Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-11-04, 06:29 PM   #1
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

New Qu-Ax Q-handle

Qu-Ax just released their all new "Q-handle" handlebar.
See here at jugglingshop.co.kr

03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-05, 03:23 AM   #2
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Looks a little complicated, but Qu-Ax tend to make decent gear for a fair price. I'd be willing to give it a go depending on the price. I like the U-shaped handle too, lots of hand positions!

Weird that the pictures all seem to be on a KH though...
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-05, 04:12 PM   #3
newob
Unicyclist

I'm glad to see that a manufacturer is finally producing bars with the "loop" design, since I've had to make several of these for 29 and 36er. They work much better for me than the KH/Nimbus designs with separate hand-grips.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-06, 02:06 AM   #4
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
Looks a little complicated, but Qu-Ax tend to make decent gear for a fair price. I'd be willing to give it a go depending on the price. I like the U-shaped handle too, lots of hand positions!

Weird that the pictures all seem to be on a KH though...
I guess if this looks complicated the KH t bar must be more so. This design offers the same adjustments with one fewer pivot point. I like the post mount on this, but I'm not sure about the stem acting as the seatpost clamp. I think it puts it all a bit too low, unless it's on a 36er. It looks like it has a bunch of shims that would allow use on a variety of frame/seatpost sizes.
Old 2014-11-06, 02:23 AM   #5
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
I guess if this looks complicated the KH t bar must be more so. This design offers the same adjustments with one fewer pivot point. I like the post mount on this, but I'm not sure about the stem acting as the
I see what you mean actually. I guess looks are deceiving

I'm not 100% sure about this, but there are videos of riders in... Korea I think? Using a handlebar setup similar to this. So maybe it's already out and not really 'new', it's just not hit the US/UK yet?

http://youtu.be/5DjzSxDYFEQ
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Old 2014-11-06, 02:40 AM   #6
LanceB
This space available

Quote:
I'm not sure about the stem acting as the seatpost clamp. I think it puts it all a bit too low, unless it's on a 36er. It looks like it has a bunch of shims that would allow use on a variety of frame/seatpost sizes.
I think with the shims provided, using it as the seatpost clamp would be optional. You could mount it higher up on the seatpost, using the appropriate shims.
In general, I'm glad to see another option. I may give it a shot, I like the loop.
Old 2014-11-06, 03:56 PM   #7
LanceB
This space available

Just FYI, I emailed Goudurix and asked about this handle (since they're the biggest Qu-ax dealer that I know of in this part of the world), and they said they would have them next month.
Old 2014-11-07, 09:01 PM   #8
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Quote:
I guess if this looks complicated the KH t bar must be more so. This design offers the same adjustments with one fewer pivot point.
You're saying that the quax adjustment mechanism looks less complicated than the kh?!
I don't see how that could be the case.

(ignore the red circle, this was the best picture I could find of the tbar adjustment.)

Maybe I'm just missing something but it seems to me that your basis of one fewer pivot point is wrong. The KH uses a pivoting mechanism where it mounts to adjust height and extends off of that pivot. So two pivot points. This quax sucker has one clamp to adjust the height and extends with two clamps off of that so once again two pivot points or even three depending on how you count it. You can add another pivot point in there for the quax that is going to be a huge pain in the neck, the seatpost clamp. No one wants to fight to get their seat AND their handlebar straight at the exact same time. With this weird clamp pivot where it shouldn't be it looks like adjusting saddle height is almost a two person job. That totals 3 or 4 pivot points for the quax including the one that just plain shouldn't be there.

So unless you are counting the bar ends as a pivot point they have the same amount. It doesn't seem logical to me to call this design simpler on that basis alone.

This thing has two clamps that must be adjusted to extend the bar, not just one which seems like a bit of a waste of weight and effort.

