Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-01-29, 08:33 AM   #1
MT High
Riding with the wind

The Annual Lilydale - Warburton Rail Trail Ride [Victoria, Australia]

This year the ride will be held on Sunday 4th March, starting from Lilydale railway station at 9:11am. It is a return ride to Warburton along the gentle gradients of the rail trail, 80 km in total. Friends with bicycles are welcome to join in. This will be the fifth year we have held this ride - be a part of history and come along.

Last edited by MT High; 2012-01-29 at 08:34 AM.
MT High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 10:39 PM   #2
MT High
Riding with the wind

*bump*
This ride will be happening next week! A good opportunity to stretch the legs before UniNats.
Old 2013-01-28, 02:59 AM   #3
MT High
Riding with the wind

It has been almost year since the last Lilydale - Warburton Trail ride. This year's event will be held on Sunday 3rd March 2013. Meet at Lilydale train station carpark (east side) at 9:11am. As per the above it will be an 80 km ride along a mostly flat gravel trail. Friends with two wheelers are welcome. We will stop in Warburton for food and refreshments.

Don't forget to bring some water to carry with you and wear sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.

Be a part of Melbourne's longest running unicycle ride. See you there
Old 2013-02-28, 09:23 AM   #4
MT High
Riding with the wind

It's on this Sunday! The weather is looking great. Hope to see plenty of riders this year.
Old 2014-02-03, 07:09 AM   #5
MT High
Riding with the wind

The annual Lilydale to Warburton Trail Ride is coming up soon. This year's event will be held on Sunday 2nd March 2014. Meet at the Lilydale train station carpark on the east side at 9:11am. Friends with two wheelers are welcome to come along. It is an 80 km ride. Bring some snacks and water to drink. We will stop in Warburton for lunch and refreshments.

If you have not done any significant distance on a unicycle before now is the time to start training. Start with shorter rides and gradually build up to longer distances. Bike knicks will make your riding more comfortable. Hope to see you there.
Old 2018-02-06, 12:24 PM   #6
MT High
Riding with the wind

The tenth anniversary Warburton ride will be held on the Sundays of 4th and 11th of March, 2018. Meet at the Lilydale Railway Station carpark at 9:14am. Enjoy!
Old 2018-02-07, 08:58 AM   #7
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Can't do it this year but definitely will in the next couple of years. Do many riders participate usually?

What is the story with two different dates this year?
Old 2018-02-08, 11:11 PM   #8
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT High View Post
The tenth anniversary Warburton ride will be held on the Sundays of 4th and 11th of March, 2018. Meet at the Lilydale Railway Station carpark at 9:14am. Enjoy!
More information about this would be useful to attract riders.

I am interested in general but doubt I could make it this year.

How many riders participate usually? How many on unicycles how many on bikes.
What sort of track is it. Fire trail? Single dirt track?
What size wheels are most people riding?, if everyone is on a geared 36 then someone on a 27.5 may be unable to keep up.
How skilled are the riders, what is the average time to completion. This will enable riders to work out if they can keep up.
Why are there two weekends? Do you do it twice? Do you do it one way, stay there for a week and go back the next weekend?

Would try and get a group to this next year but yeh currently there is no information on what it even is.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-09, 08:13 AM   #9
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

There is information about the trail here with a downloadable map. The map has contours shown but they are not numbered. Judging by the meandering river drawn on the map there isn't a lot of elevation on any of it.

Being a rail trail it will follow the valleys and have gradual gradients. It is a graded gravel surface, mostly flat and there appear to be some long boardwalks.

The Australian Unicycling Society referred to it as the Annual Coker ride in 2011.

Looks like a very pretty 80km ride, ideal on a 36er with relatively short cranks. That is what I will be on next year or the one after.
Old 2018-02-09, 08:34 AM   #10
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

The other ride that would be interesting to do at least part of sometime is the Great Victorian Bike Ride. It has been going for years and does somewhere different each year.

This year's ride appears to follow a rail trail for the first section.

The whole thing is probably a bit huge for an average unicyclist. The second half and the last leg or two are also available as a partial participation. Costs $1000 for the full ride including meals and the camping but it saves carrying your own stuff. Nothing stopping a stand alone ride in parallel I guess but it would be nice to participate with the bigger crowd.

I have already planned an overseas holiday in late December so I would be unlikely to make it this year. Would love to do it one year with a reasonably fit unicyclist group especially for the right route.

Note that Victorian Road Rules (like all states I have checked) don't permit unicycles on road with marked lanes or speed limits above 50 kph. Not sure if it would get enforced for an event like that, even if the police did notice unicycles among the riders. But it is one reason why the first part of the ride on the trail would be more interesting.

There are a several great rail trails in Victoria and I would like to ride them all eventually.
Old 2018-02-09, 05:04 PM   #11
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
....Note that Victorian Road Rules (like all states I have checked) don't permit unicycles on road with marked lanes or speed limits above 50 kph. Not sure if it would get enforced for an event like that, even if the police did notice unicycles among the riders. But it is one reason why the first part of the ride on the trail would be more interesting.....
That must be one of those unenforced or selectively enforced laws. Ed Pratt just rode his unicycle from Perth to Sydney with no apparent problems.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-09, 11:23 PM   #12
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
That must be one of those unenforced or selectively enforced laws. Ed Pratt just rode his unicycle from Perth to Sydney with no apparent problems.

Jim
It is. He police don't realise that Unicycles come under wheeled recreational devices and therefore the same laws as skateboards/scooters/rollerblades. Therefore they enforce bike laws for us (like make us wear helmets even though we don't have to) but then let us ride where we are not meant to
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-09, 11:41 PM   #13
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I have ridden, whoops, "operated" (we are specifically designated as not being riders) my unicycles on the footpath right past patrolling police cars and a large group of police at a breathalyser operation and never been asked to stop.

I assumed they knew the law says the footpath is the right place.

I did consider adding an extra wheel just under the seat so I could be riding a bicycle when needed.
Old 2018-02-10, 12:47 AM   #14
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

The letter of the law aside, it does depend somewhat on context. A 36er setup for road riding is more likely to send a message of "cyclist" than a 20" is, for example. Knowing how to ride on the road as a cyclist also helps in being taken seriously.

I would be hesitant to take this discussion too far in a public arena such as this, as we currently enjoy a level of obscurity which lets us apply our own common sense as to where we ride.
Old 2018-02-10, 12:56 AM   #15
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

By the way, the rail trail ride sounds fantastic but I'm too far away to make it this time around .

Tags
annual, australia, lilydale, rail, ride, trail, victoria, warburton