Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2006-12-26, 10:37 AM   #1
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Who here can ride with a full daypack on?

Just curious how feasable of an idea a unicycle would be for me as regular transportation. I can skateboard just fine while wearing a daypack with 30 lbs of stuff in it, but I pretty much stick to particular roads. If I rode a unicycle I could ride on more varied surfaces, but would I be able to do it while wearing my regular heavily loaded daypack?
Saul_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 11:58 AM   #2
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul_nova
Just curious how feasable of an idea a unicycle would be for me as regular transportation. I can skateboard just fine while wearing a daypack with 30 lbs of stuff in it, but I pretty much stick to particular roads. If I rode a unicycle I could ride on more varied surfaces, but would I be able to do it while wearing my regular heavily loaded daypack?
You can (I have), but the more weight pressing down on the seat, the more likely your groin will hurt from the pressure.

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 12:27 PM   #3
Hazmat
Too insane to be considered human.

Quote:

What excatly do you have that makes it weigh 30 lbs?? In any case try to balance the weight of your bag with your own if that makes sense . Unless you get one of these. It looks cool plus it matches a unicycle with a skateboard which you said you could do very well. Hoped that help. http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shop...?catalogid=758

Take care and welcome to unicyclist.com my friend.
Hazmat

Can't wait till this game is finally released.
Hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 04:37 PM   #4
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

A messenger bag works great for uni-commuting. You have to use the stabilizer chest strap.
Old 2006-12-26, 05:56 PM   #5
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
I prefer a backpack w/ chest and waist straps.

I rode once w/ 30-35 lbs. and it was exhausting. Now I usually keep it under 15 but try to keep it under 10, that way I can still ride really challenging terrain.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 07:18 PM   #6
ntappin
Ask me about the Ottawa unicyclists

Send a message via MSN to ntappin
Once you get used to riding enough you will be able to ride with anything you can walk with.

Over the summer I went riding about 10 km with a Hockey bag full of tools and clothes and stuff. It doesn't sound to bad but because I had also kept my unicycle in it on the trip there, then everything was all out of wack and I had to ride with it half over my shoulder so that it wouldn't rub my tire or the ground or get in the way of me pedaling.

During high school I used to ride with a full backpack full of books aswell, and I have generaly ridden a fair amount of times with other odd pack arrangements, just ride alot and you will get used to it.
ntappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 07:23 PM   #7
thayr
thayrharris.com

Send a message via AIM to thayr
I would commute about 6 miles on my 26" w/ a small daypack, carrying wallet, water, snacks, jacket, bikelock...I don't think it weighed more then 15 lbs.

One day I wore my large backback and loaded it with 50+ lbs of groceries and rode home about 1-2 miles... it was bloody hard and totally wore me out.

I think it's important to have compression straps on whatever bag you use, as a loose swinging bag makes the riding harder, esp. if it's a heavier bag.

Also, I've ridden hugging a full 5-gallon water container, large bag of laundry, and given someone a piggyback ride (not all at the same time).

5 pounds hangin' is 10 pounds a'swingin'

Last edited by thayr; 2006-12-26 at 07:26 PM.
thayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 07:44 PM   #8
BluntRM
The Technology

Quote:
Usually, if the pack is full, I'll ride with it around my front to keep the weight centered. Otherwise it's not hard to wear it proper, but you have to compensate for the displacement.

Do you know of any other NoVA riders? There's a couple on the RVA ride thread and I'm in the area sometimes, visiting family, but not very often. If you're interested in a Northern VA Muni ride, definitely post and we can work out some details.
BluntRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 08:54 PM   #9
madmattunipro
Off Balance Unicyclist

It's possible to ride with a pack, but you absolutely need one with a chest and waist strap, otherwise the pack's bouncing will really hurt your hopping, and the swaying of the pack can throw you off balance. I ride a lot with a small pack for water, tools etc, but I don't normally go up to the 30 lb range. It would probably be fine for road or XC type riding, but 30lbs is defintily to much for anything technical.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 09:03 PM   #10
TheBadger587
HSG/DH MUni (Represent?)

Send a message via AIM to TheBadger587
Wearing any sort of backpack while unicycling is completely impossible.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 09:24 PM   #11
musketman
Unicyclist

I ride with my huge Camelbak (HOG I think it is), just fine. It weighs quite a bit, but If you strap it on tight its OK. If I see a spot I want to do some trials I take it off, then put it back on and keep movin down the trail.

kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long...
musketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 02:56 AM   #12
Saul_nova
Unicyclist

Great! Itís good to know that I can keep active during daily routines even if my life changes to where I canít depend on nice pavement. Thanks for the helpful replies.
(skate-cycle: thumbsdown)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyo
You can (I have), but the more weight pressing down on the seat, the more likely your groin will hurt from the pressure.
Hmmmm. With bikes, that problem happens to people who have their seat either straight or sloping forwards. The solution in that situation is to angle the seat so that itís sloping at least slightly backwards. I wonder if that could solve the problem when it happens to a unicycler. If you couldnít tell before, I donít yet have a unicycle, so I donít yet know where oneís weight has to be. But if it can be toward the back of the seat, it might relieve that particular discomfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntRM
Do you know of any other NoVA riders? There's a couple on the RVA ride thread and I'm in the area sometimes, visiting family, but not very often. If you're interested in a Northern VA Muni ride, definitely post and we can work out some details.
I know that there are some on these forums, but I, myself, havena broken free of the extra wheel(s), yet. I probably wouldnít be ready for MUni for quite some time. Thanks for the info, though.
Saul_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 03:11 AM   #13
SNES350
Unicyclist

Many people who find unicycle seats uncomfortable also angle their seat's fronts upwards, using a bicycle-type seatpost and a rails adapter to tilt the seat. Most unicycle seatposts have the seat at a set angle and cannot be easily changed.
SNES350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 04:11 AM   #14
bungeejoe
J Myers

Load up your day pack and go!

Don't let others fool you. Carrying a day pack is not a big deal. I have commuted regularly (200+ days this year) with day packs on my unicycles. For part of August and September I commuted regularly on my 5 foot giraffe and carried my gear in an old cheep day pack for a few weeks. Up until November I never used a pack which had chest or waist straps. Some times with thirty or more pounds for a load. Even a couple of days the wind gust have been 50+ mph (makes for a tough work out but a fun challenge to try). Once you get use to riding with a pack it becomes no big deal. The biggest problem is during the summer getting rid of the heat and sweat buildup under the pack and straps.

I now use a new commuter pack from Banjo Brothers that work great.

http://penncycle.com/itemdetails.cfm...Id=39&id=12563

It does have chest and waist straps and they come in handy. But I got tired of trying to keep things dry and upgraded to the Banjo Brothers pack. I have used it for about two months and really like it. The liner is removable if you want to cut down on weight when itís dry out. At this time of the year all my commute is in the dark. This pack has places to hang flashing lights and a couple of good reflective strips. Make one highly visible to others.

Got mine at:
http://www.corvalliscyclery.com
bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 08:22 AM   #15
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

Quote:
Thirty pounds is a lot of weight...do you really carry that around in a DAY pack? I can spend a full week in the Utah wilderness with a pack that weighs 40 pounds, and that includes shelter, warmth, food, and booze.

Keep your packing under control, and you should be able to ride no problem. The heaviest pack I've ever had on a uni was probably for one of the Moab munifests, where I had a camelbak with a full bladder, plus a couple of bottles of gatorade, food for the day, emergency tools and tube, etc. With all that stuff, I doubt it was more than 15 pounds.

Tags
daypack, full, ride