Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-04-25, 11:05 AM   #16
unipsychler
Ride The Unicycle ~ A Crash Course!

Do you smell that...? This whole global warming thing smells kind of familiar. I know I've smelt that smell before but I can't quite place it and it's driving me crazy...Ah YES! I've got it! It has the familiar smell of Y2K all over again. Remember Y2K? Remember how scared the Y2K conspirators had us? Remember the BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars we spend and others made on the Y2K SCAM? I, for one, didn't buy into the Y2K scare but I do remember feeling a little anxious at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000 and what happened? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! NOT EVEN A LIGHTBULB FLICKER! THE NATIONAL POWER GRID DIDN'T COLLAPSE! RUSSIA'S NUCLEAR MISSLES DIDN'T LAUNCH! MY BANK ACCOUNT DIDN'T GET WIPED OUT! NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING! So the average temperature has risen 1/2 a degree over the last gazillion years. SO WHAT! These con men and women should be rounded up and put in jail just like the Y2K conspirators should have been.

Last edited by unipsychler; 2007-04-25 at 11:06 AM.
unipsychler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 11:28 AM   #17
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

It may be like the ozone issue from the early 90s... Dupont's patent on their cfc aerosol is about to run out, so let the propoganda engines roar to make legislators outlaw the stuff, so that competitors can't make it when it becomes patent free. Then come out with a CFC replacement, patent it, and claim another victory.

In any case, legalize industrial hemp so we can actually produce biofuels (ethanol, biogas) cost effectively, instead of having the illusion due to high corn farming subsidies.
Old 2007-04-25, 11:57 AM   #18
cool-bananas
Devlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unipsychler
Do you smell that...? This whole global warming thing smells kind of familiar. I know I've smelt that smell before but I can't quite place it and it's driving me crazy...Ah YES! I've got it! It has the familiar smell of Y2K all over again. Remember Y2K? Remember how scared the Y2K conspirators had us? Remember the BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars we spend and others made on the Y2K SCAM? I, for one, didn't buy into the Y2K scare but I do remember feeling a little anxious at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000 and what happened? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! NOT EVEN A LIGHTBULB FLICKER! THE NATIONAL POWER GRID DIDN'T COLLAPSE! RUSSIA'S NUCLEAR MISSLES DIDN'T LAUNCH! MY BANK ACCOUNT DIDN'T GET WIPED OUT! NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING! So the average temperature has risen 1/2 a degree over the last gazillion years. SO WHAT! These con men and women should be rounded up and put in jail just like the Y2K conspirators should have been.
you are joking me right? Global warming is real, it is here it is now and we need to do something to fix it. As it stands America and Australia havent ratified the kyoto protocol treaty and the Earth will suffer for it.
cool-bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 12:00 PM   #19
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-bananas
you are joking me right? Global warming is real, it is here it is now and we need to do something to fix it. As it stands America and Australia havent ratified the kyoto protocol treaty and the Earth will suffer for it.
Have you done your own research? Or do you believe everything the media tells you?
Old 2007-04-25, 12:15 PM   #20
Dr. Science
Because you NEED to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilby
It may be like the ozone issue from the early 90s... Dupont's patent on their cfc aerosol is about to run out, so let the propoganda engines roar to make legislators outlaw the stuff, so that competitors can't make it when it becomes patent free. Then come out with a CFC replacement, patent it, and claim another victory.
The Ozone issue that you are referring to goes back to the mid 1970s. Dupont and the other chemical manufacturers fought the research (that showed a potential problem) tooth and nail. There was a ban on the use of CFC in aerosol cans put in place in the US during that time. Only after the "ozone hole" over Antarctica was discovered in the early 1980s was there enough political will to act and the 1986 Montreal agreement was signed that phased out the use of CFCs for the rest of the world. The ozone hole has been gradually getting better and should be gone in a couple of decades, a timetable that was predicted by the computer models.

The whole issue: the science behind it and the poltical solutions instituted to solve the problem are a real sucess story. I wonder why people keep trying to discredit that.

Dr. Science
Dr. Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 12:18 PM   #21
cool-bananas
Devlin

Quote:
Have you done your own research? Or do you believe everything the media tells you?
I believe in science
cool-bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 12:33 PM   #22
unipsychler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-bananas
Buddy, you better turn off the evening news and get back to your video games. When you grow up you will have your chance to worry about global cooling or some other crisis like that.
Old 2007-04-25, 02:04 PM   #23
timbob1907
crankflips!!!?!!!

Send a message via AIM to timbob1907
Quote:
Buddy, you better turn off the evening news and get back to your video games. When you grow up you will have your chance to worry about global cooling or some other crisis like that.
thats what you want him to do only because hes listening to the right people. if he was like you and only played video games hed be as clueless as you. People learn things by being active not sitting around doing nothing.

