Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-09-30, 08:51 PM   #31
Darth Elevator
I Love You-nicycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat rider View Post
I bought an electric unicycle. I am 53 with no unicycle experience. I have owned it since mid June. It took about 30 hrs. Practice and I ride back and forth to work. I believe I am about to get broiled by purists. I do have some interesting information.
Goat rider, that is cool. I saw one of these on Mythbusters, and I would buy one if I could afford it. I think the novelty factor is huge. In fact, if I could afford them, I'd buy a segway, electric bike (maybe three or four), and a million other similarly cool gadgets. I think they're all cool. If I ever saw anyone locally riding a SBU, I would beg them incessantly to let me try it.

Regardless of what a few purists may say, I think most people on this site would offer you the same warm welcome I do: "Welcome to unicyclist.com, there's room for everyone here!" I certainly appreciate the warm welcome I received when I first joined this forum, even though I was not a unicyclist. I owned a unicycle, but I was not a unicyclist yet, as it took me a few weeks of practice before I could actually ride it well enough to call myself that.

Also curious, did you buy the SBU from a local dealer or did you order it online? I'd love to test drive one, so just wondering if their business has grown to the point where they have local dealers.

"The only thing unicyclists have to fear is fear itself." --Franklin Roosevelt
Darth Elevator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 12:31 AM   #32
Goat rider
Unicyclist

I bought it on line, 10 week wait time. No dealers yet at least not in State College, Pa. Thanks for your welcome. I am 53 with weak legs but a lot of gumption. I pushed hard learning to ride, choosing distance over safety. I hit the ground a lot but with pads, not so bad. I thought I would pick up this wacky skill before I got too infirm and I did. I picked up a lot of mobility, I can see riding the goat as I age. The current SBU is version 3 , V3. I fantasize about what the V7 will be like. If you are a tinkerer, there are some interesting thing you can do to the V3. External additional battery pack, larger pegs and maybe a body with the sexy styling of the new Indian motorcycles. I have a lot of lights on it right now. I want to give somebody as much chance to not hit me with a car as I can. I love yelling at skateboarders and bicyclists " too many wheels !"
Goat rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 03:08 AM   #33
Darth Elevator
I Love You-nicycling

Quote:
If you are a tinkerer, there are some interesting thing you can do to the V3. External additional battery pack, larger pegs and maybe a body with the sexy styling of the new Indian motorcycles.
Sweet! I've seen an instructable on building your own self-balancing unicycle, but I'm afraid I'm not that much a tinkerer. However, I've been thinking of enlisting a friend of mine who is a brilliant tinkerer; I'm sure he could help me figure it out.

Quote:
I have a lot of lights on it right now.
I'd love to see a pic. We've been putting dozens of LEDs on our RC airplanes for several years now and flying them at night.

Old 2013-10-01, 12:23 PM   #34
jbtilley
Muni Foot

I just watched a video of something called SBU V3, which I'm assuming is what you have. I thought SBU was just the acronym for the device, perhaps it is the name brand.

It looks like the SBU would require a bit of the same skills needed by a uni rider, e.g. leaning into the "fall" or however you'd describe the phenomenon. Perhaps that's why it took you 30 hours to learn how to ride it? Is that a fairly typical time commitment for learning to to ride the SBU?

Here's where I'm going with all this - most say that, on average, a unicycle takes 12 - 14 hours to learn how to ride. From what I understand the majority of people that attempt to learn how to ride a unicycle give up at some point (I could be wrong). I was thinking that if the SBU takes twice as long to learn then the SBU would see a similar or perhaps even greater rate of people that give up on it before they learn how to ride.

Maybe the cost factor would mitigate that a bit? In other words people give up on a unicycle because they are only out $40-$100 on what was more of a whim in the first place. I imagine the person that drops $1,800 on a SBU is going to put in the time because they've got to justify the purchase. Still, it would be interesting to see the end results of a device that is nearly $2K that may have just as high of a failure to learn rate as a uni. Cheaper, used SBUs all over e-bay? A company that begins to struggle a bit once word of mouth about the learning curve begins to surface in product reviews?

Last edited by jbtilley; 2013-10-01 at 12:26 PM.
jbtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 03:20 PM   #35
Darth Elevator
I Love You-nicycling

Here's the Mythbusters clip I was referring to. I also am interested in the average learning time for learning to ride the SBU and whether Adam Savage's seemingly quick learning is atypical. And that's an interesting theory about the perceived value of something having an impact on your determination to learn it.

