Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-08-16, 01:02 AM   #1
Dogsock
Unicyclist

KH 27.5 or 29"

Title says it all. Plan to pull the trigger on Thursday and need some opinions on KH 27.5 vs. 29". I've been riding since I was a kid. Have an old Schwinn 20".

I like trails and have some great ones that I mountain (x2 wheels)bike in Oregon. I also like to ride paved trails and road.

According to specks, they both weight the same. 14.2'ish.

Benefits of one over the other?
Dogsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-16, 03:06 AM   #2
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Get the 27.5". More fun. More maneuverable. More standard muni size. My first non-starter unicycle was a 26" Oracle muni. My neighborhood, right out the front door, is very muni friendly. After a while, I felt I should develop my road riding chops, so I bought a 29" "road" unicycle. Big mistake. I found road riding to be a combination of boredom and terror. Give me snakes and rocks over cars any day. I ended up converting the 29" to a XC/muni setup. It's made of heavier components than my 26", adding an additional level of sluggishness to the setup. In flowy conditions, the 29" is pretty nice, but for most off-road riding, I love my 26". Just out of curiosity, why didn't you include 26" in the list of choices? I suppose 27.5" is the new 26". You will have many more tire choices, though there are still plenty of good options for 26". It's easy to think of a 29" as a magical road/muni unicycle, but rather than the best of both worlds, I think the 29" is the worst of both worlds--Too large and challenging to maneuver for muni, and too small and not-quite-fast-enough for exhilarating road riding. If you take your 27.5" on the road and don't like the experience, I doubt you're going to fall in love with road riding on the 29". But if you like riding on the road, maybe your next-next unicycle should be a 36er. Just my opinion. Bottom line: figure out the riding conditions in your neighborhood, and that will help you make a good choice.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-16, 06:42 AM   #3
Dogsock
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Get the 27.5". More fun. More maneuverable. More standard muni size. My first non-starter unicycle was a 26" Oracle muni. My neighborhood, right out the front door, is very muni friendly. After a while, I felt I should develop my road riding chops, so I bought a 29" "road" unicycle. Big mistake. I found road riding to be a combination of boredom and terror. Give me snakes and rocks over cars any day. I ended up converting the 29" to a XC/muni setup. It's made of heavier components than my 26", adding an additional level of sluggishness to the setup. In flowy conditions, the 29" is pretty nice, but for most off-road riding, I love my 26". Just out of curiosity, why didn't you include 26" in the list of choices? I suppose 27.5" is the new 26". You will have many more tire choices, though there are still plenty of good options for 26". It's easy to think of a 29" as a magical road/muni unicycle, but rather than the best of both worlds, I think the 29" is the worst of both worlds--Too large and challenging to maneuver for muni, and too small and not-quite-fast-enough for exhilarating road riding. If you take your 27.5" on the road and don't like the experience, I doubt you're going to fall in love with road riding on the 29". But if you like riding on the road, maybe your next-next unicycle should be a 36er. Just my opinion. Bottom line: figure out the riding conditions in your neighborhood, and that will help you make a good choice.
Wow, what a great reply. Thank you! That really helps.

You're right about the 26" as I was thinking 27.5" is seemingly the new 26".

I like having the flexibility with the 27.5". And as you say, the 36" might be another arrow in the quiver down the road.

I aspire to someday take a 36" with bars, backpack, and a tent on an extended journey!

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
Old 2017-08-17, 04:05 PM   #4
UnderTheLake
I like pavement.

A thought: get the 29" frame, but put the 27.5" wheel set in it. If you get bored later, you can put in a 29" wheel. I've got a 26" wheel in a 29" frame at the moment. Only a trained eye would ever notice the difference. Of course, this scheme won't work with a rim brake. Disk brake will be fine. I don't have a brake at all.
UnderTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-17, 05:27 PM   #5
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

I'm in love with my KH29.

31" tire diameter, pedals at the 127mm, and KH handlebars. This thing flies and can roll over damn near anything.
I can pick my way up or down technical or can just roll over everything depending on my mood and ride.

I'm 6' 3" and 180lbs.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 06:12 AM   #6
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

If it is more for Muni I would go for the 27,5. Simply because of the bigger (plus size) tire choice of the MTB market.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 04:43 PM   #7
pierrox
Unicyclist

Anybody doing downhill on a 27.5"? How's that compared to a 24"?
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-22, 12:31 AM   #8
Dogsock
Unicyclist

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. I'm pulling the trigger on a 2017 KH 27.5!! Can't wait.

