Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-10-12, 12:41 PM   #1
JosephCampbell
Unicyclist

ISIS hub Product review.

Post any ISIS hub product reviews here.

I will start.

KH Moment
bent the Flanges ugly.
the KH drilled into the side of the hub is too excessive and weakens the flanges of the hub. It would be smarter to not drill any holes at all. bump up the weight very slightly but increase the strength significantly.

Koxx ISIS reinforced
bent the flanges too. Same thing, Koxx needs to drill smaller holes. Also, the flanges of the hub need be set wider like the KH or Nimbus hub. Unicycles put a lot of horizontal pressure on the wheel unlike bicycles.

ISIS is an industry standard of being very strong and flanges attached to ISIS hubs should be at the same level of strength for both KH and Koxx ISIS hubs.

Note: I am 150 pounds.

Last edited by JosephCampbell; 2008-10-12 at 12:44 PM.
JosephCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 12:52 PM   #2
JosephCampbell
Unicyclist

oh ya,
I could see there being strength in having the flanges of unicycle hubs angled in to begin with.
But I dont know the logistics of this manufacturing process.
Old 2008-10-12, 12:58 PM   #3
Smilymarco
just call me similymarco

Send a message via ICQ to Smilymarco Send a message via MSN to Smilymarco
Nimbus ISIS:

Never had any problems with it, little holes in the flange, nothing bend.

KH ISIS:

Same problem as you had.

Koxx ISIS:

Had no problems with the hub, only with the cranks (bend after one drop)

KH TI ISIS:

No problems so far, smaller cutouts at the flange.
Old 2008-10-12, 01:47 PM   #4
agentQ
Sam Haber

Send a message via AIM to agentQ Send a message via MSN to agentQ
I have also had bending issues with the Moment hub. But who hasn't?
Never had any bending issued with my K1 reinforced.

I think I remember hearing, sometime ago, that the bending in the flanges was intentional. The purpose was to have just enough give so the spokes would snap less. My speculation says– that if this if true, its happening to a more extreme level than it should be. The biggest problem is that is bending so far that its allowing the metal to fatigue. Also making it a challenge to lace spokes through a bent hub. Bending it back will only fatigue the metal further.

Whats up with Street and Flat?
the Unicycle Lab

Last edited by agentQ; 2008-10-12 at 01:48 PM.
agentQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 09:11 AM   #5
bouin-bouin
Didier

Bearing problems on KH moment and QU-AX ISIS, the tighetening of the bearing on the axis can be lost and bearing move against cranks with hight mechanical noise ! I had it on 3 of my 4 bearings (with KH and QU-AX hubs) ! The solution is to use special glue for bearings but if you don't repair it very quickly, your axis is marked and weared, so there is no tighetening any more ...... It could be useful to use sleeve between hub and cranks in order to avoid crank/frame contact, but in this case the sleeve should be a litle bit shorter than the clearance in order to allow the correct crank fixation on the ISIS groove of the hub.

Kris HOLM told me that is due to poor QU-AX bearing quality and that's why now he is doing his own bearings (green plastic sealing instead of blue for QU-AX bearing used by KH up to 2007 models).

I'm not sure it's only a problem of bearing quality, what's your experience and opinion ?

Cheers.
my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)
bouin-bouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 01:54 PM   #6
Jeremy R
onceuponatimetherewasaper son

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy R
Quax Yellow- virtually indestructable, heavy. 48 holes could annoy some of you, laceable to less rims. I weigh 110 and im pretty rough on it, but it holds great. Correct me if Im wrong, unbroken.
Jeremy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 04:15 PM   #7
colin340
colin340

best hub ever torker square-taper

jk
nimbus are pretty good hubs

i've taken 3+ drops and i'm 250lbs

Last edited by colin340; 2008-10-13 at 04:16 PM.
colin340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 04:33 PM   #8
OneWheelLess
weather is a fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCampbell View Post
oh ya,
I could see there being strength in having the flanges of unicycle hubs angled in to begin with.
But I dont know the logistics of this manufacturing process.
It shouldn't be difficult to manufacture, unfortunately no one has done it yet. The straight flanges are not a big problem w/ larger diameter wheels, however on a trials wheel the spokes are on a much steeper angle. It is unfortunate that unicycle technology isn't progressing as fast as the sport itself. For istance, the T7 handle looks like something fabricated as a one-off in someones basement. It should have been improved after the first run. (Sorry for the rant, this stuff is not hard to build)
Old 2008-10-18, 04:35 PM   #9
surfer1024
Zachary Wenner

