Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 2005-05-30, 02:39 PM   #46
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
my last official rating was 'Really Crap But Has A Lot Of Fun Playing'
i used to play for the school team
there were 5 spaces on the team and just about 5 of us who could dress ourselves and wanted to play

i recently bought a kasparov chess computer and love playing during ad-breaks while watching TV
i also play some online games
chiefly against SOFA, who regularly kicks my butt
i'm holding my own in the current game and am up 7points at the moment
now if i can just hang in there and not do anything stupid, i should have him
(touch wood)
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 03:06 PM   #47
UniTyler
Unicyclist

This thread is the SATAN THREAD!!!
Attached Images

UniTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 03:16 PM   #48
MERCYME
Polution kills!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tylercox
This thread is the SATAN THREAD!!!
Tyler you are the only one who would notice that...
Old 2005-05-30, 06:30 PM   #49
kington99
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to kington99
Returning to the previous subject, i found Vova and Olga to be more 'human' than expected, when not working (they were doing a professional show at the convention) they seemed perfectly normal, and joined in with all the games on the sunday (and won most of them) just for fun. They were just like any other two kids there, not atall like some of the 'automata' i see in the world of academia, who seem to have no past-times, interests or personalities outside of their studies. I find it incredible how some parents will permeanently damage their children by pushing them so hard to be the best at something, that drive should come from within, but i suppose the parents just want to get their fifteen minutes and bask in the success of their child.

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -

Last edited by kington99; 2005-05-30 at 06:31 PM.
kington99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 07:38 PM   #50
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.

Send a message via MSN to Loosemoose
On a similar 'Doting Parents' and chess based vien, I watched a great program on BBC2 last night (very late) called storyville, I think its a regular thing. This one was about Kasparov vs. IBM's Deep Blue, and one comment made by a member of the IBM team struck me as odd.

This was Kasparovs 1st defeat in competition I think (in 30 odd years) and they mentioned something about his mothers reaction, that as they left the hall after the 6th game she stood up and sarcastically clapped right in front of thier faces, almost hitting them. Now that strikes me as odd for several reasons, 1 being that usually the parents aren't all that bothered, its about the taking part and so on, and the competitor is usually the one angry about it. In this situation it was reversed, so does that mean that Kasparov's mother pushed him into being this good at chess? Her frankly childish reaction to the defeat, as well as her actual presence there (It was in america, a not insignificant distance to travel for a single chess game) Makes me think he was probably forced into it by overly doting or fame hungry parents.

Loose.

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink Floyd
Loosemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 11:57 PM   #51
arcane
Jabbering Jibberish?

Send a message via MSN to arcane Send a message via Yahoo to arcane
I play chess a little bit, and parents that push their kids too hard bug me. I was lucky enough to have great parents.

By the way this is my first post.
arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 04:21 AM   #52
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Loosemoose
Now that strikes me as odd for several reasons, 1 being that usually the parents aren't all that bothered, its about the taking part and so on, and the competitor is usually the one angry about it.
What an interesting perspective! Unfortunately you have probably led a rather sheltered life in that regard. When it comes to kids "competitions," we have an expression for it here in the states; either "little league parents" or "stage parents."

These are parents who, though not necessarily more motivated than the child, act way too over-the-top about things, like apparently Kasparov's mom did. They tend to have not a shred of objectivity about things, as their child can do no wrong. Also they often tend to push their kids beyond the level that the kids may want for themselves.

We have plenty of them at the unicycle competitions. Eww. This is not the Olympics. This is not something that will change their future. Calm down already and *let the kid learn the meaning of sport!* Which is, do your best, have fun, and may the best competitor win, even if it's not you.

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 05:47 AM   #53
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally posted by kington99
Returning to the previous subject, i found Vova and Olga to be more 'human' than expected, when not working (they were doing a professional show at the convention) they seemed perfectly normal, and joined in with all the games on the sunday (and won most of them) just for fun. They were just like any other two kids there, not atall like some of the 'automata' i see in the world of academia, who seem to have no past-times, interests or personalities outside of their studies.
They can unicycle too. That makes them normal.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 09:13 AM   #54
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Quote:
Originally posted by Loosemoose
a not insignificant distance to travel for a single chess game
that was not just 'a single chess game'...

