Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-03-15, 12:01 AM   #7501
Superbant
Unicyclist

Location: Far, far away in a place with a yard and two floors and a basement and a few unicycles and lots of books and tall trees and good food and some computers and lots of unicycle.com stickers and plenty of misspellings and bad grammar and run on sentances
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmiles View Post
I heard what will likely be the best thing I ever hear on a unicycle. Other than the odd "honk of appreciation" or "where'd the other half go" I haven't heard much from people.

Today as I was riding home from school, I was passing a park with a group of high schoolers at it. One of them said "I like your unicycle" as I rode towards them, she then turned to her friend, pointed at me, and said "that's how you get laid."
That's gold.
Old 2016-03-15, 02:40 AM   #7502
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
One of them said "I like your unicycle" as I rode towards them, she then turned to her friend, pointed at me, and said "that's how you get laid."
I was going to post something that someone said today to me on the trail but how do you follow that? LOL
Old 2016-03-15, 02:58 AM   #7503
MuniCO
Unicyclist

I was on a trail the other day and a group of teens were off to the side with a couple of dogs and what looked like a few goats. As I passed I shouted to them, "Hey, are those goats or am I seeing things?" One of them shouted back, "They are goats! Are you on a unicycle or are WE seeing things?" I stopped to talk to them for a few. Cool kids. One had a unicyclist brother who rode a giraffe, one rode a 20", and the others asked some good questions and seemed genuinely interested. Agriculture and unicycles. The kids are going to be okay!
MuniCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 04:43 AM   #7504
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUniGuy View Post
I was going to post something that someone said today to me on the trail but how do you follow that? LOL
If I had better judgement I'd probably let that pass without posting. But if I haven't heard it put quite as forthrightly as that--and definitely don't need to!--any number of high school and college-age young women have stopped me while riding to ask about unicycling and tell me how cool it is, who would never even notice an old guy like me going by otherwise, who'd literally have looked right through me any other time.

Having a skill that people notice is bound to be a good thing in a Darwinian selection way, especially if you look like you're cool about it and having fun. Confidence is very sexy, someone on TV once said. The "never get laid" comments on YouTube are from guys who feel threatened because they can't ride a unicycle.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 07:29 PM   #7505
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Hiker: "You need another wheel"

Me: "You're right, you can never has too many unicycles!"

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 07:51 PM   #7506
midgetmiles
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post
Hiker: "You need another wheel"

Me: "You're right, you can never has too many unicycles!"
n+1 right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
The "never get laid" comments on YouTube are from guys who feel threatened because they can't ride a unicycle.
LargeEddie, you just gave me my signature.

Last edited by midgetmiles; 2016-03-15 at 07:54 PM.
midgetmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 01:23 AM   #7507
dgomes
Unicyclist

Wow, I am just getting back into unicycling after a 30 year break. My new Uni came in yesterday and I took it in to town to show a buddy (Nimbus Oracle 26"). The first guy I saw started whistling the Entry of the Gladiators. It was unbelievable that it was actually the very first person I saw that whistled the "circus tune".

There are some good comebacks on here... I am gonna have to try one of those.
dgomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 09:24 AM   #7508
janvanhulzen
Unicyclist

How about a tshirt with the tekst "Hiyaaa Georgie, do you want a balloon?" so you can point to that when passing by...

Last edited by janvanhulzen; 2016-03-16 at 09:30 AM.
janvanhulzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-20, 11:11 PM   #7509
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgomes View Post
Wow, I am just getting back into unicycling after a 30 year break. My new Uni came in yesterday and I took it in to town to show a buddy (Nimbus Oracle 26"). The first guy I saw started whistling the Entry of the Gladiators. It was unbelievable that it was actually the very first person I saw that whistled the "circus tune".

