Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-08-12, 12:32 PM   #16
Spinningwoman
Finally freemounting unicyclist

This is a great group! Yes, I'm a spinner, knitter (and machine knitter) and weaver - oh, and archer and ukulele player. The last two will combine nicely with unicycle riding if I get good enough!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGFcp5r8bjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN2ccBsYiqY

Spinningwoman has been my username ever since I became an early adopter of the idea of internet groups back in the days of Compuserve and modems that downloaded emails at a snail's pace while you went and made several ups of tea. As soon as I realised that my crazy little hobbies were actually big hobbies when multiplied by the size of the internet, i knew I had found my place! I remember the days when I started spinning and weaving and the only place you could find information was your local library. My husband claims that I take up a new hobby every time I run out of stuff to buy for the last one, but I know that's not true as there are still some ukuleles and bows and spinning wheels in the world that I have resisted buying (so far). I am already hearing myself trying to convince myself that it would be much easier if I had a second unicycle to keep in the car, but I am practicing delayed gratification. I do have plans for a 24" muni as a reward for perseverance when finally I get this, though at my height I may have to get a specially cut-down version.

I tried the poles when I started and got tangled up, but then tried them again after a week once I had the basic balance down and they seem to work well and give me a bit of range. I can also feel how I would naturally get less dependant on them as well, hopefully, and they are good for developing an 'almost free' mount which feels like it could develop into a free mount so if I find a good surface somewhere I can use it without needing a wall or a fence. A tennis court would be idea, but this is holiday season and I don't know of any that would be free. I'm planning to find a park tomorrow and see what areas I can find. Unfortunately I have a very public job locally, so I have to go off my patch if I don't want it to be the local topic of conversation, which I would rather avoid until I can be just a tiny bit awesome! If I can hit the outskirts of awesome by the end of August, that would be great as my kids are coming for the weekend and I will get a severe 'Oh, Mum'ing from my daughter if I can't demonstrate that it isn't completely impossible. My son will probably pick it up and ride it after 5 minutes. My daughter and my husband are soulmates in the 'let's keep mum from doing anything else crazy' department. They mean well.
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-12, 12:46 PM   #17
Spinningwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I learned in the living room. I live alone, so I moved all furniture to the side. I started against the wall and eventually, after 2 weeks or so I found that it was better to steer away from the wall, because it drew me to it like a magnet.
Yes - I've moved our couch away from the wall so I can get behind it and idle away while I watch TV!
Old 2016-08-12, 02:23 PM   #18
Spinningwoman

Yay! It may not be much, but I just made 3 'steps' (ie I suppose 1.5 revolutions) unsupported, in a way that actually felt like unicycling rather than just taking a couple of seconds to fall over. That was on grass.
Old 2016-08-12, 03:10 PM   #19
Spinningwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
If I can hit the outskirts of awesome by the end of August, that would be great as my kids are coming for the weekend
Now that's a good phrase. Grabbing that for a sig.
Old 2016-08-12, 06:25 PM   #20
Regina Wrecks
Cylopic Menace to Society.

This is a great group! Yes, I'm a spinner, knitter (and machine knitter) and weaver - oh, and archer and ukulele player. The last two will combine nicely with unicycle riding if I get good enough!

Is this an indication that Unicyclists do normal stuff too... ?? Well swipe me, I never knew that....!!

