Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-03-12, 09:36 PM   #31
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberRider View Post
Not sure it will make much difference, but you realise you can reassemble it with the loop bar brackets above the t-bar stem rather than underneath?

And then maybe angle grind off the lower outside edges so your legs aren't nudging a corner.

Also, any chance you could measure the width of the t-bar (cross bar)?, I'm thinking of getting one. cheers
The annoying thing is, the brackets are pretty much the same width as the T-bar bit. Shaving the ends off would probably gain you 2mm at most.

The T-bar is 4" across.

And yepp, I have it arranged so the T-bar is on the bottom now (as opposed to the pictures from earlier). It's made the rubbing a bit less annoying (You're rubbing a slightly rounded surface as opposed to an edge) but not gotten rid of it. I really want to try bringing it down a lot further, but I'll have to mount it onto the seatpost clamp location to go any lower. Plus I like the hand position of it right now, so it's sort of a toss-up between a nice hand position and annoying leg-rub (which only really happens if I wear baggy pants anyway).

Sorry for the potato photo, my phone has no flash

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2015-03-12 at 09:40 PM.
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 08:39 PM   #32
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Piece Maker, do you still ride with this handle?

Last edited by Vertigo; 2015-05-17 at 08:44 PM.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 12:00 PM   #33
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I do! And the foam noodle is getting ripped to shreds with my constant UPD's. I've even scratched the metal underneath it Might have to replace the foam with something a bit tougher at some point.

It's still completely solid, zero flex on the handle iself. The T-thing still gets in the way if I wear baggy pants. I've wrecked a water bottle from a UPD that fired the bottle out the front of the handle and straight into the ground, as it was mounted on the seatpost stem part, aiming forwards Think I'll be investing in a Camelback of some sort, as bottle cages cause me nothing but trouble.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2015-05-18, 06:29 PM   #34
Macavity224
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Think I'll be investing in a Camelback of some sort, as bottle cages cause me nothing but trouble.
Yes. This. I lasted maybe 3 muni rides before I couldn't stand having to stop, unbuckle my bag, take it off, take my gloves off, get a drink of water, put it all back...etc., so I broke down and bought one.

I'm going to say it: the Camelbak may be one of the greatest inventions of all time.

Sun 20" (Second hand)
Nimbus II 20"
Nimbus Oracle 26"
Kris Holm 36" (2015)
Macavity224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 07:23 PM   #35
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

On my 29er i just attached a bottle cage to the frame, so it's pointing upwards with my seatpost:

And on the 36er I attach it to the underside of the Q-Handle, as the seat tube/post is too short to fit a bottle in (At least, being able to get it back out again...)

Both setups end up with a bottle flying through the air upon a UPD. I busted my bottle by cranking up a hill and failing to crank hard enough - I fell forwards, my handlebar hit the floor, and my bottle fired out, smashing the lid up. They both allow me to drink while riding (With a bit of practice in the case of the 29er setup) so that's not a problem though. Still getting a backpack though - I tend to take an extra 2 water bottles in the backpack to refill the frame one, so I still end up getting the bag off to sort all that out!

To be fair, I got that bottle from a pound shop (And I think I got 2 for my pound...) so I'm not exactly crying over it. But I don't really want it happening again on a ride where I actually need to keep sipping it!

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2015-05-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 2015-05-19, 12:54 AM   #36
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Thanks Piece Maker. I'm starting to use handle bars. Just wondering about all the different ones available. It's been kind of difficult for me to get use to the weight in the front. I can mount and dismount (usually) but it feels awkward.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 07:56 PM   #37
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
has anybody used this as a touring rack? Seems like it would be a perfect platform for a bag mounted on the top and bottom. Plenty of adjustment. I know there was some issues with it being too wide, but that shouldn't be a problem with it mounted backwards.
Old 2015-12-17, 07:22 AM   #38
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Yes, Pankeoirat has, see here: http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthr...51#post1648051
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 01:45 AM   #39
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Toilet roll? Are German roads that scary?