The thing is though that there really was a Y2K problem. None of the computers that controlled things like bank accounts, electricity, and weapons had the date planned for 2000. If this had been left as is all the world wide computers could have crashed. Luckly though some people who actually know what they are talking about (unlike you) like the government foresaw the problem and had most if not all of the major computers fixed. Thats why there was no problem caused people realized it and made changes before it was too late. So basically your story of there being no Y2K crisis goes against your point and shows that we must fix global warming before it becomes to late to deal with it.
And another thing even though I dislike the president you would have to through him and almost everyone else in power in jail. Because everyone now excepts global warming as a fact. The world would no longer have any scientists to do research and we would make no progress.
People like you deserve to be thrown in jail for your lack of knowledge and assumption that every other person on this earth is against you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxusmaximus
It looks like some deranged mad-man going berserk with a heavy metal object.
(\_/)
O 0
(><)This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature, help him on his way to world domination.
CarbonFibreSeat!

Last edited by timbob1907; 2007-04-25 at 02:11 PM.
timbob1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 02:07 PM   #24
timbob1907
crankflips!!!?!!!

Quote:
The point isnt to believe everything the media tells you but to choose what. If someone who has been a climatology expert their whole life and has made other major contributions to society says that global warming is true I would believe them. Since you cannot do your own research and tests to prove global warming either way you have to listen to the people who can. And they have. Right now the only people who support the idea that global warming is not happening are oil and car companies. It might just be me but I would think that would be a tiny bit biased. The only other people who believe it are the people to stupid and ignorant to accept the truth and to scared to make a little change.
Quote:
(\_/)
O 0
(><)This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature, help him on his way to world domination.
CarbonFibreSeat!

Last edited by timbob1907; 2007-04-25 at 02:10 PM.
Old 2007-04-25, 02:09 PM   #25
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Quote:
Did you ever think that maybe the billions of dollars spent was why nothing went wrong on Y2K? Whether it would of had the money not been spent is a different matter. Also the two aren't terribly comparable, the earth's climate is a chaotic system completely out of our control, whereas the Y2K problem was a pretty simple one created by man. Also you tell a 16 year old to get back to his video game but rant like a spoiled child, it smacks terribly of someone who is running purely on the strength of their own convictions, rather than any logic or proof.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -

Last edited by kington99; 2007-04-25 at 02:12 PM.
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 02:13 PM   #26
timbob1907
crankflips!!!?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kington99
Did you ever think that maybe the billions of dollars spent was why nothing went wrong on Y2K? Whether it would of had the money not been spent is a different matter. Also the two aren't terribly comparable, the earth's climate is a chaotic system completely out of our control, whereas the Y2K problem was a pretty simple one created by man. Also you tell a 16 year old to get back to his video game but rant like a spoiled child, it smacks terribly of someone who is running purely on the strength of their own convictions, rather than any logic or proof.
Seriously. I think he expects that if we spent lots of money on it it should still go wrong. Like maybe a certain war thats being fought. Fortunately we had a different president befor Y2K.
Quote:
(\_/)
O 0
CarbonFibreSeat!
Old 2007-04-25, 02:39 PM   #27
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Science
Dupont and the other chemical manufacturers fought the research (that showed a potential problem) tooth and nail.
Exactly, until they had their new solution and their patent ran out in 1992. And I misstated above, it was their refrigerant freon, not an aerosol. In any case, they got their new refrigerant a monopoly to be used in every automobile AC, refrigerators, etc. The ozone issue, like global climate change, was a highly political issue, and that makes it where so called scientists can't be counted on because it is possible to fudge the numbers to support whatever side they happened to have been lured to.

Quote:
The ozone hole has been gradually getting better and should be gone in a couple of decades, a timetable that was predicted by the computer models.
Really? The hole hasn't gotten smaller since the 80s. Unless I'm reading the data wrong, 2006 ties for the biggest hole since 1979 when this data starts according to this from nasa:
Old 2007-04-25, 02:52 PM   #28
Gilby
Unicyclist.com Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbob1907
And another thing even though I dislike the president you would have to through him and almost everyone else in power in jail.
That'd be awesome! We don't need their corporatism and empire building. War is peace. Slavery is freedom.

Quote:
Because everyone now excepts global warming as a fact.
Yes it's a fact that there has been a slight increase to global warming. What the causes of it is is not a fact.

Humans? (that's what politicians want us to believe)
Hotter sun? (mars is warmer now too)
Regular cycles? (it's happened many times before)

Quote:
The world would no longer have any scientists to do research and we would make no progress.
B.S. Keep the scientists, lose the politicians.
Old 2007-04-25, 03:04 PM   #29
unipsychler

Quote:
Because everyone now excepts global warming as a fact.
Everyone? So far there's you, Cool-Bananas, Al Gore, and...oh yeah, Sheryl (One Square of TP) Crow.
Old 2007-04-25, 03:12 PM   #30
unipsychler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kington99
Also the two aren't terribly comparable, the earth's climate is a chaotic system completely out of our control, whereas the Y2K problem was a pretty simple one created by man.
I agree with you that the earth's climate is a chaotic system completely out of our control. This statement screams LOUD AND CLEAR that man is incapable of causing a global temperature increase and henceforth incapable of any change that would cause a decrease in global temperature.

Tags
conspiracy, global, liberal, warming