Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Latest Unicycling News! > News and Announcements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-09-10, 01:58 AM   #46
BenNC
Muni Ben

Thanks for your questions Alex! The first ride will leave from the Cove Creek Campground at 4:00 p.m. We will also have a ride scheduled to leave around 5:30 p.m. On Saturday we will ride at 9:00. from Cove Creek. On Sunday we will be riding at Dupont State Park after packing up, just like last year. Heartbreak and Kitsuma are not in the plans this year - sorry! We will have a detailed list of rides and times at the campground for you when you check in.

A solar shower is a great idea! There is a creek that runs right through the campground too. Bring your bathing suit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniboy13 View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a couple of questions:

Now that check in is at 3:00, when and where is the first ride?

Where is the ride on Saturday? Is it from the campground or are we going to the same place as last year?

Is anyone up for Heart Break Ridge "the trail we did last year" Sunday morning and then Kitsuma that afternoon?

What are you planning to do in terms of showering? Should I just bring a solar shower?

Thanks,
Alex Brown
Old 2010-09-10, 01:38 PM   #47
gratefulbruce
"one track mind"

Send a message via MSN to gratefulbruce Send a message via Yahoo to gratefulbruce Send a message via Skype™ to gratefulbruce
maybe next year

Hello, I am a 50yo trail runner making a committment to cross training by riding my 35yo unicycle more. I rode 1.5 miles the other day (on road), but will start today riding on fire roads in my immediate area. My uni is a schwinn 24" with road tire, and unless I misread the posts here and other online forums, there does not seem to be any MUNI tires that will fit the old schwinn rims. It's great to see events like this are available if my unicycling picksup the way I'd hope. I may be out in the Asheville area in the next few weeks, and who knows, I may even bring the uni/mountain bikes/kayak/canoe ... so many toys, so little time!

Gratefulbruce
Chapel Hill, NC
gratefulbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 01:48 PM   #48
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

gratefulbruce,

Welcome to the club! I'm a 36 yo trail runner (ultra marathon runner) and have been running well over half of my life. I too got into unicycling as a way to cross train.

As you observed there probably are not too many offroad tire options for your old schwin as the main issue besides scarcity is that the tires tend to be too wide to fit in that type of frame. However, you are coming (back) into the sport at a great time as there are now a whole lot of options for new unicycles or the ability to piece part to upgrade what you have. I'd say why not add to your collection of unicycles? There is probably almost nobody on this forum that only has a single unicycle! For a relatively low investment you can get a well constructed offroad unicycle. Offroad unicycles tend to be built a bit stronger, wider rims, splined hub etc... I'd worry that your schwin, even if you could find a proper off road tire, would get beaten up pretty quick riding offroad with drops and bumps and such.

Good luck!

Oh and all the best to all the Asheville MUniFest Participants! I truly wish I could be there!
Old 2010-09-11, 12:24 AM   #49
BenNC
Muni Ben

Welcome!

The down fall of the old Schwinn Unicycles is that the rim will only fit a Schwinn tire I think. The tires are hard to find and usually already cracked from age when you do find them. It is not the best set up for MUni, BUT it is what I rode 15 years ago when I first started riding - (YES. . . before manufactured MUni options). My dad and I used to throw away the Schwinn hub and lace a new hub with a wider rim and it worked well - except for the square tapered hub that would eventually destroy the cranks. That's all we had.

For around $300 you can purchase a very nice mountain unicycle with all the parts that Munisano described - well worth the money if you want to ride MUni. If you order one today you will get it in time for MUni fest or you can bring your Schwinn! Give us a call or shoot us an email. Hope to ride with you soon!

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbruce View Post
Hello, I am a 50yo trail runner making a committment to cross training by riding my 35yo unicycle more. I rode 1.5 miles the other day (on road), but will start today riding on fire roads in my immediate area. My uni is a schwinn 24" with road tire, and unless I misread the posts here and other online forums, there does not seem to be any MUNI tires that will fit the old schwinn rims. It's great to see events like this are available if my unicycling picksup the way I'd hope. I may be out in the Asheville area in the next few weeks, and who knows, I may even bring the uni/mountain bikes/kayak/canoe ... so many toys, so little time!

Gratefulbruce
Chapel Hill, NC

Last edited by BenNC; 2010-09-11 at 12:26 AM.
BenNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 01:41 AM   #50
munimag
Unicyclist

What size wheel do you recommend for the planned trails? Is there still a race planned for Saturday morning?
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 01:51 AM   #51
UNCuni
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbruce View Post

Gratefulbruce
Chapel Hill, NC
Welcome Gratefulbruce! I'm happy to see another uni rider in Chapel Hill. Let me know if you'd ever like to ride together. The fire roads at the Carolina North Forest are a great place to start. The Bolin Creek paved trail would be good for starters too.

