Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-05-14, 09:01 PM   #1
semach.the.monkey
RTL #1 - Team Goonies

The Ultimate Touring Unicycle? Nearly!

A few weeks ago there was a thread asking what was the ultimate unicycle. Well, I think this is about as close to the answer as I'm going to get for a while.
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus Supreme 28 x 2.0 tyre
  • Schwalbe 19a Tube
  • KH rim
  • Original Schlumpf geared hub
  • Pro Wheel / Qu-Ax 127mm cranks
  • Welgo MG1 magnesium pedals
  • Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes (water filled)
  • Triton Sponge custom made frame
  • KH seat clamp
  • Thompson Elite seat post
  • T7 handle
  • Nimbus gel saddle
  • Wilson grip tape bar covering

Name:  DSC_1646.JPG
Views: 4396
Size:  236.2 KB

What could I change to improve it? (Apart from the rider!!!) Well, the KH-Schlumpf hub might be stronger, but it's heavier, and for touring it doesn't need to be any stronger. There's not enough of a choice of ISIS cranks yet to make it worth while changing for that either.

I have a carbon fibre based KH Freeride seat, which could shave a bit of weight. However, I don't find it as comfortable as the Nimbus for long journeys.

The biggest improvement would be from a Ti version of the T7. I think the T7 is a fantastic addition to any touring/commuting unicycle, but have to admit, it is bloody heavy. If Triton had been able to make one of those, it would have just tipped it off.

So, if this was your uni, what would you change? (Anyone that says the carpet or curtains will be disqualified!)

STM
semach.the.monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 09:09 PM   #2
1-wheeled-grape
Scott

Send a message via MSN to 1-wheeled-grape
Quote:
Originally Posted by semach.the.monkey
Attachment 26690
(Anyone that says the carpet or curtains will be disqualified!)

STM
the skirting board hehe. A titanium t7 would be cool, and stronger, because a lot of t7s have broken, and in similar places too. is there a way you could make a nimbus seat with a carbon fibre base? or does the top need to be stapled on? everyone should make removable covers, theyre so much better.
Old 2008-05-14, 09:52 PM   #3
unisk8r
One Wheel Wander

semach, what does water in the brake line do better than the magura oil?
unisk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 09:58 PM   #4
chuckaeronut
Lover of Geared 36ers!

Send a message via AIM to chuckaeronut
Hey, that's a beautiful uni you have there! I love the frame and seatpost. I'm also looking for an HS33 (or two) for my KH36 and hopefully future KH24... Hmm, what would I change?? Wow, I dont' think I'd change anything! Good setup! I should add some of your stuff to MY uni!

BTW, how much did you pay for your HS 33? I'm currently looking for HS 22s and 33s on eBay, and, after searching online in bunches of places, find myself thinking that $40-50 US per brake is a good deal. Is this too much? I don't know where I'd find them any cheaper...
Old 2008-05-14, 10:19 PM   #5
semach.the.monkey
RTL #1 - Team Goonies

1-wheeled-grape, yes, you can put a CF base on any saddle, although most you do have to staple, or find some other way to attach them. My base seems to be a bit wider than the foam though, so isn't ideal.

Unisk8r, it does the same as the Magura Blood, except it's cheaper and easier to refill from anywhere in the world. As far as I can work out, the only downside is in sub-zero temperatures where it could freeze. (and possibly down some really steep hills on the sun where it might boil )

chuckaeronut, Those ones actually came off of my Red Devil muni (although I had to replace the hoses), but my previous set from eBay that I had on my N36 were about £15 ($30) inc delivery. They weren't the prettiest pair of second hand maggies around, but they worked just fine.

STM
Old 2008-05-14, 10:26 PM   #6
chuckaeronut
Lover of Geared 36ers!

Send a message via AIM to chuckaeronut
This may be a stupid question, but are you sure there are no steel or otherwise rustable parts that the water may corrode? Or... is it all plastic-lined inside the hose? The thought of using water sounds great!

