Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-03-19, 12:59 AM   #31
wickedbob

Nobody reallly breaks the kh frame unless they ride flat.
wickedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 01:22 AM   #32
zfreak220
Polska Możność

...or your initials are JH and your name rhymes with hoe jodges.
zfreak220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 01:23 AM   #33
wickedbob

Ok, besides him and a few other cases.
wickedbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 01:36 AM   #34
mornish
magic

Send a message via ICQ to mornish Send a message via AIM to mornish Send a message via MSN to mornish Send a message via Skype™ to mornish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAY_CAM
The rim is drilled and aluminum. the max hight for a jump on a KH drilled is 6 feet.also aluminum is The frame . nimbus frame is made of steel (chromoly)
yes, the rim on the nimbus is aluminum too.

Aluminum frames are quite strong, arguably stronger than steel ones.

I have done 7' drops on my drilled kh rim, it's still fine...
mornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 02:09 AM   #35
Jerrick
King of Carnies

Send a message via MSN to Jerrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mornish
yes, the rim on the nimbus is aluminum too.

Aluminum frames are quite strong, arguably stronger than steel ones.

I have done 7' drops on my drilled kh rim, it's still fine...
I have done bigger, and my rim is still good. I dont like it though, cause comparing it to the undrilled rim, it goes out of true way too easily, and compared to the Alex DX, it just kinda seems flimsy.

Its still good, but I find myself trueing it a lot more than I ever had to with any other rim of mine.

Anyways, for trials, I like 140s, or 137s. I ride with my seat pretty high, so the length doesnt affect my speed or how smoothly I can pedal, but if I ride my friends Qu-Ax (145mm cranks) with his seat set as low as he has it, it feels very sluggish.

Ive done trials for years with 125s, and less q-factor, and it was ok. Somewhat zippy, but not bad.

When I switch over to the Qu-Ax 145s, or Profiles, which both have a higher q-factor, I love them. My stance is a bit wider, so my balance feels a lot better, specially on natural lines and when doing anything with a skinny.

My main ride now is the KH trials with 137 cranks. I still can zip around just as well as I did with my 125s, and they have a higher q-factor, so I get the wider stance on them and I love that. For me, 137s-145s are the best for trials.

Spoke wise, I dont think id ever go down to 32. I ride kinda big, and most of the time can rollout on drops, but a lot of lines wind up with me doing a 5 foot drop (or bigger) landing to a ledge, and if I rolled on the landing, id go into a bush, or fall of a bigger drop with an awkward pedal position.

So combining a 32 spoked hub to a mag rim, I dont think that would last for me too long.

So far my favorite has been the 48h Alex DX32 rim. That thing was so stable. Wasnt the widest rim, but that wasnt ever a problem for me. Im happy riding a 36h rim right now, and that holds nicely for me too, but not quite as well as the 48. Once I get a non-drilled 36h rim, im sure it will be closer to th 48h setup I used to ride.
~Jerrick
Jerrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, crank, length or spoke, trials