Best, Patrick

http://ashevillemunifest.webs.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
UNCuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 02:03 AM   #52
BenNC
Muni Ben

Hello asheville muni fest!

Hello everyone! Can't wait to see you Friday! It is not too late to register. This is going to be the best MUni fest ever.

Please post last minute questions here. I will be checking daily to make sure all of your questions are answered. Make sure you visit the updated website. It now has an updated schedule of events to check out.

Cheers!

Benjamin
Old 2010-09-14, 02:14 AM   #53
BenNC
Muni Ben

Hello!

The tire size you use really depends on the rider. Last year, Ben King and Josh Torrans rode a very technical trail on 29ers that I would have been very uncomfortable doing. The trail was a steep old stream bed with lots of loose shifting rocks. I suggested a 24 inch tire before the ride for hopping and stalling through the many obstacles, but they rode with ease on 29ers.

I think that a couple of the trails could be done on a 29er, but there are times when I would suggest a 24 with more tire volume for these trails. A three inch tire definitely makes the riding a lot more comfortable!

We do have a ride scheduled for Saturday morning. We jokingly call it "a race" but you are welcome to ride as fast or as slow as you want. I'll race you if you want!!! Any one else interested?

Hope to see you there!

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by munimag View Post
What size wheel do you recommend for the planned trails? Is there still a race planned for Saturday morning?

Last edited by BenNC; 2010-09-14 at 02:18 AM.
BenNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 01:39 PM   #54
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Had a great talk with BenNC last night, got me all excited to vome out and ride. Still not sure if I'll make it, lots of family stuff going on this year and my son has band stuff, so I'd be coming solo; even my dog is down (injured).

If we come over it'll Saturday, noonish, so we'd be there for the afternoon ride and dinner.

From what BenNC said last night, the Sat AM ride is a little mellower and can be done on a 29er, but that the Sat PM ride is more technical and is best done on a bigger tired muni.

If I make it, I'll be bringing both
Nurse Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 05:15 PM   #55
littlemenjd
Slow but learning

Talking What a Blast!!

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks for putting on another great festival. Jarrett and I had a blast riding and meeting everyone. The weather was perfect, the riding was great, and the company was phenomenal. (Robbie, Jessie, and family we did miss seeing you guys)

I got some video and pics I will get uploaded soon.

I have already started collecting the bits and pieces need to setup some Muni Polo!!

Thanks Again

Jason and Jarrett
Old 2010-09-21, 12:33 AM   #56
humblbee
humblbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemenjd View Post
Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks for putting on another great festival. Jarrett and I had a blast riding and meeting everyone. The weather was perfect, the riding was great, and the company was phenomenal. (Robbie, Jessie, and family we did miss seeing you guys)

I have already started collecting the bits and pieces need to setup some Muni Polo!!

Thanks Again

Jason and Jarrett
Hey Jason, I'm glad you guys had fun. I was really bummed about not being there. I've been healing a seperated ac joint in my shoulder, so camping and/or riding is out for now. I'll be coming back strong soon enough though, and looking foward to seeing some pics and video. Hope to see you guy's soon.
peace,
RahBee and Family
humblbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 01:01 AM   #57
BenNC
Muni Ben

I love your new signature! Great to have you guys again. Wasn't that fun???

Jeff and Bill rescued me last night. After I discovered I'd left my pump somewhere in Dupont Forest, they went back for another ride to help me out. Woohoo. . . another close call - and I'm still kickin'.

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemenjd View Post

Thanks Again

Jason and Jarrett
Old 2010-09-21, 01:36 AM   #58
munimag
Unicyclist

Thanks for a great weekend!

I also want to thank the organizers for putting on a great unicycle weekend. I really enjoyed the riding, the company, the food and the games - unicycle polo rocks!
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-22, 02:26 AM   #59
UNCuni
Patrick

I had a great time at the Muni Fest. Ben, Diann, Jack, Jeff and Bill (and other I'm sure) - You guys did a great job organizing a fantastic event. I'm sure it will continue to grow each year. I look forward to seeing everyone again next year and making new friends. Can't wait to see the pictures of muni polo.

Patrick

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
UNCuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 04:15 PM   #60
MuniSano
Hartman Rocks, Uncompahgre beyond..

So happy you guys had a great time. Perhaps I'll be able to make it back next year. For what it's worth, I had a great time in Greece and even got to unicycle some (I packed my 20" trials uni); including a loop around the Akropolis in Athens as well as numerous other places between Athens and Sparta while I supported my wife at her foot race, the 153 mile Spartathlon.

Tags
2010, asheville, asheville muni fest, fest, muni, north carolina