Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-05-17, 05:27 PM   #31
cathwood
Life's a beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark williamson
If anything, I think the Freeride is actually narrower than the Nimbus Gel I ride on my other unis; I think this actually negates the comfort of the centre gutter somewhat, since I'm less well supported either side of it. You've tried both, right? What did you think?
The flatterness (if there is such a word) and the centre gutter both make the freeride more comfortable to ride than the nimbus gel. I didn't notice it being narrower.
Old 2007-05-17, 07:07 PM   #32
tholub
Totally Doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn
No where did I say that I had experience riding as a woman.
Yes there are differences between men and women and transgendered and hermaphrodites or whatever but I feel that there is more in common therefore we can all help each other! Recently I visited a female Urologist. Is she not qualified to help me just because she is not a man? There are also many male Gynocologists. Are they not qualified? I would jump at th echance of being a woman for say a week or a month. Maybe then I would gain some usefull insight on how to better deal with my wife and female colleagues!
I'm pretty sure urologists and gynecologists gain their qualifications by spending many years in school studying anatomy, rather than by making unfounded assertions on internet message boards.
tholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 07:38 PM   #33
mscalisi
Unicyclist

I have both and I'm pretty sure the freeride is more narrow, and i think its narrowness also contributes to its comfort (reduces thigh chafing) I feel stongly that it's the most comfortable off-the-shelf uni seat made. It helps to have a rail adaptor to angle it backwards.

Just my (male) 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathwood
The flatterness (if there is such a word) and the centre gutter both make the freeride more comfortable to ride than the nimbus gel. I didn't notice it being narrower.

Last edited by mscalisi; 2007-05-17 at 07:40 PM.
mscalisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 06:03 AM   #34
Erin
wheeler

After reading through the recent posts in this thread I just wanted to add a few more 2 cents worth to my original post....

In terms of seats... I prefer the old style KH, flat. Tipped up really seems to put a lot of pressure on the front of my crotch and as well, its true as has been discussed here, that the seat does not seem quite wide enough for the sits bones to the rear. So good old cushy, deep and curved KH just plain flat seems to be the best combo so far.

As for riding apparral, I can't say the riding in jeans has ever worked for me. The big thick seam right in the middle of the crotch could have something to do with the immediate discomfort I feel in jeans not to mention how they bind at the hip and knees. Cycling shorts, the ones designed for women, actually do seem to have the padding in the right places - far enough to the rear and far enough to the front. Imagine that, a piece of sports wear that actually works for who and what its been designed for!

Underwear, I can't see how a thin bit of material up your butt would be more comfortable than no underwear at all! Nope, I'll stick to my original KH, on which I will gently place my women's cycle short, sans underwear, clad crotch. Add to that the T 7 allowing me more options in terms of shifting my weight on the seat while riding and I'm good to go for a 30 - 50 km day.
Old 2007-05-18, 08:29 AM   #35
cathwood
Life's a beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
After reading through the recent posts in this thread I just wanted to add a few more 2 cents worth to my original post....

In terms of seats... I prefer the old style KH, flat. Tipped up really seems to put a lot of pressure on the front of my crotch and as well, its true as has been discussed here, that the seat does not seem quite wide enough for the sits bones to the rear. So good old cushy, deep and curved KH just plain flat seems to be the best combo so far.
That's really interesting.

So far, for those that have expressed a preference (Erin & me) we prefer our seats not tipped up due to squashing. This is contrary to mens' experience expressed in other threads where it seems to be more comfortable for men to have the front of the saddle tipped up.

Based on this clear and uncontested evidence, this blows unicon's hypothesis that what's good for men is good for women because we all started off the same in the womb, out of the water . (Although I must say that I tried out his suggestion of standing up on the peddals for 20 seconds or so every five minutes and did feel more comfortable in the crotch area although my knees weren't particulary enamoured with it).
Old 2007-05-18, 04:18 PM   #36
Erin
wheeler

Quote:
That's really interesting.

So far, for those that have expressed a preference (Erin & me) we prefer our seats not tipped up due to squashing. This is contrary to mens' experience expressed in other threads where it seems to be more comfortable for men to have the front of the saddle tipped up.

Based on this clear and uncontested evidence, this blows unicon's hypothesis that what's good for men is good for women because we all started off the same in the womb, out of the water . (Although I must say that I tried out his suggestion of standing up on the peddals for 20 seconds or so every five minutes and did feel more comfortable in the crotch area although my knees weren't particulary enamoured with it).
Once the ride gets beyond 10 km without any dismounts I find I start to put some weight on my touring handle so that I can shift my weight onto the rear of the seat more thus taking some of the pressure off of my genitals and more onto my sit bones. I find this much easier than actually doing the slight-stand-up pedalling technique that you mentioned Cath which I agree can be hard on the knees and seems to require more effort than its worth. However I do wonder how it would feel if the seat was slightly wider at the rear to begin with thus perhaps allowing more of a sit bone sit, as it were, all of the time.

On my two wheeler I am using a 'ladies' Brooks leather saddle and have been for over 20 years now. I think there is definitely something to be said for the wider saddle which takes into consideration the dimensions of the female pelvis.

