Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-08, 04:41 PM   #6136
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Seriously, Australia and New Zealand have a lot going on, I'd move there in a heart beat. As for the UK, nothing personal, but I wouldn't move there for money or love, sorry guys.
Have you visited Aus, NZ or the UK? Personally I have (obviously I live in one!) and I'd very happily move to either of Aus or NZ - though with a very strong preference for NZ. However there are some things I'd certainly miss about here - the history we have for one (I suppose if you're not used to having that you might not miss it so much). We're also a slightly unusual group on this forum as we appreciate outdoor stuff a lot more - many people can't wait to escape NZ or Aus and love living in London which has lots of things they don't have there (personally I've lived in London and hated it!) I guess things may have changed a bit in NZ since I was last there 12 years ago, but in some ways it had a very behind the times and old fashioned feel.

You may be right in your preferences, but the UK really isn't so bad if you choose the right bit - really quite nice round here. Even for you it also has the advantage of easy travel to lots of other European countries, whilst visiting anywhere else from NZ is a 3+ hour flight away.

I don't think I'd want to move to the US though, so no offence taken

Last edited by aracer; 2012-05-08 at 04:42 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 06:58 PM   #6137
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
You may be right in your preferences, but the UK really isn't so bad if you choose the right bit - really quite nice round here. Even for you it also has the advantage of easy travel to lots of other European countries, whilst visiting anywhere else from NZ is a 3+ hour flight away.
I have not been to the UK, but have been close by, did a lot of world traveling before I got married and had kids, looking forward to doing more in a couple years. I understand that every place has it's pros and cons, I have lived overseas in Spain and West Africa, as well as on both the sides of the USA, high alpine, high desert, northern rainforest, subtropical rainforest, mediterranean climes, desert island, etc...

What I find to be ideal is a place that is close to nature, both the people and the geography. In the states this can be a challenge as not all populations feel the same about nature, esp in the Southeast USA where fast food and TV seem to be more important. It looks like I'll be going back to the West, either Oregon or Utah.

This discussion did get me thinking about moving outside the USA, but the problem is with employment; I'm a Nurse Practitioner and my wife is in school to be a Nurse Practitioner. This "role" is not as common outside the USA, so jobs are hard to find; I did a quick search and found none in NZ or AUS

There are certainly some places in Europe that call to me

There is a place I call "home", a place I share a history with cutural and geographically, so even if I don't like my country's politics and I find certain aspects of my country to be less than ideal, it is hard to be away from home for too long. But I can always take sabbaticals

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2012-05-08 at 07:02 PM.
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 11:43 PM   #6138
Dartmech
Unicyclist

New Nimbus! Whoop!'
The only complaint I have is the packing. Every Uni I've bought (this the first one from UDC) has just had the wheel flopping around. One of the KH cranks was almost poking through the box on this one and got scared up BUT it'll get scratched before too long. I'm super happy with it and can't wait to get it all dirty!
Attached Images

Dartmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 01:35 AM   #6139
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

Wisconsin Can Be Beautiful Too...

I went out for 15 miles tonight on the Coker, as a result of a beautiful, mild evening that I didn't have to work on for once. Naturally, like most normal teenage boys, I decided to go for a unicycle ride in my spare time Here's some pictures.

Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 12:28 PM   #6140
SalManilla
Peddle Pushing Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmech View Post
New Nimbus! Whoop!'
The only complaint I have is the packing. Every Uni I've bought (this the first one from UDC) has just had the wheel flopping around. One of the KH cranks was almost poking through the box on this one and got scared up BUT it'll get scratched before too long. I'm super happy with it and can't wait to get it all dirty!
Congratulations on the new uni. I went with the green and kh cranks as well.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:59 PM   #6141
Dartmech
Unicyclist

She did great today!
Dartmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 02:07 AM   #6142
mbalmer
Is it June yet?

Scorcher yesterday and mildly hot today.
Heat + hill climbs + menopause = a hard workout.

mbalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 06:18 PM   #6143
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

from my todays ride. on the first pic on the window of the cable car is written: it doesn't need much to be happy, but who is happy is a king
Attached Images

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 07:15 PM   #6144
Tucson Uni
Andy

Wow, full arm and chest armor and a helmet with a chin guard. Full Combat!
Old 2012-05-10, 07:20 PM   #6145
turtle
Seniorenklasse!

yes, when i do downhill only, with my schlumpf wheel set, i prefer being protected everywhere...

I trust in those:

Triton

Mountainuni Brake System

Schlumpf
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 07:31 PM   #6146
Tucson Uni
Andy

Good idea. So far my knees have borne the brunt of Schlumpf related incidents. On the 24, accidental downshifts are responsible for most of my troubles. I did hit the pavement falling off of my 36 guni while riding past a college women running team. Guess I was a bit distracted. Slid on my hands, knees, and chest. Rubbed the zipper off of my jacket, and my ribs were sore for a few weeks.
Old 2012-05-10, 08:11 PM   #6147
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
Guess I was a bit distracted.
I'd pay for that video, and the looks, classic!

Old Lecher
Old 2012-05-12, 08:12 PM   #6148
davidp
Unicyclist

Got out for a nice 7 miler this morning on the 36". Due to recent rains there were some pretty wet areas and I was glad to have a fender. This was the first time I brought my compact tripod along and tried to get some decent self-timer pictures. Most of the pictures took multiple tries for each shot and broke up the flow of the ride so I don't think it's something I'd want to do every time out.

davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 03:43 PM   #6149
Alucard
Unicyclist

Nice piccies guys.

This one was taken this morning. I went along to Rhyl. Did spend a while walking as I was a bit wobbly with my freemounts. But had a lovely ride

Name:  13052012193.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  47.4 KB
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 07:31 PM   #6150
Monsieur K
French troll

not me but a crazy friend, during the french Beret Baguette fixed gear ride
It was a really funny time, people reactions were amazing
29" KH muni

Riding by and for CDK
Monsieur K is offline   Reply With Quote