Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2006-01-26, 06:16 PM   #1
terrybigwheel
South Bay Uni-Sykos

Send a message via AIM to terrybigwheel
Camelbak "classic" or "Mule"?

I found a website, http://worldfootbag.com/catalog2/show/941, which has THE LOWEST prices on Camelbak hyration packs that I've seen...and I've looked all over the net. Anyway, I would like to get advice on WHICH pack to get for Moab, keeping in mind that I will most likely be riding either the "novice" or "backenders" trails(s). I'm leaning towards the Classic, pictured below in black/gray, because it would probably fit snugger and more ergonomically against my back. The Mule (also pictured) does carry 100 oz. (30 oz. more than clasic), but seems more cumbersome. The Moab videos also seem to show a lot on riders with the Classic, or similar sized pack. Thoughts? The website has an 800 number for support and phone orders, and the classic is only $32.95, the Mule is $59.95...way less than the $80 on other sites. And these are both 2006 models!
Attached Images

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through.
terrybigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:27 PM   #2
forrestunifreak
is in college. and on magazines.

Send a message via AIM to forrestunifreak Send a message via MSN to forrestunifreak Send a message via Skype™ to forrestunifreak
Well there is a big difference between the two.... The MULE is pretty big but the classic might not be large enough... if you can find it, maybe one in-between size would be best, otherwise I think the Classic would work, but you might need an extra little bottle of water in the pocket.

Mine is about the same size as the Classic, and holds 70 oz., but what I do is stick a second 'bladder' half full in with the first. A bladder costs $8-12.

Last edited by forrestunifreak; 2006-01-26 at 06:29 PM.
forrestunifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:36 PM   #3
terrybigwheel
South Bay Uni-Sykos

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestunifreak
Mine is about the same size as the Classic, and holds 70 oz., but what I do is stick a second 'bladder' half full in with the first. A bladder costs $8-12.
I like that idea! Gonna call the guy back and ask if the classic will have room for an extra bladder. thanks

Old 2006-01-26, 06:41 PM   #4
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I have a Mule. I outgrew my original, smaller Camelbak. When my Mule gets old, I'll probably replace it with something with a bit more cargo space. The amount of water it holds is just right for me. Remember, a large bladder doesn't need to be completely filled for every ride!

Also, for a place like Moab, smart riders will also be carrying tools, food, and probably a jacket. You'll want these on your back as well. My jacket gets stuffed into the elastic straps on the back of my Mule.

I also wear a fanny pack/butt bag, which I don't necessarily recommend because there seems to be a social stigma about wearing one. But it's a convenient holder for my camera, cell phone, and some other stuff. It works for me.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:59 PM   #5
trials_uni
Trials and Muni Rider!

sort of a thread jack but terry, what with the onslaught of moab questions? theres still like 2 months left unitl the event. you cant possibly need that much time to prepare. unless of course your bringing everything needed for every rider there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheMountain
Hey thanks! The unicycle community needs more people like you, willing to out Bike Suprematists and stand up for the rights of unicyclists!
I'm puttiing you in for an Award at NAUCC!
trials_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 07:47 PM   #6
terrybigwheel
South Bay Uni-Sykos

Quote:
Originally Posted by trials_uni
sort of a thread jack but terry, what with the onslaught of moab questions? theres still like 2 months left unitl the event. you cant possibly need that much time to prepare. unless of course your bringing everything needed for every rider there.
First off, this particular question is not necessarily for moab, but I wanted to get the something NOW for my prep rides, and I wanted to call on the combined wisdom of this forum, since so many have BEEN to moab, and so far most have been very forthcoming, friendly and helpful. Secondly, with all the, frankly STUPID, worthless, childish and MEANINGLESS, and OFF TOPIC threads, I thought my questions (look at my posts and you will see a diversity of topics) would be welcome, especially since I am a newbie too this sport, and have appreciated the help and advice thus far. But no worries, if I have any more "MOAB" questions, I will direct them privately to those who are happy to help. I am not being "defensive", just want to say thanks for all the help thus far. Signing off for now.

