Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-02-07, 05:53 PM   #46
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
I'm still writing, though: 93,000 words into my first novel.
welcome to the club: I am around my 40th novel (including 6 short-short stories in english) .. (but just 2 published in french ) so you need to persevere! I write "old-fashioned" speculative-fiction ... and it's out of fashion editors prefer fantasy or star-warish stuff
Old 2018-02-07, 11:38 PM   #47
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
As I was performing in a brass-band a long time ago (was it 1969 or 1970? I don't remember)
Do you (have you tried) playing and riding? I play trumpet (and trombone, though have only recently taught myself that, wouldn't say I'm particularly skilled at it) and can play whilst riding, though can't yet play decently whilst idling.

My son plays trombone

Last edited by aracer; 2018-02-07 at 11:38 PM.
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-08, 12:14 AM   #48
BenBrown
Questor

What got me into unicycle riding...

I figure if I keep telling this story I'll get better at it and maybe it will make sense...Several events over the years got me into unicycling...

The first was seeing my athletically talented youngest brother and his friend unicycling when they were in high school. I was intrigued.
Years later a practice with my brother's friend who was unicycling to the post office stuck in my mind. That encounter increased my curiosity and desire to come up with an excuse to purchase a unicycle.
After another span of years ...on the road/sidewalks where I lived there was a young man in recovery who rode his unicycle to meetings and do errands. He seemed all but magical gliding along the street. Unicycling was now a thing in my mind I planned to do, but still couldn't justify then.
The last two factors included having my expensive recumbent trashed at a cooperative bike storage by a well off young girl who told me simply go buy another! (I swore next the bike I was going to get I could store in my very tiny apartment!)
About that same time I incurred a back injury... Upon finding out one of the exercises I was paying for was to ride a stationary bike, I asked if a unicycle would do the job as well.. the therapist thought a minute and said yes.
I promised myself, if I could find a person to coach me, get me started I would raid my budget and get a unicycle at the local bike shop. I ended up traveling across state and attending a 'graduation' of Redford Township Unicycle Club students. A couple of the organizers made a special attempt to expose me to the basics of how to learn.
Practicing at home, then at the tennis courts, as I got better, my back and core improved. Most importantly, I love to explore nature and quiet spaces. The unicycle has allowed me to ride some of the most beautiful trails in Michigan.
What got me into unicycling? - a desire to actively enjoy life.
BenBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-08, 09:49 AM   #49
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Do you (have you tried) playing and riding? I play trumpet (and trombone, though have only recently taught myself that, wouldn't say I'm particularly skilled at it) and can play whilst riding, though can't yet play decently whilst idling.

My son plays trombone

Carol of the drum on unicycle - YouTube
impressive!
I mostly play flügelhorn (but can play almost any brass from sousaphone to mini-trumpet) ... but I am unable to play while riding ... just can't adjust my mouthpiece.
Old 2018-02-08, 07:32 PM   #50
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

I already posted it in a similar post:
"Two years ago I bought me a fatbike, a friend built it for me from individual parts. I thought it was the end of my dreams, a kind of Harley Davidson when you are 50+. To make a long story short, on holidays I was sitting in a french cafe having a rest from fatbiking, when that young girl, about 15 years old, came along with her mountain unicycle. That moment I was immediately hooked.
It took me about a month before a friend lent me an old unicycle and it took me two months before I had my own.
Until then I knew unicycles only as a child´s toy and never considered it as a real mean of transport."
Old 2018-02-09, 03:31 AM   #51
grizbach
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBrown View Post
I love to explore nature and quiet spaces. The unicycle has allowed me to ride some of the most beautiful trails in Michigan.
What got me into unicycling? - a desire to actively enjoy life.
Great story Ben. Riding quietly along trails is my mojo!
32" Nimbus Oracle
grizbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-09, 05:09 PM   #52
Onewheelhenni
He who rides the monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
I already posted it in a similar post:
"Two years ago I bought me a fatbike, a friend built it for me from individual parts. I thought it was the end of my dreams, a kind of Harley Davidson when you are 50+. To make a long story short, on holidays I was sitting in a french cafe having a rest from fatbiking, when that young girl, about 15 years old, came along with her mountain unicycle. That moment I was immediately hooked.
It took me about a month before a friend lent me an old unicycle and it took me two months before I had my own.
Until then I knew unicycles only as a child´s toy and never considered it as a real mean of transport."
Had I ever seen munis before, I would also not have waited for some remote Christmas time.
Munis are way to cooool to know them but not own them.
I‘ll never try: Freewheeling (too dangerous), g36 (too fast), giraffes (too tall)
Onewheelhenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-10, 03:22 AM   #53
Thumper uni
Unicyclist

After a operation for a popped disc in my lower back I was on a bike forum looking for tips on how to make riding a bike less painful and someone suggested trying unicycle , after 14 months my back has never been better I just hope it continues.
Old 2018-02-10, 10:52 AM   #54
twelf
Unicyclist

I saw an vintage video of someone riding a unicycle, I think the video was from the 1930s or 1940s. The man was wearing a suit and I thought he looked dapper while riding the unicycle.

The next year, I bought a unicycle because I thought it looked cool just like th man in the video
twelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
riding, unicycle