Send a message via Skype™ to surfer1024
I'll be seeing how my 08 kh moment hub holds up (the black one). It doesn't look any different besides the color.
Street 2011
surfer1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-18, 11:33 PM   #10
Jeremy R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelLess View Post
It shouldn't be difficult to manufacture, unfortunately no one has done it yet. The straight flanges are not a big problem w/ larger diameter wheels, however on a trials wheel the spokes are on a much steeper angle. It is unfortunate that unicycle technology isn't progressing as fast as the sport itself. For istance, the T7 handle looks like something fabricated as a one-off in someones basement. It should have been improved after the first run. (Sorry for the rant, this stuff is not hard to build)
I agree 100% The basic hub design has been the same since the Schwinn! its time to step our game up. I think Koxx is the most similar to a modern bike, but still. I mean you'd think we'd at least use CF frames by now on higher end models. And also to the fact that their are only about 10 unicycle specific tires! And those are mainly for cokers. Then theres the tryall sticky, originally for bikes. We need our own, UNIque components for our unicycles. I think KH is going in the right direction with revoloutionary type products, sym cranks, rollo disks, etc. Even if the sym cranks may seem a little lacking overall, they will develop and change the face of the sport. So what if there are goods and bads, unless we demand it it ain't gonna happen. So I ask you, who read this, email Kris, Yoggi, Darren, Roger, etc, and say what you think could change our sport. And you never know, it might get made, it might make new tricks, drops, hops, and speeds possible, just give it a shot.
Old 2008-10-20, 01:22 AM   #11
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
I agree 100% The basic hub design has been the same since the Schwinn! its time to step our game up. I think Koxx is the most similar to a modern bike, but still. I mean you'd think we'd at least use CF frames by now on higher end models. And also to the fact that their are only about 10 unicycle specific tires! And those are mainly for cokers. Then theres the tryall sticky, originally for bikes. We need our own, UNIque components for our unicycles. I think KH is going in the right direction with revoloutionary type products, sym cranks, rollo disks, etc. Even if the sym cranks may seem a little lacking overall, they will develop and change the face of the sport. So what if there are goods and bads, unless we demand it it ain't gonna happen. So I ask you, who read this, email Kris, Yoggi, Darren, Roger, etc, and say what you think could change our sport. And you never know, it might get made, it might make new tricks, drops, hops, and speeds possible, just give it a shot.

CF frames arent good. Very brittle. Smash it onto a rock, and it will be over very soon. Same with CF seatposts. A somewhat large hop or drop will crush it.

I think we are doing fine for right now. Kris is testing those cranks, so it at least shows him and others are still putting money into innovation that may fail or work.

We have moved to ISIS a while back. A lot of parts are coming out that is specified to one style. Titanium hub options, geared hub options. 36" aluminum frames.

Compared to bikes, we will probably never have as much as they do. There isnt as much demand, there isnt as many riders or money coming in to be able to throw around a lot of stuff. We are going slow and steady right now, and thats fine for me. There isnt too much going on that is putting a huge demand on making new parts and uni specific parts.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 02:08 AM   #12
XCcrev
Learning Crankflips

Unicycling will, I think, always be a minority sport with not a huge consumer base for expansion of products. The reason skateboarding, bmx and other extreme type sports have taken off so quickly is that one can quickly jump on a bike or skateboard and ride it and learn tricks. Many people dont have the patience to try to learn how to unicycle much less have any desire to do tricks on it.
XCcrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 02:10 AM   #13
Jeremy R

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCcrev View Post
Unicycling will, I think, always be a minority sport with not a huge consumer base for expansion of products. The reason skateboarding, bmx and other extreme type sports have taken off so quickly is that one can quickly jump on a bike or skateboard and ride it and learn tricks. Many people dont have the patience to try to learn how to unicycle much less have any desire to do tricks on it.
I wish they did
Old 2008-10-29, 04:07 AM   #14
SHAY_CAM
Live life for yourself, no other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCcrev View Post
Yeeeaahh, not true. Riding bikes may seem easy to you, but i rode for 2 years and i know alot about it. Bikes are just more visualy better to people, because they dont take unicycling seriously.
Old 2008-10-29, 06:41 AM   #15
skrobo
jumps stuff

Send a message via AIM to skrobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
I agree 100% The basic hub design has been the same since the Schwinn! its time to step our game up.
i disagree.
i see the hub design that we use now as very reasonable, we tried the keyway thing, but it doesn't work for high end unicycles(obviously, way too many loose keyways, even some on the profiles)
and why go w/ something new when the bike industry has already developed some powerful stuff, there are similarities between us and bikers, figure that out and you'll realize that ISIS hubs are awesome, and that bent flanges account for almost NO change at the wheel, we're talking a 170mm hypotenuse to 40mm +- about 2mm side...

really... just adjust your tension a little.
when they break off you can cry about it.
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hub, isis, product, review