Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2016-08-13, 03:14 PM   #31
DaUniGuy
Training hard for retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
Archery isn't hard to learn. It's hard to get really good at, but surprisingly easy to get to the point where you are hitting the target most of the time. .
First let me welcome you to the the addiction of unicycling and the unicyclist.com family.

Archery is the hobby I have enjoyed the longest, that or slotcars. I have worked on idiling while racing my grandson on our basement slotcar track but never thought about shooting my bow. I will have to give it a try sometime.

When I got my first bow as a kid being an archer was somewhat special and rare much like unicycling but with the modern technology that has come to the sport the average person can be nailing a paper plate with a bow from 30 yards pretty consistently in no time.

What do you shoot spinningwoman? I still shoot my 56" 36# browning recurve I got when I was 10 for my birthday the most, finger release with no sights, instinctive aiming, That or my 56" 50# bear recurve. I tried the compound with sights for a while but it just was not for me.
Old 2016-08-13, 03:57 PM   #32
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

Yes, just instinctive for me too. I took some lessons with a sight to join our nearest club and nearly gave up archery altogether. I do 3D field archery which is basically messing around in woods pretending to hunt rubber animals. I have a one piece traditional recurve and a Korean 'horse bow' style bow, so I'm all set!

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 2016-08-13 at 04:02 PM.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 04:10 PM   #33
Spinningwoman

So, thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I went out to find a good space today, and found a good one though it is 20 minutes drive from home. It is a small skatepark next to a carpark in a local seaside town. It has a good fence of just the right height around it and a nice smooth surface. It has a very slight end to end incline, which is nice too - not enough to be a problem in either direction, but just two slightly different experiences. The only possible snag is that the notice board says it is 'strictly reserved for skateboard, rollerblade and bmx' but I'm guessing that's because unicycles never crossed their mind rather than because they wanted to exclude them. When I was there it was being used by little kids who were climbing up the ramps and sliding down them, so it wasn't just me pushing the parameters!
I had a good half hour there - no breakthroughs but definitely feeling that short spells in balance are getting more frequent!
Old 2016-08-13, 05:02 PM   #34
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukie47 View Post
Vertigo, I thought the same thing, but just assumed it was because of my own reference point as a craftsperson. Are you a weaver?
So far I've resisted taking up weaving because I have a tiny house with lots of yarn, two spinning wheels, countless hand spindles, sewing paraphernalia and now six or so unicycles. I've been an avid knitter and spinner for years but those hobbies have suffered since a took up unicycling.

SpinningWoman nice to meet another spinner/knitter/weaver. A few years ago I visited Coldharbour Mill and dropped in on the spinning group meeting. I had my hand spindle with me at the time and had a lovely time there.My fiber friends think I'm a bit off my rocker with my unicycling.

Quote:
My husband claims that I take up a new hobby every time I run out of stuff to buy for the last one, but I know that's not true as there are still some ukuleles and bows and spinning wheels in the world that I have resisted buying (so far).
My mother is like that. Sometimes I think her hobby is taking up craft hobbies. I try to resist that temptation but I can relate with you on obsessing about hobbies. A couple of months ago I took a wheel building class just so I could put together a road specific unicycle. I almost got into wood turning so that I could make spindles.

I think you will need 24" unicycle. Several of mine were purchase on ebay or craigslist for very good prices. You might keep an eye on similar trading websites.

Don't give up! Glad you found a better spot to practice.

Are any of the fiber people on this thread also members of Ravelry?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-14, 03:40 PM   #35
Spinningwoman

Day 13 UE (Unicycle Era)

I was quite surprised to realise that I am almost through my second week with this. I went back to the skatepark today - being a sunny summer Sunday by the sea, there were a lot of people around but only a couple of little kids on scooters in the skatepark. An old lady told me she was very impressed by my.. By my... - but apparently couldn't think of an appropriate word to finish the sentence. Skill? Unlikely. Insanity? Possibly. A little kid with a three wheel scooter and an impressive ability to count followed me round for a while shouting 'mummy! That lady only got one wheel! I got three wheels!' Until the unicycle squirted in his direction and his mother sensibly decided to encourage him to admire my small wheel count from a greater distance.

I'm still doing a mixture of riding along the fence, with intervals of not touching it, attempting to swoop across the corners and launching out into space, and a bit of scooting around with the ski poles. It feels like I am improving slowly, but I am trying to see myself as a toddler pulling itself around on the furniture. Nobody gets impatient with it for not walking unaided yet. If I'm not off the fence by the end of the month I will start wondering if this is the wrong strategy, but for now I'm just going to let things develop.
Old 2016-08-14, 03:43 PM   #36
Spinningwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Are any of the fiber people on this thread also members of Ravelry?
I'm Tangleweasel there, but I've hardly ever posted anything. When I'm knitting I'm never very interested in documenting it.

Coldharbour Mill is not far from me, though I've never been to the spinning group there.

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 2016-08-14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2016-08-16, 10:11 AM   #37
Spinningwoman

Day 14 - Shattered!