but i see your point
i understand the phenomenon of stage-, little league- or sideline (beating up on the coach or the opposing team's parents)-parents

but when your kid is reigning world chess grand master, u should allow yourself to chill out
really, what's left to achieve?

maybe she's just bitter cause she's not bobby fischer's mom...
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 11:05 AM   #55
kington99
Unicyclist

Yes the pushy parent syndrome does seem to be more prevalent in the US, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen over here, for some reason swimming is particularly bad for this. Apparently some people use unicycle coaches to improve their riding (according to a friend of mine and her experience at a convention), this seems like paying someone to play computer games for you so you can say you've completed them, surely the fun is in the learning and working things out for yourself? Not that i'm saying any of us are above a helping shove in the right direction from time to time, but that just seems crazy.

quote of the Day:" There should be some exam you have to pass before you can become a parent, other than the obvious practical" - character in terry pratchett book (either susan sto-helit or miss Butts, cnt remeber)

Old 2005-05-31, 11:47 AM   #56
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally posted by kington99
quote of the Day:" There should be some exam you have to pass before you can become a parent, other than the obvious practical" - character in terry pratchett book (either susan sto-helit or miss Butts, cnt remeber)
There is a wonderful scene in the movie Parenthood where Keanu Reeves - playing Todd, the scatter-brained, good for nothing boyfriend - says to Diane Wiest - playing the floundering, overwhelmed single mom - "You need a license to drive, hell, you need a license to fish, but any butt-reaming asshole can be a father." I highly recommend this movie to anyone who labors under the impression that there is any science to raising children.

Anyway, as for the exam I can assure you that both Yoopers and I would both fail and then there would have been no chance for Emma and Brad or Ben to hook up and devastate us both with their choices.

To plotz is human, to Schvitz divine.

Last edited by JJuggle; 2005-05-31 at 11:48 AM.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-31, 12:52 PM   #57
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.

Quote:
What an interesting perspective! Unfortunately you have probably led a rather sheltered life in that regard.
Unfortunately true, I am not really that sporty so my parents havent ever gotten into that supportive state. Unicycling is probably the first thing I've put enough time into to be any good at! I can't see them at conventions BTH, and I'm not under any delusions about winning any kind of unicycling competitions. The most they do to support me is to let me spend my own money on expensive unicycles that they don't see the point of. (They are trying to get me to save up for University... Ha!, thats what the government support is for. My parents (and now I) have been paying for chavs with a future in burger-van sales to go to school & on the dole for too long, its time to take something back).

I'm just a born loser, but at least I have fun taking part, and I get used to not hoping for the best .

Quote:
Think it was Susan Sto-Helit in Soul Music. Since thats the book where susans parents die, and it explores the whole parent/death relationship it makes sense. Plus the sarcastic tone typifies Susan.

Last edited by Loosemoose; 2005-05-31 at 12:53 PM.
Old 2005-05-31, 02:31 PM   #58
kington99
Unicyclist

True, but the comment is directed because susan/miss butts works at a primary school, the quote is in relation to parents of the pupils. Infact i think the quote is written down as a thought rather than ever actually said. Loose if you've got a copy can you look up who it was, it's bugging me and mine's at home.

Old 2005-05-31, 06:33 PM   #59
Loosemoose
Coco... thanks guys.

Righty ho, after a little research ... Turns out it was Susan Sto-Helit who said the words "Sometimes I really think people ought to have to pass a proper exam before they're allowed to be parents. Not just the practical, I mean".

She says it in 'Thief of Time' (page 66) which I've just read along with 'Soul Music', 'Mort', and 'Reaper Man' all in quick succession, hence the confusion. She's talking to Madam Frout, headmistress of the Frout Academy of Learning Through Play (which Susan disagrees with on a fundamental level. She believes there is a circle of hell reserved for teachers who teach kids using books involving 'a boy and his dog chasing a big red ball'). Susan is currently in the employ of Madam Frout, and she can't be sacked because she does such a good job. She says the line while talking to Madam Frout about her unorthodox teaching methods, and the subject of how the parents feel about it comes up.

Loose.

Old 2005-05-31, 07:29 PM   #60
kington99
Unicyclist

Ahh, shoot, Ms Butts is the headteacher when susan is a student, not a teacher, i've just remembered, and now i can't remeber what book THAT was in and it's bugging me. Shall we start a pratchett thread?

Tags
juggling, thread