Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-02-06, 10:41 PM   #1
polyphonic Hippie
I have sensitive knees

Send a message via MSN to polyphonic Hippie
Prolems with KH 20" Trials only 1 week old

Ok 1 week ago i invested in a Kh 20" trials from unicycle.com i had been saving to buy since i started unicycling just over a year ago.
I gave it its first real session over the weekend and noticed a little metalic click comming from the cranks
So i gave it a full service checking everything twice, with no result.
the senario is; pedals horizontal to ground i apply a little pressure to the cranks and CLICK! then nothing, silence i could bounce on it all day in the same position and it wouldnt make a sound...... But rotate the cranks 180 and apply a little pressure and CLICK!
I have had this problem with cheaper unis bought off ebay before and though i would elimate the problem by buying a uni with a splined hub i was sick of replacing cotterless cranks and hubs, which is what encouraged me to save for a Kris Holm. Im not what you would call an advanced rider the biggest drops i would be doing are no more than 2 feet so im not exactly abusing it so whats going on

sorry for rambling on but this has realy disheartened me and now i have to contact unicycle.com to see what they will do
polyphonic Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 01:27 AM   #2
carsonpalooza
Unicyclist

don't worry, this happens to all new unicycles. The wheel is adjusting and after a while(a week or 2) it will go away.

Last edited by carsonpalooza; 2006-02-07 at 01:27 AM.
carsonpalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 04:25 AM   #3
trials2k
Live and Die Trials

Send a message via MSN to trials2k
ahahaha its so funny coz this exact same thing happened to me, and i got the spokes tightened becoz i thought it was them loosenin up, but that didnt help so udc aus took it back then sed that it just had a creaky bearing so they replaced it. and it was silent for about 2 weeks, but they sed if it keeps then it could be a defected hub, so they will replace it if the noise persists,

the noise is coming back, so i will probly get them to fix it soon, but i hate not being able to ride, due to not having my kh with me lol

either its the spokes and wheel expanding, which causes a creaky noise, which will dissapear or its the same problem as me
But no matter what the problem is, if the kh breaks then udc will replace it free of charge!!
Old 2006-02-07, 06:13 PM   #4
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
check the bearing holders.
Old 2006-02-07, 10:11 PM   #5
polyphonic Hippie
I have sensitive knees

I gave it a complete overhaul today regreasing everything and changing the pedals just it case...it worked ....... the creak stopped for a while but now its back

beginning to think the spokes might need tightening and i dont have a spoke key so im gonna take it to my LBS 2morrow and get him to adjust the spokes

and if all else fails UDC will fix it for me and im gonna have to use my old one for a while
my old one sucks its a 24" Torker frame with a cheap 20" Ebay wheelset
Old 2006-02-08, 12:20 AM   #6
new_unicycler
trial biker& unicycler

Send a message via MSN to new_unicycler
its happining to me also but would it be the wheel or cranks getting but i have and old pair of cranks i think i'm not sure what they are but i have some werid pedals i think my buddy stole em off a jamican bike but they work ok for a starter but ya so should i take it in or just keep riding like polyphonic hippie?
new_unicycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 08:20 AM   #7
Goatman!
^-#-^ Sean Webster

Send a message via AIM to Goatman!
the same thing happened to my kh and my friend's kh 24. what the clicking was in mine was the hub was made just slightly too big for the axle. this kind of thing happens to splined hubs. not often, but sometimes. what unicycle.com did to fix mine is they took back the wheel, hammered out the axle and stuck some super strong epoxy on the keys in the axle. then they hammered it back in, and sent me back the wheel. click free.

Last edited by Goatman!; 2006-02-08 at 08:21 AM.
Goatman! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 09:14 AM   #8
munimanpete
the unicycling kiwi

I also just got a new KH05 and mine creaks too. Dont worry about it, it will go away with time as the unicycle gets a little more worn in. I highly doubt it is anything serious at all. My old KH cranks creaked for a while and like you I wall really worried etc, but after you've been ridin for a while it goes away as the cranks get worn in. So just ride it more and it will go away!
munimanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 07:20 PM   #9
Fuego
Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Send a message via AIM to Fuego Send a message via MSN to Fuego
mine is creaking, but it's the pedals. I'm pretty sure I broke them, so I'm just living with it for now.
Being back is good.
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 09:09 PM   #10
musketman
Unicyclist

hehe Iam begining to think all KH's creak! Mine creaked for like 4or 5 days, then i tightend the spokes, regreased the cranks(the axle was bone dry by the way) and the creaking noise went away.... Horray!!
musketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 02:08 AM   #11
KcTheAcy
Ohh Baby

It doesnt matter at all, mine creaked a ton on drops. Like made 20 poping noises. Pretend its your back and you can scare people. If i dosent go away, tighten the spokes all the same amount. Remember if you are using a spoke wrench turning it left tightens it because you are on the other side of the threads.

Last edited by KcTheAcy; 2006-02-12 at 02:10 AM.
KcTheAcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 11:31 PM   #12
polyphonic Hippie
I have sensitive knees

Sent it back to UDC and they cant find anything wrong with it
So there going to test it for a few days to see if the creak comes back
Knowing my luck it will reappear the day i get it back

Its only been gone a few days and i miss it already my old uni just aint the same
Old 2006-02-13, 02:52 AM   #13
refuze
forsale KH20 w/jim c pedals $400.00

Send a message via AIM to refuze
im still waiing for my KH to come in the first place i cant wait!!!i ordered it like 2 weeks ago it should be here any day now!!!
Old 2006-02-14, 08:51 AM   #14
max_pfeifer
balls of steel

grease the cranks and tighten them heaps. the creaking wil stop. when it comes back regrease and tighten some more. thats what i do on my kh05 and i works great.

its interesting how unis are silent on 5 foot drops but greak when idleing (im sure thats not how you spell it )
even if you win, you're still retarded.
max_pfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 11:00 AM   #15
trials2k
Live and Die Trials

Send a message via MSN to trials2k
i have finally gathered the time and energy to open up my kh,

i completely opened her up and found the right side of the axle was dry and other parts had grit and old scummy grease on it... it wasnt a pretty sight!!!

i cleaned off all dirt and excess grease, and regreased her and tightened evrything and put her back togetha tight and greased!!

and she now rides like a brand new uni!!!

no creaking at all

what i got from this experience: after evry 20 or so decent rides or wen ur kh starts creaking, open her up and clean evrything and regrease and tighten the cranks and axle!!! sure does help alot

Tags
prolems with kh 20, trials, week