Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

View Poll Results: how many of you wish they could play the piano?
I sure do! Wow man! the Piano is like totally awesome! I should've listened to my mom and stuck lessons! (it rhymes!) 9 37.50%
no way man! piano is for squares! 3 12.50%
find an instrument that you prefer and stick to it 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2004-05-19, 11:49 PM   #1
Murde Mental
Unicycling Martyr

Should Owen go on with his piano lessons?

Piano lessons are REALLY getting on my nerves. I wish I could put my time to better use or at least find a way to enjoy the piano.

But just about everytime I complain about having to take piano lessons when I don't want to I get answered with this: "You'll thank me when you're older" or "You'll regret it for the rest of your life".

Is this true? Will I regret having quit piano?

In other words, how many of you wishes he/she could play the piano?

It's not that I don't like music, but let's just say that piano doesn't exactly suit my tastes....
Old 2004-05-19, 11:53 PM   #2
Murde Mental
Unicycling Martyr

[/edit]...stuck with the lessons [edit\]
Old 2004-05-20, 01:08 AM   #3
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
About the only thing I really blame my mother for, besides giving me her gene for height challengedness, is making me take piano lessons before I could start taking guitar lessons. I took a year of piano, didn't like it that much, and then never got around to taking up the guitar. I tried as an adult to learn to play guitar, but too many other things got in the way.

The piano is, of course, a good foundation, but if there is another instrument you'd prefer, push for it. Just make sure if you get your way, you give it a serious go.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To plotz is human, to schvitz divine.
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 04:10 AM   #4
tennisgh22
Haha you fool

Send a message via AIM to tennisgh22
Re: Should Owen go on with his piano lessons?

Quote:
Originally posted by Murde Mental
Piano lessons are REALLY getting on my nerves. I wish I could put my time to better use or at least find a way to enjoy the piano.

perhaps this would be a cool way to enjoy the piano.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/mario.php

-grant

btw, i used to play the piano when i was younger but i quit. my parents didn't care. i dont regret it at all, life is about finding the things you enjoy and persuing passions, not doing what your parents think you should...it sorta sounds like your parents are guilt tripping you about how you'll regret it for the rest of your life. perhaps you would regret it for the rest of you life if you wasted your time learning to play the piano when you could have spent that time playing a cooler instrument/unicycling/whatever? just an idea

-grant. wait i think i already said that...

Last edited by tennisgh22; 2004-05-20 at 04:15 AM.
tennisgh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 07:32 AM   #5
theamazingmolio
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to theamazingmolio
Quit the piano, and spend the time unicycling. If you don't enjoy the lessons, and you're constantly thinking that you don't want to be there, then you won't learn anything anyway.
theamazingmolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 07:40 AM   #6
andrew_carter
Back into muni!

Have you experiemented with styles of piano? I have played the piano very casually for about 10 years and I remember not enjoying it at some stages, but that was because I didn't enjoy the styles of the music I was playing, so we found styles I liked and I still really enjoy it. I also took up the drums about 5 years ago and I enjoy that more than the piano...I love drumming. You can never play too many instruments...unless you don't enjoy playing any of them.

Andrew
andrew_carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 08:09 AM   #7
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Your parents do have a point. You'll have a much greater appreciation and understanding of music if you learn at least the basics of piano.

The piano is much more than any other instrument (well, other than a pipe organ which is the king of instruments). By learning piano you learn all about chords, and not just the basic chords but weird chords like augmented and diminished chords. You also learn about melody, you learn about accompaniment, you learn bass clef, you learn treble clef. At the piano you learn a lot more about music than you do with an instrument like guitar or trumpet.

I got to take organ lessons when I was young. I liked the lessons, but I never advanced beyond what I consider basic playing abilities. Now I'm really wishing I would have taken the time to learn to play it better. I learned to play chords with my left hand and melody with my right, but I never learned how to play anything complex with the left hand.

If you don't learn things like piano before you're out of high school it's not likely that you'll learn later on in life. There just gets to be less time for stuff like that. Learn it now while you still can. I wish I would have put more effort in to learning how to play the organ or piano.

I do credit my organ lessons with teaching me an understanding of music. I enjoy listening to classical music and having an understanding of music makes classical music a lot more interesting. Understanding music also makes jazz a lot more interesting. There's a lot that goes on in some music where if you don't know music you'll say "those notes just don't work together" while if you do know music you'll say "I see how those notes go together".

Enjoy the piano lessons now. You most certainly will be grateful later on. Music is a wonderful thing. I really wish I could play a Bach fugue on a pipe organ. That would be so cool, but it ain't ever gonna happen. Wish I would have realized that back when I was in junior high when I was taking the organ lessons.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 03:40 PM   #8
laura
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to laura
i play the piano and truley i think it suks 2!
but ma mam n da wont let me quit
but oh well its gotta be some use hasnt it????...........
(p.s i also play the guitar and cornet! )
laura xXx
laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 09:25 PM   #9
Bonduranto
Awesome(but not at uniing)

Send a message via AIM to Bonduranto
I play guitar now, but i often wish that i knew how to play my brother's keyboard.
I wish i could vote in two categories. I think you should probably keep playing piano, but i also think that if there is something you would much rather play, then go for it.
Old 2004-05-20, 09:53 PM   #10
James_Potter
Unicyclist

My mom tried to get me to play the piano, and apparently I was really good and my hands were perfect. But I don't want to learn, even though I could probably be good at it.
Just choose something you want to do, and DO IT!!!!!
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 10:03 PM   #11
Murde Mental
Unicycling Martyr

Well I'm doin things I want to do...but as I said, my mom is always giving me that guilt-trip...

I'm mean come on! I've been doin it for 7 years! I think it's time for a change....
Old 2004-05-21, 05:16 AM   #12
muniracer
Hell On Wheel

Send a message via AIM to muniracer
keep it up. its only taking a few hours of your week and who knows, one day you might decide to be a concert pianist. if you know one instrument, the knowlege carries over so easily to others. i have never taken a piano lessen but i can sight read okay and can improvise a bit with basic chord structures. i dont regret not taking piano lessens as a child, but i know i would be quite different today if i had. perhaps try other styles or take it easy. maybe just take the summer off but promise to start again in the fall.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 01:35 PM   #13
digigal1
Level 1 on a good day

I can't believe the stuff parents are able to get away with. If you were 30 and someone came up to you and said, "I demand that you do (whatever), you don't have any choice, do it NOW" no matter what the demand was, you could probably have that person arrested, or at least get a restraining order against them. Making you play the piano for 7 years isn't the same as them requiring that you eat and bathe. It's not like if you stop playing the piano, you'd die or be ostracized from society. What they're doing is fascism, I tell you! Rebel!!
Old 2004-05-21, 02:15 PM   #14
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally posted by digigal1
What they're doing is fascism, I tell you! Rebel!!
And get grounded and loose all his unicycling privileges.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 03:34 PM   #15
laura
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to laura
yup i swear its mad they encourage me to unicycle but the 1st thing that get threatened or taken away is my uni

Lxx
laura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lessons, owen, piano