Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-11-18, 02:40 AM   #16
anton005
Unicyclist

Recently I built a shockingly similar setup to this, except I used two separate clip on aero bars instead of the one piece u-shaped one they use. It was rock solid and had a lot of adjustment options, one problem though... My thighs rubbed on it, too wide. I went only on one or two rides and ended up with bruises. Had to take it off.

My setup didn't seem too much wider than this one. Mine was a bit closer to the seat vs theirs being lower, maybe that will make the difference. I hope so.

Last edited by anton005; 2014-11-18 at 02:43 AM.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 04:58 PM   #17
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-...ng-handle.html

Now on sale at UDC UK! Not sure how long this has been there

£13 cheaper than the KH, and half the price of the Nimbus setup. Very tempting...

Apparently 590g without the foam cover, so lighter than the KH too (Not sure how they've managed that... the KH uses far less metal by the look of it?)

Only thing that's making me want the KH bar instead, is it seems like it'd have more space to put stuff - Front light (As the handle would take away the space on my frame I currently have it), bottle cage, clown-horn, wine rack... I'm not sure how I'd feel putting these on the loop-bar, I'd much rather put them on a single straight bar of the KH. Any opinions on this before I bite?

It also doesn't look very long, though that could just be the photos. I've never ridden with a bar, so it might not be a problem at first, but if I ever want to extend it out further, seems my options are limited unless I want to start clipping aero bars to the end of it.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2015-01-23 at 04:59 PM.
Piece Maker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-26, 06:32 PM   #18
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Alright I've messaged UDC UK about my sizing question. Roger's answer, while absolutely correct, didn't really answer my question - he basically told me that there are too many variables (such as the angle, and the position on the seatpost you've set the bar to) to give me a reliable figure.

I've ordered one, so I'll post all the measuremants I can think of here - I think the easiest way to do this is just to measure the two seperate parts and let those numbers speak for themselves. I'm still interested to know how long a KH bar is though (I suppose just measure the bar itself, from end to end, and add how long your bull-bars are?) for comparison's sake.

So there's me excited for the coming week - I get to try out a handlebar for the first time, AND I get to test a new unicycle product that, as far as we see on this thread, no one seems to have tried yet!
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2015-01-26, 07:16 PM   #19
davejh
Unicyclist

A T-Bar is 35cm long and 15 wide. A shadow bar is 42cm long and 16 wide (and noticeably heavier).

Good luck trying the new style and I hope it works out well for you. Mounting space for lights looks a bit of a premium (although some plastic pipe between the two sides of the hoop would soon fix that).

Last edited by davejh; 2015-01-26 at 07:20 PM.
davejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-26, 09:07 PM   #20
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejh View Post
A T-Bar is 35cm long and 15 wide. A shadow bar is 42cm long and 16 wide (and noticeably heavier).

Good luck trying the new style and I hope it works out well for you. Mounting space for lights looks a bit of a premium (although some plastic pipe between the two sides of the hoop would soon fix that).
Cheers for those measurements! I assume the Shadow is slightly longer to account for it attaching at the middle of the saddle as opposed to the nose.

I plan to keep my lights right where they are (Above and below the seatpost clamp) and mount the handle as high up the seatpost as I can. When required, I'll strap my headlamp to the front of the loop-bar probably (It uses rubber bands to attach it to stuff, so I'm not gonna ruin the foam), but I only really use that if I'm going to be riding in the dark forests for prolonged periods (And I usually strap it to my head anyway!). Your idea is pretty good too though... Sort of make a laddering inside the loop? I dunno, I'll experiment!

I don't have a brake, so I don't need to worry about where to put that. But I'd imagine unless you like your brake lever nowhere near your hand, you'd probably have to remove the foam (Or cut a section out), use bar-tape or just stick some rubber grips where you like it. Or just mount the bar lower to leave space for the under-saddle lever mount.
Old 2015-01-28, 02:46 PM   #21
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Well, here it is, the moment we've all been waiting for!

Got me a bubble-wrap envelope through the door today. Mum thought it was a pannier rack... Even when I started assembling it she kept asking me if it's a bag-rack. No clue why!

The bar's a bit longer than I was expecting. The whole thing is about 52cm long (The stem that attaches to the seatpost is a 5" one, and the U-bar is about 40cm from the bar-ends to the apex of the loop). I haven't tried messing about with the adjustability yet, I basically just set it to maximum length and 'more or less straight' from the seatpost, and well, I took a quick test-ride and it felt great, so I dunno if I'll be adjusting it much anyway.