To keep this thread on topic - I've been using this Q-Handle for a while now, and I'm starting to see some major glaring issues with the T part of it. I've destroyed more than one pairs of pants on it now, just because my legs naturally rub against the T bit as I pedal. For now, I've slammed the bar as high up as it'll go so it basically sits flush with the bottom of my saddle, and that's helped a fair bit, but it's still there and I can still feel it as I pedal.

Aside from that, the handlebar has remained epically solid and I still love the shape. I've had a bit of trouble finding a front light that'll work well on it (I need a bright headlight for my commute as some of it is unlit), because not all of them mount in a way that allows them to be parallel with the bar they're mounted to, and I managed to smash a light attaching it to the leading tip of the handlebar and UPD'ing at high speed
Old 2015-12-18, 03:26 PM   #40
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
no helmet mount? I've found that the cheap chinese LED lights put out 700-1000 lumens and can be had for around 30 bucks. The batteries are definitely sketch, but it's been working well for me so far this winter. Hey, you never know when toilet paper may come in handy : P I mean, I would think a towel would be more appropriate, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 2015-12-19, 01:50 PM   #41
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I've been using a cheap Chinese Cree light strapped to my head for a few years now, it's still going but I have replaced the battery packa s the original one set on fire

I just don't like having it on my head that much... After putting it on my bike handlebars I realised how much better it is, and would like that for my uni too

Like I said, I did have it mounted to the front of my handlebars but I smashed it up when I UPD'ed with them (The light still works, but the mounting bracket shattered so I've had to bodge it on since...)

So yeah, I want a handlebar mounted one, that'll allow me to put it further back on the handlebar and point it forward. Not to mention the repeated re-soldering of wires in my current light have left it a bit dim and it occasionally cuts out completely
Old 2015-12-21, 02:21 AM   #42
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Has anyone ever crashed hard onto their helmet where the light is attached? I've always wondered if that would be a safety concern or not.

Not that I've ever hit my head while riding/crashing a uni, helmet or not. But that one time you need it to work...
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-21, 09:15 AM   #43
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Has anyone ever crashed hard onto their helmet where the light is attached? I've always wondered if that would be a safety concern or not.
No, but the light often hooks into branches or bushed and tears my head back.
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 10:51 AM   #44
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

I continue this discussion here

thanks piece maker for your answer.

Have kh handle on my 29 and my 36.
For my new muni project I decided to use the Q-handle I already had.

Since it is a 26er I can fix it lower (on the frame)than on a 36er.
Too low and my knees can touch the handle loop, too high my large legs are rubbing against the T

When I put it at about the center of the frame, like on the second pic, my right leg only rubs sometimes, not so annoying, and my knees never touches the handle loop.

To avoid any rubbing issues I am thinking about finding a longer stem

In this piece maker's pic we can see that the stem is 12cm long (center to center)

I can find longer stem but not so longer: 13cm is the max I can find so far on the internet without looking for tandem stems (that doesn't necessary fit the T and that are louder, more expensive and more inclined), and I don't know if one more cm is enough to avoid the rubbing issues.
I will try to virtually check it out.

Do you guys have stem references that can fit? (longer than 13cm or adjustable).

I have seen pretty long stem pics in the home made handle bars threads, but I don't want to add too much weight nor spending too much.

The q-handle may look heavier than kh t-bar but is actually lighter or equal (didn't weight it).
Also thinking about going without handle, but so much used to handlebars on my unis.

There also is an interesting place in the loop to put the brake lever.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.

Last edited by UniDreamerFR; 2016-01-17 at 10:54 AM.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-18, 08:36 AM   #45
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Didn't have my unis under hand when I posted my last post.
I just measured the stem, it's not 12 but 13cm center to center, so already the max length I can find in the aftermarket so far.

Anyway, when I see this video I really wonder if it's worth it to keep a handle, especially if I mount the brake lever under the seat.

In the other hand, the saved weight if I remove the handle is about 1/10 of the muni's weight, and it only occasionally rubs my legs, so will it make a big difference if I remove it?
existential questions here
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qhandle, quax