Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-04-09, 10:03 PM   #16
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoeheadted View Post
More time on the 29.
I would like to, but I just can't cause of knee pain due to excessive crown corrections
Blaznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 03:20 AM   #17
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaznee View Post
I would like to, but I just can't cause of knee pain due to excessive crown corrections
Sounds like it is time for a new non-camber sensitive tire. The problem may be that it may be hard to get a consensus of what tire would be best.

In my case I only ride a 36er and currently have two. One with a Nightrider tire that is quite sensitive to road camber and a Coker non-skid that is not affected at all by road camber. That does not help you much with a 29er but there must be a tire for the 29" that is not camber sensitive.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 07:27 AM   #18
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Yes, I think so.
Do you have specificities of your both tires and rim width please? To help me guessing what makes one sensitive and not the other one.
Old 2018-04-11, 03:03 AM   #19
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Yes, I think so.
Do you have specificities of your both tires and rim width please? To help me guessing what makes one sensitive and not the other one.
Probably would do little good to compare the tires on my 36ers because none are available in a 29" size. There seems to be no hard and fast rule on what tires are better. Some say more rounded is better and others talk of rounded tires that are bad on camber. In a quick search of past treads I found:

"For me, road crown (that's what I call it..) was a big issue when I was using my BA 2.35 on my 29. I switched to my kenda nevegal (a knobbly offroad tyre), and it's fine. I have no issues whatsoever."

"I have a Big Apple tire on my 29" and never noticed any problems."

"Another vote for 'Big Apple' from me as well"

"I had a Big Apple for a while, but the 2.5" version - bigger volume. I eventually sold it because I didn't like how it was prone to road camber. I replaced it with a Maxxis Hookworm, also a 2.5. It's a bit better, but it's a heavier tire."

"I read here that one of the best is the Marathon Supreme 2.0" - which I think is listed as a 28" tire. There's several pages about 29" tires in the "Product Review" section of this forum."

"In my experience the Big Apple 2.35" is quite sensitive to road camber. I've heard that the 2.0" is better in that respect but I haven't tried it. I liked the ride with the Marathon Supreme 2.0" but it blew off my rim a while ago while being at 95% of rated pressure. Not sure if that is incidental. "

"For example, the Maxxis Hookworm in any size larger than 20 inch is terrible. The Maxxis DTH (24 and 26 inch) is far less susceptible. Maxxis Torch (29 inch) is also quite good."

Good luck,
Jim
Old 2018-04-11, 08:33 AM   #20
GizmoDuck
Adventure Unicyclist

Quote:
Hello,

I've read several topics about, but it doesn t solve my problem, I saw everywhere that round tires and high pressure would help, and big apple 2.0 tire wasn t sensitive, but with me it s the opposite.
Stiff tyres and high pressure helps.

Some of the worst offending tyres are round profile, whereas many square tyres with solid side knobs reduce deformation and keep you going where you want it to go.

The Big Apple 2.35 is bad camber, but not terrible if you use high pressure. I have not tried the Big Apple 2.0, but it would seem likely that the smaller volume results in less squish and tyre deformation, resulting in better camber performance.
GizmoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 09:16 AM   #21
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDuck View Post
Stiff tyres and high pressure helps.
On my big apple pressure doesn't change anything, and on my duro 3" it s the opposite hapening, the higher is pressure, the more sensitive to camber it is.

There's necessary a relation between elements, I can find / calculate the relation, but I need kind of database to work on.
Old 2018-04-13, 11:15 AM   #22
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatchewanian View Post
Bike wheel sizing is even sillier than you think. The old fractional 27" size used on some road bikes is actually a BIGGER rim than what is now commonly called 29" in north america. the 27" size had a bead seat diameter (BSD) of 630mm while 29" has a BSD of 622mm, which is the same as the modern 700C roadbike and european 28" cross bikes.
I've insisted for a long time that it would be a lot simpler to designate tire sizes by the rim diameter, as we do for cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawn tractors, wheelbarrows, etc. The 700c/28"/29" rim is simply a 24.5" rim on that basis. (24.5" x 25.4 mm/inch = 622.3 mm. It was an English size before it was a metric size.) What we call it depends on whether we assume the tire section to be 39 mm, 1.75", or 2.25" tall. Of course it's rarely close to any of those and then only by coincidence.

Quote:
About bikes, can we use bike tires on such an unicycle ?
I guess there s already topics dealing about, but I didn't managed to find any.
"Building a true, 700c road uni"
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100627
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 12:02 PM   #23
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Thanks for the link.
Old 2018-04-13, 09:56 PM   #24
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
.....There's necessary a relation between elements, I can find / calculate the relation, but I need kind of database to work on.
I agree that there should be a common thread between those tires affected and not affected by road camber. Here is my current best guess:

Maybe others could say if their experience agrees with this idea.

Jim
Old 2018-04-14, 12:26 PM   #25
Blaznee
Unicyclist

We can make sort of database with :

_ Tire model and sizes
_ Pressure
_ rim size (particulary width)
_ unicyclist weight
Old 2018-04-14, 01:43 PM   #26
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Kenda nevegal 26x2.7: my first and worst experience in term of road camber.
Was it because I Was a newbee ? Possible.

Big Apple 29x2". Best experience ever in term of camber sensitivity.

I don't think such a list will ever be suitable for everyone.
It's partially a subjective matter with so many parametter: pressure, rider's style, weigth and technique, w/ handlebar, size of the wheel, and so on.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 09:37 PM   #27
Blaznee
Unicyclist

Which rim was it with your big apple tire ?

There's necessary a relation, only need to find which one, that's only basic physics

Last edited by Blaznee; 2018-04-14 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2018-04-15, 02:24 AM   #28
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:

There's necessary a relation, only need to find which one, that's only basic physics
The problem is that it is not basic physics. There is a major human factor involved. In your very first post you wrote, "I've read several topics about, but it doesn t solve my problem, I saw everywhere that round tires and high pressure would help, and big apple 2.0 tire wasn t sensitive, but with me it s the opposite." Yet at the very same time others have reported that they had no problem with a Big Apple.

Some solve the problem with air pressure adjustments and some make slight adjustments in riding style. Some report that the very same tire will preform differently depending on the amount of tread wear on the tire. Some report based on their personal experience that the shape of the tire or the stiffness of the tire casing is the main issue for them.

Figure out some way to eliminate the riders feelings, impression, experience or any other human factor and that would be a step toward sound science or basic physics.

Jim
Old 2018-04-15, 08:46 AM   #29
UniDreamerFR
Unicyclist

Quote:

Nimbus dominator 2.
- Qu-ax trial 19"
-24"&26" wheels and forks and spare stuffs.
UniDreamerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-15, 11:09 AM   #30
song
Unicyclist

A Nimbus Dominator2 rim with a Big Apple 29 x 2.0 tire has not caused me any problems with road camber, as I mentioned before, but somewhere on this forum I read that the Big Apple 29 x 2.35 is a different story. This finding was confirmed by a unicyclist who gave me one of these 2.35" tires even though it was almost new because he didn't want it anymore!

Once my 29 x 2.0 gets too worn out to ride anymore, I will try the 2.35 that he gave me and see for myself, but for now my understanding is that, if you ride on a 29-inch Big Apple tire, only the 2.35 causes problems with road camber. I guess that's not the case for everybody, though!
song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown, issues, tire