Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-01-15, 07:56 PM   #61
monocyclism
Ride the Road

A Life in the Day of a Senior Unicyclist :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olduniman View Post
It would be great to find out how many mature unicyclists are active these days and to learn something about their challenges and achievements.
The name's Bond......Geoff Bond

I can usually hang quite a lot on that intro However now and again I have to reveal my true self and thats the purpose of this post.

Yup, I'm a beginner and started to unicycle last November after buying a 24" learner. I kind of got enthusiastic about recording progress and made videos of the first six hours. If you would like to see them go here:

http://uk.youtube.com/user/monocyclism

After that I submitted a video to the recent, 'A Day in the Life of a Unicyclist' on unicyclist.com and was very gratified to get some good feedback - and a little recognition. The theory is - video needs to be entertaining and the 'silver-screen' helps 'normal' people to become.....Presidents of countries, ordinary people to become celebrities and beginners to appear better than they actually are - hence my video, 'A Day in the Life of a Unicyclist'! that can be seen here is you didn't get it the first time:

Well folks, I have to say, there weren't many submissions to the competition from the 'mature crowd'. Were where you all? At present I am liaising with my idol Terry 'Unigeezer' Peterson and he is helping me with plans for another proposed movie entitled, 'A week in the Life of a Senior Unicyclist'.

Being 'mature' I have a semi-responsible attitude to getting things right .I am really interested to invite all seniors to seriously consider entering the 'competition' and I should put the details online by the weekend (GMT). Well!!! forget the definition of 'competition' thats just an excuse for a party - and the party is a celebration of what each of us is doing in our unicycling-lives.

As mentioned, full details are to follow, but the form of presentation is likely to be broad - so an organised show of photos may be as acceptable as a video. Depends on your skills, depends on your knowledge - but mostly depends on what you have done and are doing in unicycling.

To finish for now, my latest thrill is the imminent purchase of a 36er - because they exist Yup, I just have to experience the thrill of a 'high' ride. I am signed up to a local charity ride here in Wales. UK in March and intend to do it on the 'big wheel'

Hope my intro hasn't been too silly. You know how it is guys, When you get to our age you kinda don't worry about making a fool of yourself
monocyclism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 08:13 PM   #62
Into the blue
Groovy!

Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyclism View Post
I am signed up to a local charity ride here in Wales. UK in March and intend to do it on the 'big wheel'.
What's the ride?

Fancy some company?
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 09:21 PM   #63
monocyclism
Ride the Road

That's not a hill....it's Mount Snowden (3560ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue View Post
What's the ride?

Fancy some company?
Hey 'Mr Blue' - nice to hear from you!!.
The ride is based on public roads in North Wales roughly in the Mount Snowden area - quite 'hilly', and as you know Snowden is the highest mountain peak in Wales Apparently there is a challenging downhill section - whatever that means However that doesn't stop one-wheelers eh? It is an annual non-competitive event for charity and apparently lasts anything up to 2 or 3 hours for recreational bi-cyclers. I have a work colleague connected with organising it and still need to get full details of the course etc from him.

I was planning to organise some sort of support vehicle for myself - drinks food etc. Also I am keen to video it as well as take other opportunities like getting the local newspaper to photograph the looney on the one-wheel After all, one has to do ones bit in promoting the healthy exercise of unicycling

Where are you based - North / Mid / South Wales? In the first instance I could send you some info if you like.

Cheers
Bond...
Old 2009-01-15, 09:47 PM   #64
Into the blue
Groovy!

Send a message via AIM to Into the blue Send a message via MSN to Into the blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyclism View Post
as you know Snowden is the highest mountain peak in Wales Apparently there is a challenging downhill section - whatever that means
I know exactly what you mean.

Feel free to PM me the details and I'll get back to you if I can join you.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.
Into the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 10:09 PM   #65
monocyclism
Ride the Road

Think I christen my unicycle Hanibal for this event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into the blue View Post
I know exactly what you mean.

