Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-01-07, 01:43 AM   #1
danger_uni
Kris Holm

MUni and other outdoor sports

Hi,

It's been interesting reading the reviews of Into the Thunder dragon, some positive, some not. Most criticisms related to the inclusion of elements other than pure hardcore action, related to our cultural adventures in Bhutan

This got me wondering- how many people on this newsgroup are also interested in other outdoor adventure sports such as climbing and mountaineering, that can potentially be combined with MUni?

I don't think Nathan and I are alone in wanting to do this sort of thing, and I'd love to see MUni culture grow to include adventurous, outdoorsy people who use riding as a mechanism to explore cool new places. Hanging out downtown and doing street stuff is awesome too, by the way- this isn't intended as a criticism of urban-oriented riders!

-Kris.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-07, 01:50 AM   #2
Catboy
Roadkill

Send a message via ICQ to Catboy Send a message via AIM to Catboy Send a message via MSN to Catboy
Quote:
This got me wondering- how many people on this newsgroup are also interested in other outdoor adventure sports such as climbing and mountaineering, that can potentially be combined with MUni?
Well I snowboard which is much like muni to where you have to evaluate whats coming up, what skiier or boarder is around yo and what you are going to do next. I found I have the same mental thoughts running throuhg my head. However I dont know how this can be combined with muni other than trying to use my season pass to get up the lift with my muni.

-Eric

P.S. I loved ITTD and I have no complaints whatsoever about how it is done other than I wish i had the DVD because my friend tells me it shows you static mount and stand on that rail still for 30secs.
Old 2003-01-07, 01:52 AM   #3
Checkernuts
currently riding bikes

Send a message via Yahoo to Checkernuts
I love rock climbing camping hiking kayaking caving or what ever outdoor thing you can thow at me. I have yet to go on any serious mountaineering mostly because I dont live near any large mountains. I would love to incorperate Muni into trecking/hiking someday but so far the oppertunity hasnt presented itself.

Mike

-------MUNI MILITIA -------
One Wheeled Death Squad
Checkernuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-07, 01:55 AM   #4
ekimstorm
Mike

I usually go hiking a few times a year. Bringing a uni along would be great and I'll definitly do that next time I go hiking...I just hope it wont add on too much weight. M'eh.

-Mike
Old 2003-01-07, 02:08 AM   #5
ratherbekayaking
Levels-shmevels. I just wanna ride!

Unfortunatly I can't easily combine my favorite sport with unicycling. the uni won't fit in my kayak and where I kayak there is often no roads, trails...etc. Well, there are rail roads, lots of those along rivers.

ps... ITTD was a great video. Keep 'em coming, especially on DVD!
Old 2003-01-07, 03:45 AM   #6
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

I thought you guys did a beautiful job with ITTD, Kris. I also wish you had included another 20 minutes on those amazing steps! I've learned a lot from those shots. I'm curious as to whether you set your brake up to grab hard like in bike trials or if you have it set up like a mountain biker. I also wish that you all had included more Mexican riding in the deleted scenes, especially on the volcano. That way you keep the continuity of a flowing film yet save the bits and pieces for us hungry riders. Congrats on the Banff awards - four of us from CT really enjoyed it on the big screen!

I'm into trekking as well and have wondered about how to do long-distance off-road in summer and winter. Not really a climber but I have been in the Adirondacks and in the New Hampshire Whites in the dead of winter. What a blast!
Old 2003-01-07, 04:09 AM   #7
Scott Stephens
Equipment Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to Scott Stephens
I climbed a 14,000 ft mountain this past summer in Colorado. It was one of the hardest experiences of my life, but also one of the most exilirating once I reached the top. I can barely breath at 12,000 ft, and 14,000 was what made it so hard, but 18,19 thousand, thats insane!

I have worked too hard to be a clown. I am an athlete and wish to be respected as one.- Checkernuts
Scott Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-07, 04:16 AM   #8
uni_boy50
Unicyclist

A movie with a combination of x-treme sports could be really cool. If it did well, people into other sports could see you guys, and get into it. The only thing I could think of, would be having a bunch of unicyclists, because ratherbekayaking is probably better at kayaking he could do more stuff. Anyway, it sounds like a really cool idea!
Old 2003-01-07, 04:18 AM   #9
Wayne van Wijk
Newsgroup User

Re: MUni and other outdoor sports

I love climbing (trad over sport, cracks and chimneys over face). I try
bring a unicycle on climbing trips wherever possible.

I have not done too much mountaineering, but have done a few great
multi-pitch routes (up to 5 pitches) and a little aid climbing.