So, an interesting day yesterday. My official two week unicycle birthday. For the first time I asked my husband to come out in the garden and act as a support as I practiced on the lawn - mainly because a lot of the books recommend that as the best way to learn so I wanted to see what it felt like. It was pretty good - I had no problem unicycling across the lawn holding his hand or resting mine on his shoulder. Unless you can pair up with another learner, though, I can't see getting enough practice in that way! Then yesterday evening I went to the skatepark again and spent 50 minutes there by which time I was shattered. Did my longest streak so far - along the fence but not touching it for about five or six pedals - not revolutions. I also cut the corners unsupported and do some 'launching' that never gets past a couple of pedals. Plus a good go with the walking poles. I'm not entirely sure why using poles is generally dismissed. It feels useful to me - sometimes you only need a light touchdown to rebalance, and eventually I would hope not to be touching down much at all. And it sets you free of the wall. This is the YouTube that encouraged me that this might be a way for a non-speed-freak old lady to learn!
https://youtu.be/VQ5Vl2puMeU
Old 2016-08-16, 07:35 PM   #38
Spinningwoman

Day 15, two wheels on my wagon

I mentioned in another thread that although I was interested to find out what a 24 would feel like, I had no intention of buying another unicycle until I had finally learned. Of course I should have known better than to tempt fate like that... I went into Exeter to buy some wrist and knee pads and while searching for the skateboard shop I passed a shop which SELLS UNICYCLES! And they had a Qu-ax 24 in the window. I think it is the Luxus, though I'm slightly confused because the tyre looks a bit more off-roady than the picture. But anyway it was a chance to see what it felt like so I tried it out and really liked it, and somehow it followed me home. It had me so hypnotised I left the pads in the skate shop. I took it to the skatepark and once I'd got the seat height adjusted I found it nice and smooth to ride and definitely less likely to 'stick' at 6 o'clock. I attracted the attention of a couple of old guys who were out hiking; turned out that one of them had been a unicyclists in the past. He said he had a Pashley - did they make unicycles? Anyway, we had a nice chat and then I did my best run yet while they were watching - still only 5 or 6 pedals but it's all heading in the right direction.
Old 2016-08-16, 08:25 PM   #39
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

Splendid result then.... All good news coming from the Exeter environs. I did a spectacular pedal controlled ride this evening on my new 24". The knobbly tyre sticks to everything road like, amazingly good control can be made with that little novelty.
I am utilizing a nearby farmers barn, outside wall and flat concrete pad, to get used to the uni. I must ask formal permission tomorrow, just in case.. !!!
Keep it up you are doing okay all the way.....
Stone me, isn't it hot work though, my helmet is more like a bucket after an hour...
Old 2016-08-16, 08:33 PM   #40
Spinningwoman

Very, very hot. That thing about 'Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies only glow' didn't take account of hot summers, unicycles and helmets.
Old 2016-08-16, 08:59 PM   #41
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
He said he had a Pashley - did they make unicycles?
Yes, Pashley was a popular make some years ago. (I'm pretty sure John Foss has one in his collection.)

Nice to hear about the new acquisition. Word of advice if it's a knobby tire -- make sure to keep the air pressure up if you're riding on paved surfaces. That will keep it from "digging in" too much. (can be hard to control) But you will find it rides nicely on un-paved roads and trails.

Cheers!
Old 2016-08-18, 09:37 PM   #42
Spinningwoman

Day 16 weirdness

Yesterday was strange I felt that every time I just push off I fail on the second pedal of the first revolution, almost like I am training myself to do that. So instead of just going for it I decided to deliberately go for two pedals and then step off. It worked, the first time. The second time my brain caught on to the fact I was trying to slip something past it. But later on I did it again, visualising the two pedals and then step off, and it worked again, once.
The other weirdness is that the next few days are forecast rainy so I cleared a covered area of patio so I would have somewhere dry to practice. I tried it out and fell apart. It was like I suddenly went back to day five. Part of it might be that I was back on the 20" after the previous day's trial with the 24. Part of it might be that the patio roof is quite low, so maybe by contrast that made me feel high up and insecure. Whatever, it was bad. And now I have a long weekend away at a festival with no practice at all, probably. Though I did put the uni in the car in case it seemed possible.

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 2016-08-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 2016-08-19, 05:19 PM   #43
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

I have dismissed the 20" completely, it tended to destroy any gain I am making on the 24". Total brain malfunction really when on this learning curve, besides I enjoy the 24" much, much more. Off I went yesterday, and I found myself singing away to myself without any conscious thought about it, superb feeling when cycling away....
Keep at it...
Old 2016-08-20, 01:29 PM   #44
sukie47
One is enough

A couple of days off the uni will benefit you tremendously. As you already know, your brain is taking that rest time to put the knew info in the right places. I learned the hard way that taking breaks and some moderation is absolutely necessary when learning to unicycle, especially as we....age.

Also, get ready... you'll be finding that more than one or two unicycles will find their way into your fold. I don't part with my money easily... and I had 3 within the first 3 months of learning. My injury was the only thing that stopped the madness.
Old 2016-08-20, 01:57 PM   #45
Spinningwoman

In general, I think it helps learning to switch up equipment a bit. Even if it slows you down at first, it forces your brain to generalise and draw broader conclusions, which helps in the long run. I resisted buying a tenor uke for a long time because the fret spacings are different from a soprano, but if anything getting it pushed my fingering speed up a notch it only tools few minutes to get used to the 24" after the 20" but it felt like going back to the 20" might be harder. I'm really looking forward to getting home on Monday and trying them both again.

Tags
beginner, devon, learner, learning journal, slow progress