And... re: the prices, I'll do my best! Thanks.
Old 2008-05-14, 10:30 PM   #7
semach.the.monkey
RTL #1 - Team Goonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckaeronut
This may be a stupid question, but are you sure there are no steel or otherwise rustable parts that the water may corrode? Or... is it all plastic-lined inside the hose? The thought of using water sounds great!
In all honesty - I'm not sure. However, I've read several threads in here (cba to search now though) that say trials riders swear by water, and lots of links to trials riders forums to back it up. It may be that in a couple of years time I'll be eating my words (or tarmac) but I'm prepared to give it a go.

STM
Old 2008-05-14, 10:43 PM   #8
Denali
Unicyclist

Looks awesome!

After looking at all the types of trips I want to do, I've realized that I want a geared 20", 24", 29" and 36". I have 3 non-geared uni now but for the 29" geared the one you have would be the way to go (except I prefer not having a brake and this might change once a ride more with a geared hub).
Sweet!
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 10:46 PM   #9
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Hmm....nice Uni STM! I have one just like it.

I spoke to Dmitry at the time about making a Ti handle. It's doable, I just didnt' get around to emailing him the specs. I would have made a lower down handle than the T-7, but if Triton was still producing it would have been easy to do a few runs once I've perfected the handle I was happy with. I spoke to him about seat-bases too...but the thing is that Ti probably won't work any better than other materials for flat objects.

The only thing I'd change is the MG-1s. It's the lightest platform pedal out there, but I hate them. It feels like your standing on nothing. Gimme my Snafus anyday!

Good to see the carpet matching the curtains.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 11:01 PM   #10
innes
Unicyclist

Nice Uni.

That has to be the most customised unicycle I have seen on the forum. It would be worth getting a custom T7 made for it, with a set up like that you could justify the price I think.

Good luck with RTL.

Innes
innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 11:28 PM   #11
legtod2
Unicyclist

You have "the dream unicycle" period

In my humble opinion, you have "The dream unicycle" (Frame, hub, rim, and brakes). Best of all it's a 29".

If I were to start from scratch and say money is no object that would be it except id change (tire, seat, pedals)

Nano Rapture tire
KH Fusion freeride seat
Snafu pedals
Vetta cyclometer computer

You are a lucky person. Its definately a keeper.
Old 2008-05-14, 11:39 PM   #12
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDuck
...The only thing I'd change is the MG-1s. It's the lightest platform pedal out there, but I hate them. It feels like your standing on nothing. Gimme my Snafus anyday!
Why not put in some longer pins? I've had to do that on all of my pedals.

Wah Wah - My next pedal.
Low profile and light 478 g, $79 MSRP.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2008-05-14 at 11:39 PM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 11:40 PM   #13
lpounds
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to lpounds
Loving the 29er Semach. I'd have to say this is pretty close to the ultimate touring machine for me as well.

The only thing that might make the uni more practical/lighter for me, would be a handle that mounts on the four bolts under the seat. Something like Corbin's set-up (not sure if his mounts there, but it is definetely more practical in terms of the amount of metal used.)

Sweeeeeet build!

lpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 11:59 PM   #14
corbin
Treehouse Muni Rider

Send a message via AIM to corbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by semach.the.monkey
So, if this was your uni, what would you change? (Anyone that says the carpet or curtains will be disqualified!)

STM
I would want the KH hub (well, it is what I have!); I've twisted/bent too many square tapered cranks.

I also would want it in the 36" size. A 29"er isn't the ideal touring machine, even geared. (IMHO). More often than not, you'll find yourself in the high gear. The lower gear is only good for really steep stuff. But, that's just my opinion!

corbin
corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 01:01 AM   #15
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin
I would want the KH hub (well, it is what I have!); I've twisted/bent too many square tapered cranks.

I also would want it in the 36" size. A 29"er isn't the ideal touring machine, even geared. (IMHO). More often than not, you'll find yourself in the high gear. The lower gear is only good for really steep stuff. But, that's just my opinion!

corbin
I think the 29er is a better touring machine, because it's a lot easier to travel with or ship. Nice setup, certainly.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
touring, ultimate, unicycle