It is a shame that most of the climbing that I do involves walk-ins and
dodgy scree slopes that are not too suited to unicycling. It is also a shame
that the people that I climb with do not unicycle - I will have to do
something about that.

Wayne.

"danger_uni" <danger_uni.gv4py@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:danger_uni.gv4py@timelimit.unicyclist.com...

> This got me wondering- how many people on this newsgroup are also
> interested in other outdoor adventure sports such as climbing and
> mountaineering, that can potentially be combined with MUni?

Old 2003-01-07, 05:28 AM   #10
GizmoDuck
Uni Hour Record Holder 29.993km

Re: MUni and other outdoor sports

Quote:
Originally posted by danger_uni
Hi,

It's been interesting reading the reviews of Into the Thunder dragon, some positive, some not. Most criticisms related to the inclusion of elements other than pure hardcore action, related to our cultural adventures in Bhutan

I don't think Nathan and I are alone in wanting to do this sort of thing, and I'd love to see MUni culture grow to include adventurous, outdoorsy people who use riding as a mechanism to explore cool new places. Hanging out downtown and doing street stuff is awesome too, by the way- this isn't intended as a criticism of urban-oriented riders!

-Kris.
You guys were the inspiration behind my trip to Nepal and my MUni adventures there.

MUNepal

I think MUni is definitely the way to do an adventure trip- easy to cart around airports, robust (imagine if your Rock Shox blew up in Bhutan), and fun way to travel.

And I definitely feel that the inclusion of cultural/adventure focus in ITTD make it much more appealing, otherwise it will be more like another UNiverse (which is fantastic by the way).

I'm planning on another adventure style trip later this year- any ideas for cool unitrekking/adventure places? If you guys ever decide to travel down under to explore middle-earth let me know; there's some great adventure riding places here in New Zealand!

Ken

Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2003-01-07 at 05:31 AM.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-07, 05:35 AM   #11
jesus_butter
rogue unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to jesus_butter
I like climbing a lot, especially sport and boldering. I'm already visualizing a group of climbers wih MUni's strapped to their backs, preparing to descend the other side of a mountain, maybe to go to another crag, speed climb ala Hans Florine, only using MUni's to get to the other climbing areas you want to link up. Or a MUn ride in to a climbing area. Or.... It's really limitless!
jesus_butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-07, 05:30 PM   #12
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:
Originally posted by jesus_butter
I like climbing a lot, especially sport and boldering. I'm already visualizing a group of climbers wih MUni's strapped to their backs, preparing to descend the other side of a mountain, maybe to go to another crag, speed climb ala Hans Florine, only using MUni's to get to the other climbing areas you want to link up. Or a MUn ride in to a climbing area. Or.... It's really limitless!
\

I totally agree!! I think that a lot of climbers, especially boulderers, would really get into MUni and trials, because the mentality is basically the same. This has already happened with the growth in popularity of slackline walking amoungst climbers. The main reason I originally got into uni trials was because I like climbing and bouldering.

-Kris
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-01-07, 05:44 PM   #13
James_please02
i'm not different...well....

Send a message via AIM to James_please02 Send a message via Yahoo to James_please02
It would be pretty cool to combine a bit of canyoning with Muni. You could start up in the highlands and follow the course of the river from its source to the sea.
it would take you down steep hillsides and flat open plains and a bit of urban riding at the seafront town.

just an idea!
Old 2003-01-07, 05:53 PM   #14
Mikefule
Roland Hope School of Unicycling

I guess unicycling appeals to people who do outdoor sports, just as it appeals to people who do street entertainment and people who do skateboarding/bmx. I came into Unicycling via the street entertainment route (I am a Morris dancer) and have really got into it in a big way because it offers some of the benefits of bicycling, and is more challenging than rambling.

I can't see it going well wil kayaking, but it would go well with 'open canoeing'.

I can see some similarities with paragliding where climbers climb the mountain then fly down. Of course a uni isn't that easy to fold up in a day sack, so perhaps there's a challenge here for unicycle.uk.com to get together with Brompton to develop the ultimate folding unicycle?
Old 2003-01-07, 07:03 PM   #15
JoeRowing
MUni Animal

Send a message via AIM to JoeRowing
I agree.
I do some climbing, caving, skiing, and MTB and trials bike riding. I've even found the surfing handy, I think any sport involving physical exertion along with balance and a need to be focused entirely on the job at hand will help some aspect of riding.

I still long to combine caving and unicycling - I think that could be interesting to say the least.

These all seem to work quite well together. In fact climbing and the bike and uni stuff will be on the film "Don't Walk" when it gets finished.
Unfortunately one of the other riders has got two pins in his hips and the cameraman has a broken knee. We're should perhaps call it "Can't Walk"

Tags
muni, outdoor, sports