Keep it up, it sounds as though you are nearly there..
Old 2016-08-12, 06:49 PM   #21
Spinningwoman

A couple more three step runs and one four step! Let me know when you are bored hearing this! (Not that I will necessarily stop. I need someone to boast my little triumphs to. I told my husband, and he said 'well, that doesn't sound like much but I can see you're pleased so I suppose it must be.'
Old 2016-08-12, 06:53 PM   #22
Spinningwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Wrecks View Post
Is this an indication that Unicyclists do normal stuff too... ?? Well swipe me, I never knew that....!!..
Time is the issue, but I tend to be a serial polyhobbyist. I can only really obsess over one thing at a time, though I'm trying to keep up with the archery and Uke. It's fitting work in that can get tricky.
Old 2016-08-12, 06:55 PM   #23
Spinningwoman

Also, I like that here these things seem 'normal'.
Old 2016-08-12, 07:01 PM   #24
Regina Wrecks

I am sort of retired really, although I am as busy as a busy thing. My wife fails to get excited over my triumphs and has done for years. It is not her fault, she is just used to my telling her, coupled with a demonstration, in which I come a cropper rather spectacularly usually. Many years ago I had an old manual advance and retard motorcycle of large size. I got it wrong one Wet and miserable Sunday so I fixed it inside the shed... !!! I kicked the thing into life, the thing backfired and launched me bodily through the back wall of the said shed. As I sat there getting drenched, amidst a heap of broken wood, I thought then that I will never do that agin, but I do every time I get a UPD off the unicycle..... am I put off?, you better doubt it because it 'aint stopped me yet.... I am like you, loads of hobby's, no time etc etc... keep it up and keep peddling bravely..!!
Old 2016-08-12, 07:12 PM   #25
Spinningwoman

That reminds me of the time before we were married when my now-husband put me in charge of the accelerator on his van while he pushed from behind to get it out of snow. I couldn't drive at the time. Unfortunately I was wearing moon boots and when my foot went down it got wedged down and took it through the neighbour's fence.
Old 2016-08-12, 08:40 PM   #26
Regina Wrecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
That reminds me of the time before we were married when my now-husband put me in charge of the accelerator on his van while he pushed from behind to get it out of snow. I couldn't drive at the time. Unfortunately I was wearing moon boots and when my foot went down it got wedged down and took it through the neighbour's fence.

See, now you can laugh about it and it wasn't really that serious was it, much like falling off a log, or a unicycle.....
Old 2016-08-13, 02:34 AM   #27
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

You're making excellent progress Spinningwoman! Welcome to our community. Interesting that you bring up archery, I was thinking of combining it with unicycling, though I would first have to learn how to do archery. Unicycle-archery, that would make an interesting sport come to think of it.

A very important thing to remember is to relax. Take deep breaths, and also take breaks during long practice sessions, every 15 to 20 minutes sit down and relax for a few minutes, or run and jump around like a maniac, which I sometimes do. If possible, listen to relaxing music while unicycling. Whatever works for you!

If a total doofus like me could learn how to unicycle, anyone can learn. At the rate you're improving, you'll be stealing from the rich and giving to the poor on your unicycle in no time.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 05:54 AM   #28
Spinningwoman

Archery isn't hard to learn. It's hard to get really good at, but surprisingly easy to get to the point where you are hitting the target most of the time. Horseback archery is amazing, which is why unicycle archery is actually a good idea - there are not many other modes of transport where you can move quickly and control your mount while leaving your hands free for the bow.
Old 2016-08-13, 08:40 AM   #29
OorWullie
Unicyclist

They say it's harder to learn new things as you get older. I have disagreed with this for a few years. My thinking is the actual learning is about the same, but it's harder to find the time to learn as you get older!

What kind of ukulele do you have? I bought my wife a baritone uke a while back, it's about half the size of a guitar and has a lovely deep tone. She says the nylon strings are nicer on her fingers, I had got her a guitar a couple of years ago and the steel strings hurt her.

On the plus side, I got fed up seeing said guitar sitting gathering dust so I learned to play it. I'm not great but at least it gets used now!
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 09:08 AM   #30
Spinningwoman

I have sopranos and a tenor. I don't yet have a baritone, though I would like one. I am practicing using the fabulous Yousician app which doesn't use baritone tuning, so that's for the future. (It is what kept my uke from gathering dust - does guitar, bass and piano too )

Tags
beginner, devon, learner, learning journal, slow progress