Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-10-02, 02:15 AM   #46
Goat rider
Unicyclist

A mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open

Ever ride a bc wheel? I haven't. I don't know if it is similar. I like to keep my opinion inside my experience. My legs are getting stronger. I may have to, have to try a standard pedal wheel. Once I get some information, I might be convinced that there is no similarity between the two. Until then, I will keep an open mind.
Goat rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 03:10 AM   #47
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

You're right, I conceed. I have no idea what I'm talking about and will shut up now. I was silly to speculate despite general logic and my own experience. Perhaps it was the 'Self Balancing' in it's title that threw me off. But since I've never ridden a 'Self Balancing' type unicycle, all of that general logic and previous experience doesn't mean a thing.

I'm sorry to have been so foolish, and from now on, I'll be sure to keep my mind open.

Enjoy the forum, when you're ready to learn crank-flips, there are some excellent tutorials out there.

Last edited by Killian; 2013-10-02 at 03:18 AM.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 08:25 AM   #48
jona
Registered Looser

Hey Goat Rider,
There's another thread running and just the other day the MTB riders were giving crap to the UNI for being different. (he even has a pink tire).
Now you're catching crap for riding an electric.
I say enjoy your toy. Live, laugh and learn.

Now I want to strip down a Rascal, or equivalent mobility scooter, and put 36" wheels on and cruise at 25MPH.
jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 10:21 AM   #49
Goat rider
Unicyclist

Help wanted - Brave rider

I believe I need a unicycle rider to try this thing. I am having a good experience
And would like to share it. Again, I live in State College , pa., main campus of Penn. State. I own two. Where are you brave rider? If I lived in Utah, I would have no problem. Them fellas are pretty spirited. Don't let me down Pennsylvania, where are you brave rider?
Old 2013-10-02, 01:37 PM   #50
Killian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jona View Post
Hey Goat Rider,
There's another thread running and just the other day the MTB riders were giving crap to the UNI for being different. (he even has a pink tire).
Now you're catching crap for riding an electric.
I say enjoy your toy. Live, laugh and learn.

Now I want to strip down a Rascal, or equivalent mobility scooter, and put 36" wheels on and cruise at 25MPH.
Really? No one is giving Goat crap for anything. All I was stating is that there is little similarity between riding the two. If he wants to ride one, more power to him, that's great.
Old 2013-10-02, 03:50 PM   #51
jona
Registered Looser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Really? No one is giving Goat crap for anything. All I was stating is that there is little similarity between riding the two. If he wants to ride one, more power to him, that's great.
TeeHee......Don't get all fired up......No names were mentioned.....
Old 2013-10-02, 04:30 PM   #52
Darth Elevator
I Love You-nicycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat rider View Post
I once saw a unicycle driving towards me. I stopped and shouted "hello cousin!"
Great line! Made me chuckle.

"The only thing unicyclists have to fear is fear itself." --Franklin Roosevelt
Darth Elevator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 04:42 PM   #53
munimag
Unicyclist

Quote:
I believe I need a unicycle rider to try this thing. I am having a good experience
And would like to share it. Again, I live in State College , pa., main campus of Penn. State. I own two. Where are you brave rider? If I lived in Utah, I would have no problem. Them fellas are pretty spirited. Don't let me down Pennsylvania, where are you brave rider?
If you ever make it down to the DC area I would like to try it. I don't have any plans to be near State College any time soon.
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 05:27 PM   #54
Gogiboy
Gogiboy

Smile room for all kinds?

Well, I don't have much of an opinion on whether the SBU is really a unicycle, but at least based on a basic definition it fits the bill. Don't forget that not all "traditional" human powered unicycles are pedaled either (sometimes they are wheel-walked or coasted).

It seems that the SBU suits Goat fine and I think he should be commended for trying something new. I'm 56 and thus a bit older than Goat, but I'm always looking for new challenges, which explains my move into large wheeled unis at my tender age.

If I have a problem with SBU or the other electric unis (and bicycles) it's that they defeat one of my primary purposes in riding unicycles: exercise. Believe me, anything I can do that will prevent sliding into a deep and irreversible physical (probably mental, too) decrepitude should be embraced with open and unfettered arms (a real plus with a unicycle since my arms are always unfettered unless I'm holding onto the handles of the 36" or 29").

Just wait you whippersnappers, your time is comin...
Gogiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 11:31 PM   #55
Goat rider
Unicyclist

Angry Face planted today

I turned it off to switch from pavement (too busy) to street (downhill). Got in the street, turned it on, turned it off ( I wear big rawhide gloves) , mounted, push, I am on my face. I pop up Monty python style ( full pads & helmet) , turn it on, stop and talk to skateboarders, ride home. The goat does not ride well at all when it is turned off.
Old 2013-10-02, 11:56 PM   #56
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Quote:
I turned it off to switch from pavement (too busy) to street (downhill). Got in the street, turned it on, turned it off ( I wear big rawhide gloves) , mounted, push, I am on my face. I pop up Monty python style ( full pads & helmet) , turn it on, stop and talk to skateboarders, ride home. The goat does not ride well at all when it is turned off.
Ouch! That's one way that non electric is better.
Old 2013-10-03, 01:09 AM   #57
Goat rider
Unicyclist

Face plant = face plant. Pilot error, he does that
Old 2013-10-03, 01:52 AM   #58
Killian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmolagin View Post
Ouch! That's one way that non electric is better.
I have face planted plenty of times on my non electric uni.

Most recently being last week...
Old 2013-10-03, 07:24 AM   #59
jona
Registered Looser

Have you ran the battery dead or down enough that something changes.
Does it get progressively more unstable? Or just hits some preset limit and shuts off?
Old 2013-10-03, 10:19 AM   #60
Goat rider
Unicyclist

I inadvertently turn it off, finger switch - error on my part, as I switched terrain. After I hit the ground, my first thought was full systems failure, a product of adrenalin, shock . After I calmed down, I realized I had turned it on and carelessly switched it off. I am a retired state trooper. I investigated accidents as part of my gig for 20 years. The machine didn't fail,idiot driver turned it off.
Life goes on, riding to work in an hour.

Tags
bought, electric, unicycle