I'll report back when I've given it a full test.
Old 2017-08-22, 02:49 AM   #9
1wheelonthefly
Unicyclist

Dogsock Have you thought about the Nimbus hatchet? A guy sure can do a lot with that frame. http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...47#post1687147
1wheelonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-22, 05:00 AM   #10
Dogsock
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wheelonthefly View Post
Dogsock Have you thought about the Nimbus hatchet? A guy sure can do a lot with that frame. http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...47#post1687147
Looked at that one. Looks pretty specialized although honestly didn't do a lot of research. Coming from a fellow Utah guy...I'm U guy however, not a Y guy, I'll have to take a closer look.

Noticed you have a KH 29. Riden it much?
Old 2017-08-22, 10:37 AM   #11
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

Deciding wheel size

I had only ever rode my 40 year old cycle pro when I found out about the technology and new unicycles that are out there. And never realized what people were doing with them. That really got my interest going again. So, after hours and hours watching YouTube reviews. And chating with josh @ UDC, I picked up the KH29. I'm an entry level rider. Right, 40 years. Quick learner. I just found this forum recently. I ride on paved bike paths, sidewalks and side streets. I love it. I just wanted to move along at a better pace then my old 20 inch. This KH29 does that. However, I really think I'm going to own a variety of wheel sizes before it's over. Several unicycles later,...I bounce on my KH20, Muni on KH26 and scoot along on KH29. I went with the 26 because the 27 was so close to the 29 I already owned. I could see the 27 being a good place to be also. I'm going to watch for your feedback on the 27. Jeff c
Kwikkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-22, 03:24 PM   #12
1wheelonthefly
Unicyclist

[QUOTE=Dogsock;1687185]Looked at that one. Looks pretty specialized although honestly didn't do a lot of research. Coming from a fellow Utah guy...I'm U guy however, not a Y guy, I'll have to take a closer look.

Noticed you have a KH 29. Riden it much?[/QUOTE
I try and get on that K/H 29 every day.
I put a street tire on the 29 for riding on this path along the Provo river. My thought is the 29 would be just a little too big for mountain unicycling. And I saw where the hatchet could accept so many different sizes of rims and tires.
How much can you change a unicycle? They all have the same balance point.
So about all you can do is just change the shape of the frame a little, just to give it a different look is about all you can do with them. As for BYU and Utah.
I've never cared much for the Y. I always wanted Utah to win, Just because they were the under dogs. But I'll do the same for BYU when they play a big name team.
1wheelonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 01:51 AM   #13
bradahj
Fail 'Til You Succeed

don't mean.....

....to hijack the thread, but my situation is similar.

The older, teen-aged kids, are tired of their 20 and 24 -- can't keep up with Dad ..... looking to get a Nimbus 29 Muni or the Nimbus 29 Road. We do about 2/3 of riding on streets, side roads, ramps, some stairs/hopping......and the rest off-road consisting of bike trails, some single track, etc.

Wondering if the Road will hold up or if the the Muni is over-kill with the type of riding we do.

Thanks for any input.
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 11:18 AM   #14
Kwikkash
Unicyclist

Tire and cranks

I love my new 29 inch KH mountain uni. I did not have a clue when I bought it. Only experience up to this purchase was my old 20. Im gonna say dumb luck getting the mountain type. I do ride occasionally on very nice smooth bike paths and streets. My 29 muni does fine. I think playing with the air pressure dials it in for the smooth street riding. Now, when I'm at home on the streets and sidewalks where I usually ride, not exactly smooth. Only a couple potholes and pavement cracks away from full muni. I nailed it on the mountain style.
My other ride is a nimbus 24 sport. Amazing quality and finish. I would say the 29 mountain your looking at will stand up to anything. I would say the real question is tire choice and crank length. I didn't have a clue on how to make that decision. So, I bought the KH with the two crank positions. I have stayed on 150. I like the feel. I'll change to the shorter position one day and see how that goes. So....flip a coin. No loser in your decision.
Tonight I get to ride a 36er. I'm excited to see how that goes. Good luck. Jeff c
Kwikkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-23, 12:36 PM   #15
kunstrasen
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post

Wondering if the Road will hold up or if the the Muni is over-kill with the type of riding we do.

Thanks for any input.
The only differences between the Nimbus Road and Muni are the crank length and tire. Both will hold up. So it is up to you. Depends where your priority is: More road or more Muni.

By changing cranks and tire you can convert them to each other if needed later on.
kunstrasen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kh 275 or 29