Old 2013-10-01, 03:56 PM   #36
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Elevator View Post
I also am interested in the average learning time for learning to ride the SBU and whether Adam Savage's seemingly quick learning is atypical.
I think I saw a pic somewhere of him riding a giraffe uni so his learning experience wouldn't be normal. (I'm not certain if it was him on the giraffe though.)
Old 2013-10-01, 09:44 PM   #37
Goat rider
Unicyclist

It took 30 hrs. To ride well enough to ride 3 miles one way to work. I could ride on trails and parks long before I rode to work. I have ridden about 70 miles without falling off. I have not seen one SBU, self balancing unicycle, on eBay. I have seen the less expensive models on eBay. I find it interesting and revealing when someone who has not ridden a SBU comment on the goat. I have not ridden one of the pedal variety, so I do not comment other than they both have one wheel.
Old 2013-10-01, 11:44 PM   #38
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

SBU on Ebay, albeit a new one so not really a testament to quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBU-V3-Self-...item233050dbe9
Old 2013-10-02, 12:38 AM   #39
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Quote:
I find it interesting and revealing when someone who has not ridden a SBU comment on the goat.
Now you're confusing me...
Old 2013-10-02, 12:47 AM   #40
Goat rider
Unicyclist

Ouch! Got me on that one. For sale by focus designs, the designers, way to reach a wider market guys. Same price as I paid but no wait time. I get the impression someone is searching for fault. Here goes. I bought two, me and my wife. She has training wheels and can't ride on one wheel yet. Rides well enough on 3. She is adverse to hitting the ground. Also had a brain operation last august and has a balance problem. Anyone else out there rode one or any powered cousin?
Old 2013-10-02, 12:51 AM   #41
Goat rider
Unicyclist

I have put over 100 miles on mine and dumped it and dumped it and dumped it.
Still runs great. I believe that makes comment on quality of the goat. How many people out there have put an honest 100 miles on their wheel and how long did it take?
Old 2013-10-02, 01:11 AM   #42
jbtilley
Muni Foot

Well I wasn't looking for fault. I was just a bit surprised that it took 30 hours to learn to ride and was curious as to how the learning curve would factor into sales.

Anyway, it sounds like it doesn't take a full 30 hours to get to the point where you can do simple rides. It sounds like the 30 hours was to get to where you could do comfortable extended rides.
Old 2013-10-02, 01:28 AM   #43
Shmolagin
Uniquecyclist

Quote:
How many people out there have put an honest 100 miles on their wheel and how long did it take?
I don't know about electric ones, but for manual unicycles many people, including me have put 100+ miles on one, some people even in one day.
Old 2013-10-02, 02:06 AM   #44
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Searching for fault? No, not me... I just pointed out that despite the fact you claimed you hadn't seen one SBU on Ebay, there was in fact one out there. I was simply informing you, that's all.

But I will say that as far as SBU's go; yeah, they're not like riding a 4-wheeler or even a bike. I have no doubt that it did take some time to learn how to ride one, just like it takes time to learn how to drive a car, ride a bike, etc. Congrats on learning how to ride one, and luck to your wife. I hope that it's a step in the direction of you riding a real unicycle.

However, I will never be convinced that learning to ride an SBU is as difficult as riding a real unicycle. And I will also never really be convinced that riding an SBU is remotely close to riding a real unicycle. It's fairly similar to riding a BC wheel, but not a standard pedal unicycle.

In 1987 Takayuki Koike rode 100 miles in 6 hourse 44 minutes.

I'm definitely not searching for fault, I'm just a smart ass with an opinion and a tendency towards sarcasm.
Old 2013-10-02, 02:07 AM   #45
Goat rider
Unicyclist

100 miles in on day is superhuman. I bow down before that rider. Kudos to anyone who has done 100 miles. It takes about an hour for an older person (me) to get a simple ride. The scary thing is the aspect of instant speed. It takes a while to control the speed and not get yourself into a bad situation. I don't get any point and laugh, I am really not in one spot too long. I get a lot of wow and go man. I have surfed and there is a touch of surfing in here. It is joyous without the sweat. I once saw a unicycle driving towards me. I stopped and shouted "hello cousin!" He was in high school and was wearing a helmet with horns. He was a bit taken back, When the weird meets the weirder. He thought I was from Mars. I live in State college, Pa. Any unicyclist want to give it a spin, contact me. I own two. We can get a good two sided opinion on the goat.

Tags
bought, electric, unicycle