duro seemed a little heavier and stiffer.

Tags
24x3, berm, felt, master, tire