Feel free to PM me the details and I'll get back to you if I can join you.
Brilliant! What a laugh in the photo's and very appropriate I'll be in touch soon.
Old 2009-01-18, 01:21 PM   #66
Sanne.Kj
Giv blod - donate blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by olduniman View Post
BTW, are there any women out there who might join in??
I'm only 51, I hope you don't mind! I begun riding 2½ years ago, after that my family was in Switzerland to the Unicon 13. My (now ex-)husband and my two sons (at that time 13 and 15 years old) participated in different competitions, and I was looking at them and all the others ...

It all looked very funny, so I decided to learn to ride to be able to participate in Unicon 14, which was held in Denmark, where I live (very practically.) My personnal best result was to make the 10 km run without UPD's. I became no. 16 of 26, and as the age group for that competition was 18+, I find my placement rather satisfying.

I have a freestyle uni and a trials uni. I train once a week indoors in a club, where I rigth now try to hop, idle and ride backwards. Once a week I'm outdoors trying some very very easy downhill things. (Well, for others they would be easy. Not for me. )

Allthough I'm not that good, I find unicykling really fun - and I'm sure it is good for your back and your general well-being.

My sons and I have talked about participating in the Unicon 15 in New Zealand. It will be a lot of money, but I hope it will be possible. It would also be a nice holiday where we could do something in common.

Best Regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 03:10 PM   #67
olduniman
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne.Kj View Post
I'm only 51, I hope you don't mind!
No, not at all, glad to have you. You are doing very well. Level 2 is impressive since it means mounting with either left or right foot. A thing that is beyond me I fear.
olduniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 02:51 PM   #68
Sanne.Kj
Giv blod - donate blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by olduniman
You are doing very well.
Thank you!

Quote:
Level 2 is impressive since it means mounting with either left or right foot. A thing that is beyond me I fear.
Well, in fact I don't use my weak foot very much after I got level 2 - normally I just use my best foot it's the most easy ...

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 01:10 PM   #69
BurnerDave
Unicyclist

This past week has been the first time I've been outdoors for a few rides since the end of winter. I can't believe how much stamina I've lost over the winter! The first day I was pooped after only 15 minutes on my 29" ! Tell me it ain't so! So starting yesterday, I'm going out for a short lunchtime ride and a ride after work, switching between the 24" and the 29" too just for fun. My stamina is coming back slowly ... but ... jeez... I feel like I should have a portable defibrillator with me!

edit: btw Monocyclism, those are great videos.

Last edited by BurnerDave; 2009-04-16 at 01:12 PM.
BurnerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 06:48 PM   #70
Wheel Rider
From the Over 50 Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnerDave View Post
This past week has been the first time I've been outdoors for a few rides since the end of winter. I can't believe how much stamina I've lost over the winter!
One of our members (Memphis Mud) calls it winteritis of the legs. Amazing how fast it sets in.

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease. - Voltaire
Wheel Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 06:59 PM   #71
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Whew! I'll be 50 in August. Good to know I don't qualify as mature yet. I'm enjoying my five weeks so far.
mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 01:08 AM   #72
trickcyclist
Unicyclist

I am 55, almost 56, and have a full four weeks of experience as a unicyclist. Here's my vid.
trickcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 03:34 AM   #73
Chrashing
O>OO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcyclist View Post
I am 55, almost 56, and have a full four weeks of experience as a unicyclist. Here's my vid.
YouTube - Susan learns to Uni M
WOW WOW WOW Susan you are so brave to learn to unicycle at 55. Congratulations, you learned so quickly. Your video is great. Nice rolling. You are my hero.

Unicycles are flying machines!

24", 28", 32", and 36" KH frame based mutts.
26" inexpensive travel.

Last edited by Chrashing; 2009-04-17 at 03:35 AM.
Chrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 10:13 PM   #74
Unibugg

Quote:
YouTube - Susan learns to Uni M
Susan, that was great! I can't wait to show my classes on Monday. I love showing them new unicyclist vids that show what patience and persistance can bring! You'll be a hero to 40 fifth graders in Florida next week. They'll love the little snow in the vid too. An extra bonus for us.

Happy Riding,

Bug
Unibugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 10:32 PM   #75
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Quote:
It's so great to see so many people over 50 learning to uni! I love it. Btw, I'll be 55 in less than 2 years, but I still won't consider myself "mature" as the thread title states, lol!

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, calling, mature, senior, unicyclists