Annoyingly, the T-bar from the stem is *slightly* too wide, so my knees tapped it every now and then. Not sure if this is something I can learn to get over, or if I'm gonna have to take it down on the seatpost a bit (Or even do as they suggest and use it as a seatpost clamp).

Next annoyance, and I've noticed this with a few Qu-Ax products now, is that the bolts for the stem are fairly small, so its hard to find an allen-key long enough to really give them a good tighten. I suspect I'll be checking that before every ride for the next few weeks, as those four bolts are where the angular adjustment is so I REALLY don't want those to fail. But the whole thing feels really solid, so it might not be a problem!

I really like the U-shaped bar. Even as a handlebar-noobie, I found I could use all the different spots on it to grab onto, which bike riding has taught me is important. Keep your hands moving about, that way they don't fall asleep!

The weird rubber foam noodle that goes round the bar was REALLY tight. My mum recommended I soak it in hot water to make it expand, which allowed me to (slowly) slip it on. It moves around a bit, but hopefully once it dries out it'll cling on a bit better. Otherwise I might just tape it down using some leftover gorilla-tape from my failed tubeless experiment

The whole thing feels really light, in fact I don't even feel the weight when riding (After hearing stories on here about bars making people fall face-forward, I got worried!).

Quick video (Probably gonna have to wait till it finnishes processing, nice one YouTube!):

EDIT: Didn't realise that picture would be rotated. It's not rotated on my computer, so god knows what happened there. Turn your heads over!
Attached Images

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2015-01-28 at 02:50 PM.
Old 2015-02-04, 04:01 PM   #22
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Alrighty I've had the bar a week now, and I've got an annoyance with it that I can't seem to get rid of.

The T-shape the loop clamps to? It's too wide. It rubs the inside of my legs no matter where I put it. Can't cut it down, because the loop bar clamps are welded to it, not like I can slide them in a bit!

I did try mounting it low-down (As a seatpost clamp) But this resulted in the bar being, well, too low. I like the positioning of having it far out front, and on the same level as my saddle - this gives a good forward lean for powering down.

It's not a major rub, I just sort of feel it. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm sure eventually it's gonna wear through my pants!
Old 2015-02-05, 12:25 AM   #23
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Have you been riding it every day?
Old 2015-02-05, 02:35 PM   #24
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yeah pretty much - the first day I got it I didn't because of the snow/ice, but after that yeah
Old 2015-02-05, 06:02 PM   #25
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Hmm. Never mind then.
Old 2015-02-05, 06:57 PM   #26
davejh
Unicyclist

Do the end caps look like they are removable.

If they are you could probably lose a couple of mm from the end by removing them. It may also be possible to file it back further (although you would need something to smooth or cover the result).

Little clearance issues like that are really annoying...
davejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 03:03 AM   #27
LanceB
This space available

This is disconcerting. Out of curiosity, is it better (or worse) if it's shifted up, right under the seat?
Old 2015-02-06, 12:45 PM   #28
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
This is disconcerting. Out of curiosity, is it better (or worse) if it's shifted up, right under the seat?
I've not played with the height THAT much - Just moved it up and down the seatpost, and the problem occurs everywhere. I don't want to put it too low as then I'll lose some length, but I suppose I'll have to 'for science'
Old 2015-03-08, 09:30 AM   #29
Daphne
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Alrighty I've had the bar a week now, and I've got an annoyance with it that I can't seem to get rid of.

The T-shape the loop clamps to? It's too wide. It rubs the inside of my legs no matter where I put it. Can't cut it down, because the loop bar clamps are welded to it, not like I can slide them in a bit!

I did try mounting it low-down (As a seatpost clamp) But this resulted in the bar being, well, too low. I like the positioning of having it far out front, and on the same level as my saddle - this gives a good forward lean for powering down.

It's not a major rub, I just sort of feel it. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm sure eventually it's gonna wear through my pants!
This is why I took the handle bar off after a few rides. To me it's VERY anoying. I feel it all the time (inside of my legs). Next time I'll buy the Kris Holm handle bar.
Daphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-09, 01:04 AM   #30
CyberRider
Unicyclist

Not sure it will make much difference, but you realise you can reassemble it with the loop bar brackets above the t-bar stem rather than underneath?

And then maybe angle grind off the lower outside edges so your legs aren't nudging a corner.

Also, any chance you could measure the width of the t-bar (cross bar)?, I'm thinking of getting one. cheers
CyberRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qhandle, quax