Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-09-03, 08:18 PM   #5296
madc-ccc
Unicyclist

Just back from holidays in Tunisia!

One week ago I came back from 2 weeks in Tunisia (Jerba island).

As usual, I had a unicycle with me - in fact, a KH26 Guni, that I had also with me last year during my 2010 Summer holidays, which very advantageously replaced the ungeared KH29 that I was taking with me in the plane previously.

Sorry if the picture is not very fancy... my digital camera was almost dead (it now is ) when I took the picture, and the day was almost over with still 6~7 miles to go.

During another ride, I got lost in the "labyrinthic" sandy paths which the island of Jerba is mostly made of, and I needed the help of a few local people to find my way out.
I ended up having to ride 6 miles on the road in the total dark (well, I'm glad the moon was there to light my way a -very- little), in low gear of course, which eventually proved to be an interesting experience and something I will definitely remember!
The best moment during this night ride was when a guy on a motorcycle, riding the same road as me but in the opposite direction, came in my direction with also no light at all: not sure he saw or heard me, but on my end I knew for sure he was there thanks to... the noise of the engine... all the rest being... dark black!

Cheers, MadC.
madc-ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 03:09 AM   #5297
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

A few recent pics...

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 07:29 AM   #5298
Lutz
einradshows.de

Not my last trip but the one with the best pictures. In july i crossed the alps together with steffi and david. you can see much more pictures in my blog http://lutzeichholz.de/free-solo-ons...le-alpencross/
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-04, 08:10 AM   #5299
Pagee
"Anyone can ride two wheels"

Pimp my ride

my daughter surprised me for fathers day
Attached Images

Pagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 06:34 PM   #5300
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by madc-ccc View Post
...I had to stop every 10 kilometers starting from the 60th kilometer (before that, I had stopped once, at kilometer #30).
Congratulations on your metric century! Part of your problem may have been from not stopping enough earlier. I completed an old-school century in June, and probably stopped at least once every 10 miles. Let the circulation go and I think it helps you last longer.
Quote:
...I would have felt less discomfort with the KH Fusion Street (Slim?) saddle, vs the Freeride model I used. Any advice/feedback on that?
With saddles, I think the only way to know what works for you is to try it. It's a very personal thing. I used the Freeride with the channel down the center, and it works very well for me.
Quote:
More surprisingly, I also felt some discomfort at feet level, as if they were like "dead" (not enough irrigated with blood) - if you see what I mean.
I used to experience that when I was training for Ride The Lobster. Lots of miles, at high speed, and working on speed instead of distance may have been a factor. I had to loosen the laces in my 5-10s so they didn't squeeze my feet quite so much. My century ride was done at a more comfortable pace, and my feet never bothered me.

I did learn a technique to keep the circulation flowing without stopping. If you curl and uncurl your toes for at least 30 seconds in a row, it seems to last a while after that. Or try making your shoe laces looser.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 06:35 PM   #5301
aspenmike
unicycling albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Not my last trip but the one with the best pictures. In july i crossed the alps together with steffi and david. you can see much more pictures in my blog http://lutzeichholz.de/free-solo-ons...le-alpencross/
Fantastic adventure!
aspenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 12:53 AM   #5302
mexico7
Unicyclist

practiced some flat today. was working on rolling wraps. ended up doing a foot grab my accident and landing it

70cm high jump (rolling)
225cm long jump (rolling)
mexico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 05:47 PM   #5303
joe
The Social Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to joe
Edd posted up a pic, but here's a couple more from Morzine with Steve, Roger and Edd:

Les Crosets Panoramic

Joe,
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 07:36 PM   #5304
DavidHood
Cokering rails2trails asphalt

We do this ride every Memorial and Labor day. I have already done a small write-up in this thread. The 15 mile route changed this time. Instead of going from Slugger Field to Iroquois Park and back we went from Slugger Field to Shawnee Park and back traveling the "Police-Blocked-Off-Roads" parallel with one of the nicer existing portions of the Louisville Loop. The good news is I learned the road shortcut that replaces parts closed for erosion. All in all, another great day with 5,000 of our two wheeled brethren.

Those who know me well might ask "Did you ride your new 36" GUni?" to which I would sadly (not that my back-up ride is so bad) have to reply...No! I opted (so nice to finally have a stable) for the shorter cranks of my un-geared Impulse. The reasons being, still waiting on a brake (not that I would have needed it on the flats of downtown) and (the real truth of the matter) I can't yet (Rome was not built in a day) ride in high gear well enough to use it in big events. My Schlumpf is still confined to the neighborhood and my local park.

Last edited by DavidHood; 2011-09-05 at 07:40 PM.
DavidHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-06, 04:26 AM   #5305
AEV D.
4 Paletten!!!

I found a great Trialsplayground at the coast of Monery Bay in Pazific Grove last Saturday.
Here are some pictures of my favourite line. Don't know why I didn't take a picture of the end.
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-07, 09:55 PM   #5306
discuni
Unicyclist

monday holiday

Name:  p_00047.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  313.9 KB
discuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 08:59 PM   #5307
madc-ccc
Unicyclist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Congratulations on your metric century! Part of your problem may have been from not stopping enough earlier. I completed an old-school century in June, and probably stopped at least once every 10 miles. Let the circulation go and I think it helps you last longer.
With saddles, I think the only way to know what works for you is to try it. It's a very personal thing. I used the Freeride with the channel down the center, and it works very well for me.
I used to experience that when I was training for Ride The Lobster. Lots of miles, at high speed, and working on speed instead of distance may have been a factor. I had to loosen the laces in my 5-10s so they didn't squeeze my feet quite so much. My century ride was done at a more comfortable pace, and my feet never bothered me.

I did learn a technique to keep the circulation flowing without stopping. If you curl and uncurl your toes for at least 30 seconds in a row, it seems to last a while after that. Or try making your shoe laces looser.
Thanks John for these precious advices!

I will definitely remember these ones when I will do my next metric centric ride... especially that I should stop early to not feel too much pain later on, and that I should try lacing in a more loosely way my shoes.

Actually, after years of solo or duo rides down here in Grenoble/France, 6 riders are going to meet for the first time on Saturday and hopefully one or two will be ready to join me for a century ride some time during Fall!

Cheers, MadC.
madc-ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 10:30 PM   #5308
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Name:  round.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  62.7 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2011-09-08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2011-09-09, 01:42 AM   #5309
MuniAddict
Not "2" Tired

Just shot these on this evening's ride, as it was getting dark. These pics are as is, no effects added. Sometimes the pic itself is all the effects it needs!

Btw, these were taken at 12 megapixels, so the originals are big enough for poster size! I'm using the second one for my desktop wallpaper.

Name:  pvg3sm.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  pvgsm.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  80.2 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2011-09-09, 03:24 AM   #5310
aspenmike