There are some good comebacks on here... I am gonna have to try one of those.
I have a shortcut to that on my phone ready to play - I figured the best thing is just to go along with it. (I also play trumpet, and have been trying to learn it for ages, but it's actually quite a tough piece to play - I've got some added motivation to practice trumpet at the moment though, so there might be a video of me playing that whilst riding at some point...)
Old 2016-03-21, 12:15 AM   #7510
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

I was pushing the 36 toward the door for my homebound commute. Someone who hadn't seen it before said:
"Really?"
"Really."
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-21, 03:10 AM   #7511
ICEdaddy
Reggie stirred you, Sir.

Bicyclist passing me on a hill: "You must have gotten that bike for half off."
(kudos for him not giving me my 1000th "you're missing a wheel comment"

Me: "Yeah, why pay more?"
ICEdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-26, 07:12 PM   #7512
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Girl who saw me riding across campus: "I want to say something snarky but that's actually really cool."

Much better than WYOW.
Old 2016-03-27, 04:49 AM   #7513
Monette
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeEddie View Post
If I had better judgement I'd probably let that pass without posting. But if I haven't heard it put quite as forthrightly as that--and definitely don't need to!--any number of high school and college-age young women have stopped me while riding to ask about unicycling and tell me how cool it is, who would never even notice an old guy like me going by otherwise, who'd literally have looked right through me any other time.

Having a skill that people notice is bound to be a good thing in a Darwinian selection way, especially if you look like you're cool about it and having fun. Confidence is very sexy, someone on TV once said. The "never get laid" comments on YouTube are from guys who feel threatened because they can't ride a unicycle.
Had me laughing until I cried with guys that feel threatened line.
Good post.
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 09:23 PM   #7514
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergios View Post
Did you say smth in return?
I also thought of "Two can be as bad as one" but I then saw Large Eddie got it first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxyD View Post
He stares long and hard into my soul, silently sure that I'm lying to him and thinking I crashed.

A long six seconds ticks by.

"Kay," he says, and takes off.
Maybe he was a doctor or an EMT -- watching your eyes and other body language to see if you had a brain injury.
Quote:
"Do you juggle too?" he asks?

"Way too complicated for me," I say back.
That's good. Usually when people ask me that, my canned response is "I can juggle three". Or if I want to be really obscure I say "I can juggle five and a half" (intended only to confuse, but based on the fact that, back when I practiced a lot, I had gotten to where I could sometimes flash 6 balls).
Quote:
You wouldn't have that problem on a real unicycle.
Question is, would you get more, or less people honking at you? I think a lot of them are doing it to see what your reaction will be -- even if they are also appreciative of the skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
"You guys need a donation box."
Wow, never heard that one! It could also be construed to be to help the rider save up for hospital bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj
Another was when about 5 teenage kids starting barking commands at us like we were circus animals. "Do a back flip," "Bunny hop," "Ride in a circle".....almost like they'd throw us peanuts if we complied. At the third "Do a back flip" we responded with "you go first."
I've been there on that one. Maybe next time I'll remember to try "Your turn. Lemme see a handspring, or just walk on your hands."
Quote:
"Where'd the other half go"
If someone ever asks me that, I hope I'll remember to say "She left me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgomes View Post
The first guy I saw started whistling the Entry of the Gladiators. It was unbelievable that it was actually the very first person I saw that whistled the "circus tune".
Not so much. You'll see...

But that helped me think of (what might be) a fresh comeback for that:
"I can name that tune. Can you?"
Super nerdy? Yes. Annoying? Yes. But they don't know the name of that.

Or how about:
"Nice tune. Did you just make that up?"

"I was younger then, but it felt at the time like it was going like poo off a spade. Great fun." -- Mikefule (he's British)
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-29, 11:51 AM   #7515
Sanne.Kj
50 blood donations :)

Yesterday in the nice springweather I went for a ride on the 29". Two men on road bikes came from behind, and as they passed me one of them gave me this nice advice: "Just lean well over the handle bar!"

I'll try that after I have put on the handle bar that I have just bought

- - - -

A surprising experience on the trip was that I met another unicyclist, that I had never seen before!!! He had just got his unicycle 3 months ago.

Best regards,
Sanne
Sanne.Kj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle