Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-08-20, 11:03 PM   #46
Abby
Unicyclist

Hows it going?

I still find it really odd changing size wheel! I was going to mention the other time I also do archery and often joke about doing both at the same time!!.

Currently a muni ride is being planned for dartmoor, while it might be above what you can do at the moment it might be a cool way to meet others and such
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 09:54 AM   #47
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Hows it going?
Currently a muni ride is being planned for dartmoor, while it might be above what you can do at the moment it might be a cool way to meet others and such
Unless theyve built a network of handrails that wasn't there last time I looked I suspect that's true, but it would be nice to know where you were gathering and maybe I could come and get inspired!
Old 2016-08-21, 12:20 PM   #48
Abby
Unicyclist

i'll message you

No handrails no but It is always nice to meet others
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 05:59 PM   #49
brendan
Unicycling = trials

I highly recommend meeting other unicyclists! Best way to learn. I'll hopefully make it to the dartmoor muni ride

Last edited by brendan; 2016-08-21 at 05:59 PM.
brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-22, 04:15 PM   #50
Spinningwoman

Day 21(elapsed)/17(active)

So, after my weekend missing my unicycle I was back at the skatepark today. Although the secret dream that the visions in my head would have become reality did not actually happen, I did feel I started in a better place than where I left off. In particular, the most disconcerting thing about my last really bad ride on the 20" before I went away was the weird feeling that I had somehow forgotten how to fall off - instead of just stepping off forward or backward I kind of got stuck in the middle and felt like I nearly took some bad falls. Today I think I identified that weird feeling as 'balance'. I am beginning to get longer moments of actually being balanced on the seat. It doesn't necessarily stop me falling off, but it gives me a few more milliseconds to think about what is happening. I did my longest run alongside but not touching the fence, about 6 pedals, and definitely my longest launch into the abyss; about 5 pedals. And periods of three or four pedals not touching the fence are feeling almost routine. So, getting there!
Old 2016-08-22, 10:27 PM   #51
sukie47
One is enough

I totally get the getting stuck in that middle place. Now that I'm back on my uni after breaking my foot, I am just spinning around the tennis courts again on my 20, nothing extreme, just getting used to being back on one wheel. When I first learned to ride, I did everything I could to avoid falling. Now that I'm riding again, I am purposely learning how to dismount unexpectedly (carefully right now). Getting stuck in the middle place is exactly how I broke my foot. So, happy and safe falling.

Last edited by sukie47; 2016-08-22 at 10:28 PM.
sukie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 06:58 PM   #52
Spinningwoman

Day 22/18

Another hour at the skatepark, though at least 10 mins of that was chatting to another 60 yo who was there supervising her grandsons on their scooters. She had cycled from Land's End to John o'Groats twice - once for her 40th year and once for her 50th and was contemplating doing it again for her 60th. She was very interested in the unicycling. I didn't make any huge advances but definitely felt more balanced and settled into the saddle, and I improved one pedal on my best 'launch into space'.
Old 2016-08-24, 09:11 AM   #53
Alucard
Unicyclist

Great thread guys

Well Done on finding the 24” Spinningwoman
It's not often that happens.
I have to admit that I think my 20" doesn't like me I fall off it more times than any other unicycle and because I'm nearer to the ground on that one, my reactions aren't quick enough and I end up my bum a lot of the time.
The bigger the unicycle the easier it is to balance I think.

Keep up the good work and more videos please.

Alucard
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 09:45 AM   #54
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

Quote: Alucard..
The bigger the unicycle the easier it is to balance I think.

I am convinced this is the case, maybe not for everybody, but certainly for me. My 24" fits like a glove so to speak.. !!
Old 2016-08-24, 11:07 AM   #55
Spinningwoman

I'm actually back on the 20" for the moment. My experiment seemed to show that it was pretty easy to go from 20" to 24" but much harder to go the other way, and I definitely want to be able to ride the 20", so I'm thinking I will stick with the 20" until I crack it. Plus, (she says muttering ashamedly and ruffling the dust with her foot) I haven't quiiiite managed to start the 'Hi, darling, I suddenly realised it was a really good idea to buy a second unicycle even though I can't ride the first one yet' conversation, so it is still hiding in the boot of my car. All relationships seem to consist of one person who buys stuff and another person who sees it as their life's mission to stop them. And I rarely buy clothes or other girly stuff. If I felt I wasn't going to crack it on the 20" I would switch, but it is feeling very possible at the moment.
Old 2016-08-24, 08:42 PM   #56
Spinningwoman

Day 23/19

The little kids at the skatepark now recognise me and comment politely on my progress. One asked me today whether I was learning it for fun or for a job! Nice that his worldview includes the possibility that someone might pay me for unicycling I suppose! No advances today - felt a bit frustrated as yesterday felt really good, and because in my head, I can do this - it's just that in the actual world it keeps turning out that I can't.
Old 2016-08-24, 11:09 PM   #57
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Be patient. My learning process involved a lot of slipping back. It often took me 30 minutes to repeat the successes of the previous day. You mentioned in a previous post your desire to avoid falls. I suggest that, even though you're only riding a few revs, you start practicing mounts, and you do so on grass. Though you probably won't be able to ride out of the mount, it will nevertheless develop your balance, and each failed mount will give you practice dismounting on a soft surface where falling only has minor consequences. I experimented a lot in the beginning. It slowed down the learning, but it made it safer, and it set the stage for more learning later on. Good luck!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 01:43 AM   #58
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
When I first learned to ride, I did everything I could to avoid falling. Now that I'm riding again, I am purposely learning how to dismount unexpectedly (carefully right now). Getting stuck in the middle place is exactly how I broke my foot.
This is a really important point. Always avoid being put in the position of having an uncontrolled dismount. It is essential to bail out while you still are in control. My worst injuries have been where I didn't eject myself from the uni and got tangled up with my ankle wedged between spokes and crank.

One of the reasons I recommend against using the clinging to a fence method of learning is that it does not teach the running exit or falling. The ride away into the open method develops these skills right from the beginning so they are well established by the time riding takes off.
Old 2016-08-25, 01:56 AM   #59
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
This is a really important point. Always avoid being put in the position of having an uncontrolled dismount. It is essential to bail out while you still are in control.
I agree I have learned not to ride so far into anything that I can't get off in a controlled manner. May not be pretty, but I walk away to ride another day. And wear your safety gear. The old bones don't heal as quickly as they did when we were 12 years old.
Old 2016-08-25, 09:26 AM   #60
Spinningwoman

Good feedback, thanks everyone. I'm doing a mixture - running round the fence, launching off and using the walking poles - but I was planning to start some 'starting with an attempted mount' to give me something useful to do on the grass at home. One of the books I've come across is Gregg Vivolo's 'crash course' which suggests starting from a curb mount. Unfortunately the step at the edge of our lawn is a particularly nasty concrete shelf that would be very unpleasant to fall back onto, which I find inhibiting, so I'm planning to get a bit of 4x4 or something. But I may just start experimenting with a free mount.

The falling thing is interesting. It makes me realise how little I have fallen in my adult, female, non-athletic life! I remember falling once over the handlebars of my bike in my twenties, trying to stop suddenly and being more successful than I expected. Again from my bike about six years ago when a dog ran in front of me on a canal path. And once in April this year, walking the Camino, tired and sloppy on a very wet path, stumbling and being overcome by the momentum of my pack. With this unicycle thing, I do mostly manage to step off - possibly even too easily, because it is the times I struggle to stay on that I end up actually falling. Maybe once per session I end up on the ground. I've been glad of the helmet and the Kris Holm gloves I bought - much more wearable than the skateboard wrist protectors I started with. I don't really use the fence to save myself from falling - I just push against it to keep balance rather than hang on. Ditto the poles - if I'm going over, they are no use; I just use them for a little light correction and turning. So plenty of coming off practice is being had. It's the staying on that is tricky.

Tags
beginner, devon, learner, learning journal, slow progress