I find that theres a wonderful groove or zone that can be gotten into after 10 km's or so of continuous riding and my goal this year was to find a way to be able to stay in that groove comfortably for as long as possible. In the past, crotch discomfort forced me to dismount and walk a bit after 10 km or so. After a lot of experimentation with seat angles, different KH seats, handles and cycling clothes I have arrived at the best combo so far making it possible to put in a 40 or 50 km day ride towards the end of which it is my quads that start to give out before my crotch. Now if there was just some way to extend the life of my quads.....
Old 2007-05-18, 04:50 PM   #37
pkittle
NorCal Riding Project

Quote:
This is contrary to mens' experience expressed in other threads where it seems to be more comfortable for men to have the front of the saddle tipped up.
I tried the very-high-front saddle position for a ride, and hated it. Now all my unis (I'm male, btw) are about a half-inch higher in front than rear. I'll echo that the numbness issue Cath mentions is non gender-specific, but as I mostly muni, it doesn't come into play much (I must UPD at least once every five minutes, and in between am standing up while negotiating rocks, etc.). When a riding buddy and I were doing some hill training on pavement, I discovered that the Freeride saddle I liked so much on muni rides became painful very quickly.

I think it would be great if you could have the chance to experiment with different foam cut-out designs to try to find one that fit your anatomy better than the ones currently on the market. Good luck!
--Billy Bragg

==========================
pkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 04:58 PM   #38
slugbath
Unicyclist

To add yet another XX experience, I also use women's spandex cycling shorts, no underwear, with nylon freeride shorts overtop. I don't have any pain in my butt bones from riding (perhaps I have a more substantial butt!), but I do tip the front of my seat up slightly, making the back of the saddle nearly parallel to the ground and creating more of a platform. In the evolution of my saddle tweaking, angling the seat, followed by the KH Freeride, followed by the acquisition of a handle, have all created the most comfortable seat combination for me yet. However, I have found no particular seat angle that significantly eases labial compression on long rides. As Podzol suggests, I just get off every once in a while, and have that lovely burning OW! moment as circulation reasserts itself.

So that is one vote for angling the front, Cathwood, but I have by no means found the ideal setup!
slugbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 05:22 PM   #39
ahollow
Unicyclist

I've found that a softer seat is not always the way to go.

My KH29 came with the Fusion Street seat, which is thinner padding than the Fusion Freeride on my KH24.

I actually like long rides on the Street seat; I've gone for hours with it with only a few stops during the ride, and don't feel any discomfort. I also wear biking shorts (Cannondale) and jeans or heavy shorts.

I guess it's all what you get used to, but experimenting helps.

Here's a thought; can the tube in an air seat be folded differently to give more width and padding in the rear for those needing or requesting it?
ahollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 07:20 PM   #40
gagtape
Unicyclist

Me!!!!!!!!

ME!!!!!!!

my goodness i agree

well the only thing i would recommend would be wearing a pair of tight shorts underneath i havent tried it but im going to soon,

hmmm

but thats mainly for rubbing i think,

errrr try padding out the seat a lil but only a smidgen cos it could affect your riding =]
gagtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 08:46 PM   #41
Beth
Unicyclist

Quote:
This is contrary to mens' experience expressed in other threads where it seems to be more comfortable for men to have the front of the saddle tipped up.
Just adding a female vote to seat-tipped up being good. On a long ride I start with it a bit down so that I can tip it up and appreciate the difference about half way through.

I find that good cycling shorts are a lot better than bad cycling shorts.

Why would anyone ever wear underwear with cycling shorts?
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 08:56 PM   #42
cathwood
Life's a beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth

I find that good cycling shorts are a lot better than bad cycling shorts.
I also find that it's quite difficult to get really good ones. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 2007-05-18, 10:10 PM   #43
Hannah K.
Unicyclist

Send a message via ICQ to Hannah K.
Quote:
I also find that it's quite difficult to get really good ones. Do you have any recommendations?
Do not waist your money on the expensive ones sold in sports shops, just go with the really cheap ones you can get like once a year in discount supermarkets like Aldi, Tschibo or Lidl as they cost onefifth of the price but are hundred times more comfortable
Though I don't really know how common Aldi is in the UK.

Hannah
Hannah K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 10:22 PM   #44
thejdw
elcycinu

Send a message via MSN to thejdw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah K.
Do not waist your money on the expensive ones sold in sports shops, just go with the really cheap ones you can get like once a year in discount supermarkets like Aldi, Tschibo or Lidl as they cost onefifth of the price but are hundred times more comfortable
Though I don't really know how common Aldi is in the UK.

Hannah
I've seen lidl's ones which look very similar to my nice expensive ones
Old 2007-05-18, 10:41 PM   #45
keg
RTL Team #56: The Old Peculiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejdw
I've seen lidl's ones which look very similar to my nice expensive ones
Trust me they don't feel as nice as more expensive ones. There are too many seams in the wrong places, the stitching rubs. These were from Lidl's however that doesn't mean the next stock won't be fine.

I actually wore mine tonight purely because I planned a very short ride and I wanted to see if I had changed my view - It hasn't.

Cathy - Unfortunately I found the only solution is trial and error as to which works well on an individual over time, the trouble is my favourite shorts are full of holes and I haven't found the same version since so I am still looking for new replacements.
keg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crotch, protection, women