I can see why you would want one of these for the one piece handle but the rest of the design looks like a clunky overcomplicated design with way too much that could go wrong. And on a unicycle handlebar everything that can go wrong does.
Old 2014-11-07, 09:44 PM   #9
newob
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
handle_03.jpg[/IMG]
I can see why you would want one of these for the one piece handle but the rest of the design looks like a clunky overcomplicated design with way too much that could go wrong. And on a unicycle handlebar everything that can go wrong does.
+1

Wow -- I was so tickled to see that loop that I didn't even notice that the handlebar actually doubles as the seat post clamp!

In my view, all four major manufacturers have now produced a lousy handlebar design.

Last edited by newob; 2014-11-07 at 09:55 PM.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 10:38 PM   #10
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

I really like the look of the Coker handle - just wish it was longer/available in the UK!

Maybe if you're really short and have your 36er seatpost right down, you could put this bar BELOW your seatpost clamp (instead of replacing it), but if you did that without being short, it'd be far too low probably (Unless it extends a lot further than it looks. If I get one, i'm probably just going to shim it up and put it on my actual seatpost... though that could get ugly if it starts slipping down...

I know how I would personally design a handlebar setup, and Qu-Ax got pretty close, but just made it more complicated. I suppose they need to add in all the extra pivots to allow for adjustability though.

I'm just now starting to see another huge up/downside, depending how you look at it. The section that the grab handle looks far more narrow than a KH bar. This is good because everyone seems to complain how wide the KH is, but bad because I'd have no room to attach a light/clownhorn. They'd have to go on the actual grabbing section (Before the foamy bit starts), which could make for a weird light angle. One more thing - KH bars are pretty well compatable with other bull-bars, aren't they? And other types of rubber/foam grip. With the Qu-Ax one, you're basically left with their foam or naked bar, unless you buy regular grips and just put them where you like grabbing it. Proprietary designs are never good!

Wow, so my first post was 'hell yeah I'll try it', and this post is 'urgh, problems after problems' I guess I'll have to see the price of it before I decide (And the weight). If it's super-cheap (Like a lot of Qu-Ax stuff), I'll jump on it. If it's the same price as a KH/nimbus setup... Eh, I think I'd go with the KH, even if I hate the idea of it attaching directly to my seat.

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2014-11-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 2014-11-08, 10:07 AM   #11
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
+1

Wow -- I was so tickled to see that loop that I didn't even notice that the handlebar actually doubles as the seat post clamp!

In my view, all four major manufacturers have now produced a lousy handlebar design.
You could also use a normal seatpost clamp and attach it to the seatpost with the shims. But then its still complicated.
03.06.2018: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 11:25 AM   #12
mindbalance
☞ Mind Your Balance ☜

Location: Bath Spa, England #1: Nimbus Oregon 26" MUni #2: Kris Holm 36 Disk + T-bar #3: Triton-Surly 24" LM MUni #4: Kris Holm 29 (Stock 2015)
Well it's avaible on municycle.com - but at 69 euros it's only a tad cheaper than the KH bar. I personally love KH's T-bar. The thing is well made and I do like the way it attaches to the seat with stiffener plate. Seems rock solid and allows for lots of adjustment, and customisation. It's shipped with a wide T sections so you can cut it to fit your need. I had it trimmed down each side so it was a bit narrower. Do it for any 36er. Really helps.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know you can get it from Germany.
Cheers
Felix
mindbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 04:09 PM   #13
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Nice on the municycle.com - lots of info about how it can attach too! Frame or seatpost, means even the shorter folk can put it on their 36er

Works out maybe £15 cheaper than the KH if I can get it shipped to England, plus I get that sexy U-shaped handle. Not to mention the KH never seems to be in stock on UDCUK...
Old 2014-11-15, 05:46 AM   #14
muni123
Unicyclist

I like how all the photos are on a KH unicycle.

Visit municycle.ca for all your unicycle needs
muni123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 04:29 PM   #15
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Yeah, if you go on municycle.com there's one photo of it on a Qu-Ax

Anyone got one yet?

Tags
qhandle, quax