Old 2006-01-26, 08:22 PM   #7
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybigwheel
...with all the, frankly STUPID, worthless, childish and MEANINGLESS, and OFF TOPIC threads, I thought my questions (look at my posts and you will see a diversity of topics) would be welcome...
Here here. Plus, adding "Moab" to a thread topic seems to make it cooler. Even cooler than "MUni Weekend."

I'll add this though, after all these threads you'd better show up in Moab! None of that lame "Oh, my job schedule changed" "I got fired" "I broke my leg" or those other lame excuses.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 09:17 PM   #8
tomblackwood
Tailgate at your own risk...

It's all about the Mule man, but you knew that in your heart before you asked the question.
Old 2006-01-26, 09:28 PM   #9
entropy
Dropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybigwheel
[...]Anyway, I would like to get advice on WHICH pack to get for Moab, keeping in mind that I will most likely be riding either the "novice" or "backenders" trails(s). I'm leaning towards the Classic, pictured below in black/gray, because it would probably fit snugger and more ergonomically against my back. The Mule (also pictured) does carry 100 oz. (30 oz. more than clasic), but seems more cumbersome.
I happen to have both, and have ridden with both. I also recommend the Mule.

The "classic" has almost zero cargo space, and has just the single cross-chest strap. The "Mule" has a lot more space to carry cargo, and has straps that cross both the chest and the stomach, which in my opinion makes it more stable. And like John Foss said, If you're on a short ride, you don't have to fill the "Mule" bladder all the way up.

The first time I rode in Santa Barbara (on Tunnel Trail) I used the "classic" and ran out of food and water half way to the bottom. Never again.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 09:32 PM   #10
carsonpalooza
Unicyclist

I would definitely go for the mule. I have been looking at camelbaks recently and I like the Blowfish a bit more than the mule mainly because of the design and that it holds more. It also helps to go to a local store that has them and try them on so you get to see how they feel.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
carsonpalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 09:58 PM   #11
Seager
I had a thing in here one time!

Send a message via AIM to Seager
Mule for sure. The cargo space is a must and 70oz isn't enough. I have a 72oz rocket and I had to strap an extra nalgene bottle to it to so I'd have enough water, and that was riding during november when it wasn't that hot.
Seager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 10:01 PM   #12
fexnix
I got infinite skillz

Send a message via MSN to fexnix
I have this

It has a small pocket for small stuff. If you have a thin jacket i guess you could put that in there too.
Old 2006-01-27, 12:37 AM   #13
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.

Send a message via MSN to Loosemoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by trials_uni
I would assume Moab to be a lot tougher and more demanding in both riding, weather conditions and overall harshness than any of the Mt. Snowdon rides I've done, and I trained for those (although not exclusively, I went out on a 3+ hr Muni ride twice a week) for about a month. I'd prefer to hear of someone taking it more seriously, finding it easy and having a great time, rather than someone underestimating thier ability, and going underprepared and under equipped. With our help we can both make him feel more competent about riding Moab, and make him enjoy himself more and not hold others up. Besides, spending money on unicycling is heaps of fun anyway.

Loose.

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink Floyd
Loosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 01:40 AM   #14
jpcycler
Always learning

I started with a Mule, but upgraded to Blowfish for more cargo space. Same 100 oz bladder, but more room for tools, food, jacket, camera, etc. Or, more space for a second bladder too, or water bottle. Since it's "expandable", you can always keep the expansion zipper zipped and that makes it smaller. The weight difference is inconsequential to me compared to having what I want along.

I like the Mule for rides that don't require much "stuff", just water and a couple of tools. For anything like Moab, I'd go bigger for sure.

My $.02.

Jerry
jpcycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 02:35 AM   #15
ntappin
Ask me about the Ottawa unicyclists

Send a message via MSN to ntappin
How are these in terms of hopping? Do they bounce around? How secure is the bladder inside the bag?

I am thinking of getting a pack like these for street riding so that I can keep liquid with me and maybe a couple of granola bars or something of the sort but I'm worried about it bouncing around.
ntappin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camelbak, classic, mule